+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a blanket

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need a blanket

Until my workshop is complete, I only have a 12' x 16' man cave (which can be described as rough and ready) where the interior walls are a mix of herringbone 1x6's, hardiebacker around the wood stove and some OSB on the walls. Concrete floor.

So rather then tear everything apart to spark proof, my plan is, using welding curtains, to create a 4 sided work area . But which ones?

There's vermiculite coated fiberglass, various straight fiberglass with differing finishing processs and carbon fiber felt.

My main concern is to not buy something that will shed and ptotentially cause skin and lung irritation.

Any experience that can be shared using blankets for a similar purpose appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need a blanket

cheapest and safest is throw up some 1/2 drywall, tape and spackle the seams..spark and mildly fire proof and safe to work around...

3. Likes Broccoli1, ronsii, walker, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    cheapest and safest is throw up some 1/2 drywall, tape and spackle the seams..spark and mildly fire proof and safe to work around...
    Thanks Hobbytime. I'll give it serious consideration. It's just that I was hoping to find a simple solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Any welding blanket I've ever owned sheds fibers. They get worse with age. I hate them, but they do serve a purpose.

6. Likes 12V71, Lemarque liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's chrome leather welding blankets and there's also the good old plastic welding curtains - the green or red ones that protect against flashing. None of these shed and are fairly inexpensive and are good for other purposes like wind shielding outside etc. Easy to fold up and put away. Both come with eyelets to hang as a curtain or tie to a frame.

8. Likes ronsii, Hobbytime, Lemarque liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn’t get simpler, or cheaper than throwing up drywall. Another option would be to use sheets of 20 gauge galvanized steel. The plastic screens do not stop fire.

10. Likes Hobbytime, Lemarque liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drywall is the cheapest, concrete board is better.

You can buy rolls of welding curtain online pretty cheap. I got a 6' x 100' roll of yellow see through for like $3 a foot.

If you want a real expensive way, I have 4' x 6' leather welding blankets that I use in industrial food plants, they cant have any fibers floating there. They are over $100 each.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist