Thread: Air Compressor Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Air Compressor Safety

I found this in a forum unrelated to welding, the guy posted it after his friend was seriously injured during a similar circumstance. It got me looking at my 25 year old Craftsman 25 gallon compressor and I too found lots of rust on the outside and around the welded seams. I can't imagine what the inside of mine looks like. I pulled the plug and now will shop for a new one.
    Stay safe.

My compressor

Name:  CompRust.png
Views: 352
Size:  1.49 MB
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

2. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Compressor Safety

Years ago a member here had a compressor tank come
    apart with at least one person being pretty badly injured.
    I’ve since forgotten who it was, but I’ve checked the inside
    of my old tank several times after seeing those pics.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

4. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

couple things to remember. nearly every home use compressor is from china so qaulity likely will be sketchy. and rust degrades the steels integrity. a recipe for disaster no doubt.

6. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer58 View Post
    I found this in a forum unrelated to welding, the guy posted it after his friend was seriously injured during a similar circumstance. It got me looking at my 25 year old Craftsman 25 gallon compressor and I too found lots of rust on the outside and around the welded seams. I can't imagine what the inside of mine looks like. I pulled the plug and now will shop for a new one.
    Stay safe.

My compressor

Name:  CompRust.png
Views: 352
Size:  1.49 MB
    Good call, that tank is about done I'd say.

If you have an excellent air pump, a replacement tank is cheaper to buy if you just get a "noise maker" (oil-less) compressor and swap the tanks.

Lots of cheap ones available rated all the way to 200 psi.

New replacement tanks are expensive.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

8. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately buying domestic doesn't improve your odds either. My IR upright is assembled in the US, but the compressor pump is clearly marked "Made In China" and I suspect the tank likely came from there as well. My son paid extra to have one that was "Made in Canada", but now 5 yrs later his upright tank is starting to leak at a lower weld. I think it's just a pinhole in the welding and not a rust issue, but we'll get a camera in there and check it out before we attempt a repair. It seems to me the last failed compressor vid I saw was also a Craftsman.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 02-03-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

im well aware of the "assembled in usa". go into any home depot and every compressor on that isle has a large assembled in usa sticker with american flag. its a con and misleading to the uninformed. likely what that meens is the entire unit is made in china, probly even 90% assembled there and then shipped to a usa facility where its probly repackaged (assembled) into a new shipping package for transport to your house or local homedepote, lowes etc

from my research, you have to step up to a industrial sized compressor to have any chance of good qaulity made in usa stuff

11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to give you an idea, I paid $600 for a 60 gallon tank. This is an actual tank, with real welds and a welded on pressure test data plate. I cant carry my compressor onto job sites without the data plate, so I have to spend the money for a good tank. My old tank (from 1978) had developed cracks around 3 of the feet. I mounted this one in rubber, so it should last a fair bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea... a pump and motor from a small portable aren't really worth bothering with. I've seen 60 gallon single stage uprights sell for around $700 Cdn, so you can likely do better down there. It's still made in China, but it will be a better unit than putting your old pump on a bigger tank... at least in the short term. Doesn't Harbor Freight sell cheaper replacement tanks/grenades? I know Princess Auto stocks them up here, but I'm not sure what their export policies are. Built a dog house for my upright and I've never regretted it... worth it just for noise/space constraints.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

14. Likes William McCormick liked this post