+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMP 235ic screen locks and wont weld any functions

Post Thanks / Like

EMP 235ic screen locks and wont weld any functions

I bought this new from the local ESAB dealer about 4 years ago. They are called an ESAB dealer because they sell victor products. Until I bought mine they hadn't sold any ESAB welders. That should have been my first clue. I thought I had done sufficient research before I bought the unit. I got everything but the spool gun. To be honest it worked great until recently. I hadn't really used it much until the last year. And still, use is not daily. The last couple of months the unit would turn on and allow me to select a process. Then it would lock up and stop responding. If I went to settings or onboard manual first it would function normally but as soon as I selected a process it would freeze again. I called ESAB support and they said they had never experienced this problem before and couldn't offer advice and recommended I ship it to the west coast repair facility. Which by the way had at least a three week wait after it received the unit. Just as I was ready to box it up it started working again. so I have been putting up with intermittent function until yesterday. I decided to open it up to dee what was inside.
    The thing is really clean inside, a little dust , that's it. All harnesses looked intact. So I took the control panel off and found the connector on the back side was not completely installed. I believe this is caused by the harness tied too short to the framework inside. I added some slack to the cable and reset the connector and reassembled the machine. It fired up and has worked fine ever since. I suspect the CAN was disrupted causing any function that required the network to fail. To Add I never saw any codes or such on the display. I will continue to monitor the functions and update as I go. Hopefully it won't required service. I just installed a new spool after using up the one that came with the machine.
    I'm glad this forum exists because I really didn't know where to turn for ESAB help. The Company itself doesn't really seem to care about the hobbyist or home user. The lack of real distributors and machines in the hands of users is evidence if you ask me. Too bad for the REBEL line as it seemed to launch the affordable multi-process market. Sorry about the long post and the short editorial.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EMP 235ic screen locks and wont weld any functions

Quote Originally Posted by weldedhorse View Post
    Just as I was ready to box it up it started working again. so I have been putting up with intermittent function until yesterday. I decided to open it up to dee what was inside.
    The thing is really clean inside, a little dust , that's it. All harnesses looked intact. So I took the control panel off and found the connector on the back side was not completely installed. I believe this is caused by the harness tied too short to the framework inside. I added some slack to the cable and reset the connector and reassembled the machine. It fired up and has worked fine ever since.
    Your new member post yesterday made is sound like you have an unresolved problem.
    This post says you fixed it yesterday.
    Working fine ever since some time yesterday?

Is this just a rant post?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a two year old rant. As a west coast warranty center we haven't been that busy sense covid hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I was unclear in my original post for this thread and also my intro post. When I decided to join this forum it was because I had a problem with my ESAB 235. The problem was several months old and getting more frequent. I had spoken to ESAB tech support(about 3 months ago) on the east coast and they hadn't heard of my concern before and suggested I contact a warranty center in the San Francisco Bay area. I did and they said they had a back log of 3 weeks. I said I would continue to gather symptoms as I needed the welder at the time even as erratic as it was. I finished my project and then the welder sat until my next project then it seemed to quit for good with the symptoms I had mentioned in my previous post. I looked around here and other internet sources and could not find a direct solution but I was able to gain some knowledge as to how this machine works. I decided (2 days ago) that because it was out of warranty anyway what harm could come if I took a look inside. That is when I found the unseated connector. And for the past couple days it has worked flawlessly. At this point I think it will continue to do so. I am glad this forum is here and I will continue to scan and use it as needs arise. Through his quick responses, ccawgc is clearly committed and willing to help. As stated under my username I am just a solderer. My goal is to improve on that. I'll admit I was a little put off at first with ESAB. I hope to rise above that. Thanks for your attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the ESAB welders I've had and used - nice arc.

The ESAB online tech support is non-existent - shouldn't even be listed.

Miller and Lincoln answer within a day.

Other than that, I've liked the ESAB products.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I should feel sorry for the guys that buy these machines with all the bells and whistles but somehow I just can't.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist