Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: Price check

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Price check

    I've been scouring Craigslist and FB for a used stick welder, but everything seems over priced to my inexperienced eye. This guy wants $100 for Lincoln Tombstone AC model....that doesn't even work. Claims the "scrap value is 3 times what I'm asking"


    ....so scrap it then?



    I kept reading about people finding these in good shape for under $200 but I haven't been able to find that. I want the DC model as well. I may just end up with the YesWelder I wanted that is sub $200

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    6,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Noidea87 View Post
    I've been scouring Craigslist and FB for a used stick welder, but everything seems over priced to my inexperienced eye. This guy wants $100 for Lincoln Tombstone AC model....that doesn't even work. Claims the "scrap value is 3 times what I'm asking"
    0
    a tombstone or a Roundtop??

    either way, you ain't getting $300 at the scrap yard for one....

    In any case, Haven't we been down this road with you before?
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Well I saw a Marketplace add in St. Louis for a good looking Idealarc250 with leads. Supposed to weld great for $200. If that was all true that was a bargain for sure. It was in the 60ís and looked to be good cosmetically. It didnít last long so it was probably legit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

    Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Does Mn Dave still have his Dialarc for sale? It was listed in the for sale forum.

  5. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    a tombstone or a Roundtop??

    either way, you ain't getting $300 at the scrap yard for one....

    In any case, Haven't we been down this road with you before?
    It's tombstone, and yeah i had asked before. I was more curious about the "worth 3x more" as scrap comment

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    I'll check that out

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Noidea87 View Post
    It's tombstone, and yeah i had asked before. I was more curious about the "worth 3x more" as scrap comment
    The guy is delusional.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,976
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Noidea87 View Post
    This guy wants $100 for Lincoln Tombstone AC model....that doesn't even work. Claims the "scrap value is 3 times what I'm asking"
    So in other words, it's worth $200 to him to see it go to a welder instead of a scrapyard?

    If so, then tell him you'll split the difference: You take the welder and he gives you $100 ($200 minus the $100 purchase price)


  10. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Name:  6B6AB074-63A9-4736-860D-9BC7BC22F3FD.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  62.0 KB

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    The Lincoln tombstone and Miller Thunderbolt AC machines are always around $100.00 for older ones. The AC/DC ones are $200 and up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    The Lincoln tombstone and Miller Thunderbolt AC machines are always around $100.00 for older ones. The AC/DC ones are $200 and up.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not in my area. AC Tombstones and Thunderbolts used to go for $200-250. Hardly see a Thunderbolt, but always see a Tombstone. These days they are asking more for any old welder and most are overpriced in my opinion but keep an eye out because sometimes you find a decent deal.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    A lot of this varies with location. I see AC only machines around here regularly for $100-150...tombstones, Century, some Millers, etc. The AC/DC Tombstones and Thunderbolts usually are at least $350, but sometimes you'll see them for $250. I've seen Dialarc and Idealarcs under $500 as well....but not too often.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  16. Likes jfh liked this post
  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    I paid $750.00 for a 1980 ish Dialarc delivered with a cart and everything needed for mobile stick welding. Came with a tank and everything needed to tig as well. Boxes of tig supplies I will never use.
    I love this welder , works great.
    Jonath108

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    6,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Noidea87 View Post

    I kept reading about people finding these in good shape for under $200 but I haven't been able to find that. I want the DC model as well. I may just end up with the YesWelder I wanted that is sub $200
    Seems like youíre just looking for an excuse to buy the piece of crap yes Welder

    I hereby give you permission to make the purchase.
    Actually I command you to go out tomorrow and make the purchase

    I look forward to the review I also look forward to your upcoming threads pissing in moaning about how expensive steel is for your projects.

    Peace and love
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    I remember when Tombstones were $75 new

    I have a 1,200lb ChemTron I looked into the scrap value of a few years ago when copper was high, $300 was it's value then...

    The scrap yard took me into a shed full of, much nicer, newer, welders and told me I could have-my-pick for $500. He said that weight of welders are like 80% Steel plates in the transformers core and that, if I wanted to separate the Copper out of mine, he would give me more as I would be saving him his labor.

  20. Likes ronsii liked this post
  21. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    I remember when Tombstones were $75 new

    I have a 1,200lb ChemTron I looked into the scrap value of a few years ago when copper was high, $300 was it's value then...


    The scrap yard took me into a shed full of, much nicer, newer, welders and told me I could have-my-pick for $500. He said that weight of welders are like 80% Steel plates in the transformers core and that, if I wanted to separate the Copper out of mine, he would give me more as I would be saving him his labor.

    Good insight. I figured as much and assume scrap yards all use a similar rule of thumb when paying for transformer welders.

    It's always hilarious when sellers advertise items as only asking "scrap price".


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  22. Likes ronsii liked this post
  23. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    962
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Weíve all heard the claim, ďitís copper woundĒ. Well some tombstones were as well as the round top 250ís. But I talked to Lincoln and was told they switched back and forth from copper to copper plated aluminum depending on price of material. Donít get hung up on that. They canít tell you by serial numbers when these switches were made. They are just good welders


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

    Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    7,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Anyone in the Norfolk, VA area that wants a nice Lincoln 250/250, this one's clean and virtually unused. $550. It came from a State agency that didn't use it. I know the owner. He's a member here.

    Name:  Idealarc.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  40.0 KB https://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/d...263953618.html

    I don't think any of the AC-225s were copper wound.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

  25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  26. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    4,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    That one Old posted would bring $700 to $1500 Cdn. in this market but AC buzz boxes are a dime a dozen. For the OP I wouldn't go over $150 even here... I bought my Sears at a farm auction for $40. It's not a Lincoln but it works.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    7,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    I haven't bought a welder in some years. But my range for a 180/230A AC buzzbox would have been $75. to $150. I currently see a couple of Craftsman 230s on Craigslist in VA. One is $75, the other $125.

    My AC180C was $50, Dialarc 250 $300 and Idealarc 250 $350 with cart and huge leads. You have to search constantly and know a fair deal when you spot it.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

  28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  29. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    That one Old posted would bring $700 to $1500 Cdn. in this market but AC buzz boxes are a dime a dozen. For the OP I wouldn't go over $150 even here... I bought my Sears at a farm auction for $40. It's not a Lincoln but it works.
    And don't forget this one out west "on hold"



    that was offered at an incredibly reasonable pre-Covid sale price. LOL.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  30. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  31. #22
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    4,434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    And don't forget this one out west "on hold"



    that was offered at an incredibly reasonable pre-Covid sale price. LOL.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh I know... makes me drool...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  32. Likes ronsii liked this post
  33. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    7,065
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    My baby wants to be an Idealarc when it grows up.

    Name:  1948-1952 Lincwelder 180C.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  27.5 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

  34. Likes Dave66, whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  35. #24
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Seems like you’re just looking for an excuse to buy the piece of crap yes Welder

    I hereby give you permission to make the purchase.
    Actually I command you to go out tomorrow and make the purchase

    I look forward to the review I also look forward to your upcoming threads pissing in moaning about how expensive steel is for your projects.

    Peace and love
    I just don't weld enough to justify the cost or size of an industrial unit, and for some reason in my area people seem to want way too much for these. I would like to get a more quality product, but I ain't going to pay more just because people around here think it's worth that much as scrap. I asked in case I was wrong on that valuation.

    From the reviews I've seen the YesWelder will do what I need as a hobbyist. I'm not making money with it, most likely I'd use this thing to weld 1" thick shackle mounts onto off road bumpers, or 1/4" to 1/2" thick plate for bumper mounts that my 120v welder doesn't have the *** for. I also just want to learn how to stick weld. If learning on a cheap machine like a YesWelder would somehow hinder me that's a different story.

  36. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Price check

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    My baby wants to be an Idealarc when it grows up.

    Name:  1948-1952 Lincwelder 180C.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  27.5 KB
    Don't remembered if I sent these pics




    Will trade for gold but not wheat....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  37. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,627,351,836.90702 seconds with 13 queries