+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller Deltaweld 651 input voltage taps

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Deltaweld 651 input voltage taps

I have a new to me Deltaweld 651. I’m connecting the input cable and setting the jumper links on the proper taps for my electrical svc. I have 240v 3ph. 4 wire delta svc (this type svc. has a “wild leg”).
    According to the pdf manual I found on line there are two different jumper link combinations for 230v. No explanations as to which to use. Does anybody know why you would use one jumper combination or the other?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Deltaweld 651 input voltage taps

The two different configurators are based on the welders operating voltage. One configuration is for a machine built for 200/230/460 volt service, the second is for 230/460/575 volt machine. This information would be on the machines data plate.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the data plate shows 200/230/460.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to Millerwelds.com then click on support then Manuals and Parts you can enter your machines serial number and find the manual for it. The manual should show you the proper arrangement for the jumpers.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

That’s where I found the pdf nanual I was looking at. I must have been too tired to make sense of what I was reading in the manual. Once I read your first answer I couldn’t believe I didn’t see that.

6. Likes Broccoli1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my luck, after snugging up all the jumper links with a nut driver. I hear a faint “tink” sound that is all too familiar in a bad way. Something copper/bronze just cracked. I give each stud a good push with a finger, sure enough one of them breaks off. 🤦*♂️
    Luckily the part number is still good and a welding supply about an hour away has 4 in stock.

Post Thanks / Like

I hooked up a gas bottle to the machine, get wire fed through the gun. I only have 2 of the 4 drive rollers this needs ( borrowed from my Millermatic 200) but I give it a try with two. After replacing the broken stud I get it wired up temporarily and turn on the power. Voila! It comes to life! I have voltage (about 20 of them) at the secondary lead taps. The wire jogs and solenoid purges. The volt meter on the machine face reads the same as my DMM. I found some scrap and tried it out. I need to get the new drive roll order in from Miller. The feed was pulsing at slower speeds so I will have to wait on a conclusion until the parts come in. Only tried the little gun (300a) so far.
    When the trigger is released and the wire touches the material, it sparks quite sharply. It will burn 3/4” of wire back to the contact tip. That can’t be right.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist