+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to put the ground clamp when stick welding ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to put the ground clamp when stick welding ?

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Did you ever notice how slow time moves when something like that happens. It is like you are watching it in slow motion. Never detonated the ether but I have knocked over the can near the battery and just watched it in slow motion.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Yep, and how you think things like "Boy!!! that was really stupid" before the can even hits the hot terminal!!!!

2. Likes leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    Is a pizzle a dick?
    I think pizzle is the yellow stuff that comes out of the dick.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It simply stems from convention. Same reason we say, at least here in the US, "MIG" even though it's technically "MAG"; for if you walk into a welding store and say you are looking for a MAG welder, 999 out of 1000 people will look at you funny, even if you are technically correct. It's just one of those terms that stayed "stuck" with things.
    To be technically correct the welding machined used for both these process is a GMAW machine, the difference being in whether the gases are inert or a gas containing an Active gas such as oxygen. No active gas it is MIG welding and active gas in the mix and it would be MAG welding. But with all that said sometimes you just need to use the terms and names that are common for the area or trade.
    Mike

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djd775 View Post
    Lot of pissing and moaning over the name of that clamp thing. For what it’s worth, that clamp has continuity to the ground prong of the 6-50 plug on my welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I doubt that the connection from the workpiece lead is connected straight-through to the welding machine's cabinet which is connected to the earth ground conductor of the building electrical panel. There is probably a resistor perhaps an incandescent type resistor between them.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Pizzle occurs at -48.5 F which is when it freezes before it hits the snowbank....well, unless the alcohol in your system prevents it...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought that was a pizzcicle..?

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I thought that was a pizzcicle..?
    Only if you can trip over it....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    To be technically correct the welding machined used for both these process is a GMAW machine, the difference being in whether the gases are inert or a gas containing an Active gas such as oxygen. No active gas it is MIG welding and active gas in the mix and it would be MAG welding. But with all that said sometimes you just need to use the terms and names that are common for the area or trade.
    Actually, GMAW is just the welding manufacturers looking away one more time from the reality to appease halfwits in universities. Tungsten is metal, so that is a poor description of what process it is. MIG originally stood for (Molten electrode, Inert, Gas) Welding you couldn't go wrong with that. MAG ( Molten electrode, Active, Gas) also nailed it down rather nicely. And TIG (Tungsten electrode, Inert, Gas) was spot on. But you get guys with master's degrees that couldn't put batteries in a flashlight without getting electrocuted, writing engineering papers and they get it wrong and then create chaos in the field to hide their misunderstandings.

Welding companies after World War Two and even before were having trouble with the new positive and negative markings. Because there is nothing negative about a particle of electricity, it is just like water or air, where there are a bunch of them crammed together it creates pressure, positive pressure just like air or water under pressure, just like Benjamin Franklin nailed it 275 years ago. But colleges took grant money from the government that wanted the secret of the atom covered up to hide the atom bomb. So colleges reversed the markings on car batteries and all DC machinery. Welding companies did not agree or go along with it and instead labeled their stuff straight polarity which means the electricity leaves the stinger or TIG torch and moves to the workpiece lead. Reverse polarity means that electricity leaves the workpiece lead and workpiece and moves to the stinger or TIG torch. Colleges used to claim that Benjamin Franklin could not have known which way electricity was going, but in fact, he created the pointed and flat electrode test that proves which way it is moving. He burned his face off proving it. When he put a pointed electrode on the receiving end of lightning voltage from the roof of the hillside home it turned into a giant ARC rod and burned his face rather badly. When he had the pointed electrode attached to the wire from the roof, it would ARC violently to the flat electrode connected to an earth ground rod but not melt the point or create a giant plasma ARC.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

15. Likes Joegreen02, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yep, and how you think things like "Boy!!! that was really stupid" before the can even hits the hot terminal!!!!
    Yeah. BTDD. “Oooooh....This is not gonna end well.. “ crosses my mind also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes 12V71, William McCormick, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Only if you can trip over it....
    Some of us are cursed......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

19. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CO2 is the most common active gas in reference to MAG welding. MAG isn't a real common term in N. America. GMAW covers both but most people just say MIG. There are people working in welding supplies that if you went in and said you're looking for a GMAW welder they would have a blank look on their face. I worked with a beeatch of woman who tried to BS she knew everything about welding. A customer called asking her if we had Bessey clamps. I could hear her mumbling walking out in the showroom, what the h-ll is a Bessey clamp? Another time I asked her if they sell much Excelarc 18 and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. One of the salesman was close by and had to tell her it was AC 7018. Another salesman who was clueless asked me once about the difference between MIG and MAG welding. I told him and he goes, yeah that's what I thought too. He didn't have the slightest clue.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 02-14-2021 at 01:55 PM.

21. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the " polarity police" are out in force today. Perhaps a donut shop is order, or would that be persians, frycakes or bismarks?

23. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I'm fully aware of the difference. Your last sentence sums up my original point.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

25. Likes ronsii, leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Im thinkin we should ask Sam bein a cowboy he would know

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Seems like the " polarity police" are out in force today. Perhaps a donut shop is order, or would that be persians, frycakes or bismarks?
    I vote for the persians. Can't seem to find good ones anymore.

29. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK NOW...to settle this stupid argument about squeezie thinga majiggy bein a ground clamp or a work clamp....I stopped up at our shop tonight to grab some wire and some other stuff...on the shelf Joe has 4 stacks of guess whats printed on the boxes? GROUND CLAMP 2 different sizes 2 different brands.

So its a *^%$()()^##@@ GROUND CLAMP alf$%^inready
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 02-17-2021 at 08:34 PM.

31. Likes Joegreen02, ronsii, 12V71, Lis2323, Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    OK NOW...to settle this stupid argument about squeezie thinga majiggy bein a gorund clamp or a work clamp....I stopped up at our shop tonight to grab some wire and some other stuff...on the shelf Joe has 4 stacks of guess whats printed on the boxes? GROUND CLAMP 2 different sizes 2 different brands.

Exactly. Walk into your LWS and ask for a work clamp. I’ll bet you get a funny look and directed to the C clamps or Vices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33. Likes ronsii, 12V71, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK NOW...to settle this stupid argument about squeezie thinga majiggy bein a gorund clamp or a work clamp....I stopped up at our shop tonight to grab some wire and some other stuff...on the shelf Joe has 4 stacks of guess whats printed on the boxes? GROUND CLAMP 2 different sizes 2 different brands.

The fact that someone uses the wrong term doesn't change the facts. In no way, shape or form is it a "ground" clamp.

I would submit Lincoln Electric knows the correct terminology better than a welding shop. They call it a work cable and clamp..

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 02-17-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Shocker....Miller Electric also calls it a work clamp! I sure hope they don't find out the counter jockeys a the welding shops don't agree with their choice of terminology!

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...olt-210-m30148
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 02-17-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    The fact that someone uses the wrong term doesn't change the facts. In no way, shape or form is it a "ground" clamp.

I would submit Lincoln Electric knows the correct terminology better than a welding shop. They call it a work cable and clamp..

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)
    I'm sure they loved you in shop class.

Post Thanks / Like

These are new GROUND CLAMPS IN THE PACKAGE THEY WERE PACKED IN!!!! They are GROUND CLAMPS!!! You aint changin my mind...

MJD.... Shop class?...yup they did, especially when I could do most of it before the course even started and was better at it than the instructor
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 02-17-2021 at 08:55 PM.

38. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are new GROUND CLAMPS IN THE PACKAGE THEY WERE PACKED IN!!!! They are GROUND CLAMPS!!! You aint changin my mind...

MJD.... Shop class?...yup they did, especially when I could do most of it before the course even started and was better at it than the instructor
    I wasn't referring to you about shop class. I was referring to " Mr. Correct".

40. Likes Joegreen02 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the company who makes clamps knows more than Lincoln or Miller? Does the electricity passing through those clamps go to ground, or somewhere else? If it doesn't follow a path to ground it's not a "ground" clamp.

It's okay, lots of people choose to be wrong because it's easy

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I wasn't referring to you about shop class. I was referring to " Mr. Correct".
    I know...what I put there was for his benefit...sohe knoww he aint talkin to someone who dont know nothin. Its all good

I figure if the folks that manufacture the thing should know what its called. If Miller and Lincoln wanna call it a work clamp thats fine too, it dont really matter it still does the same damn thing

43. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know...what I put there was for his benefit...sohe knoww he aint talkin to someone who thinks he got to be so uppity anout what is called what. Its all good

I figure if the folks that manufacture the thing know what its called. If Miller and Lincoln wanna call it a work clamp thats fine too, it dont really matter it still does the same damn thing
    The clamp, thingy or whatever has no idea what it's name is. Maybe in today's age it's whatever it decides to identify itself as. Yes there always seems to be some mindless windbag that needs to correct everyone else who is on the same page.

45. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist