Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: AC/DC desperate

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    AC/DC desperate

    I bought this 7 YO welder from a guy who gave up and bought a MIG. He stated that he had opened it up to clean and lubricate the AMP switching selector, which does work now. He stated he wasn't sure where the last 2 gray wires connected. I think looking at the approximation of the gray wires to the nearest bolt connectors, that this part of the problem I'm having is OK. What is confusing this ancient mind, '79 soon, is the RED circled connection. He said he could not remember if he loosened that connection but he said he did not think he did anything to it??
    Here is my problem, I sent an inquiry and this pic to Lincoln asking if they could ID this connection. WELL, I got a pic of the schematic that I already have or take to the friendly dealer. I do not read schematics! Not required for welding AFAIK.
    Help, can someone take a look at the pic and help an "old newby" out.
    bonesetter

    Name:  lincolnACDC (2).jpg
Views: 547
Size:  97.8 KB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    It would help if you posted the pic of the schematic...
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    northeast USA
    Posts
    11,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
    I bought this 7 YO welder from a guy who gave up and bought a MIG. He stated that he had opened it up to clean and lubricate the AMP switching selector, which does work now. He stated he wasn't sure where the last 2 gray wires connected. I think looking at the approximation of the gray wires to the nearest bolt connectors, that this part of the problem I'm having is OK. What is confusing this ancient mind, '79 soon, is the RED circled connection. He said he could not remember if he loosened that connection but he said he did not think he did anything to it??
    Here is my problem, I sent an inquiry and this pic to Lincoln asking if they could ID this connection. WELL, I got a pic of the schematic that I already have or take to the friendly dealer. I do not read schematics! Not required for welding AFAIK.
    Help, can someone take a look at the pic and help an "old newby" out.
    bonesetter

    Name:  lincolnACDC (2).jpg
Views: 547
Size:  97.8 KB
    if you look close all 3 areas have black magic marker on them, by the white circle 2 hash marks on the strap, the middle one has the x on top with matching x on the grey wire and the green has 1 hash mark on the strap, nothing in the red circle...check the wire for hash marks to match up..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    As I stated in the third sentence. The GRAY wires are not in question at this time. The small blue wire was never removed after questioning the previous owner.
    What remains now is the question of " why is the red circled area not tightened down"? Could this be an assembly blunder?
    I appreciate you chiming in with concern for me not wanting to cause damage to this welder.
    bonesetter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    scsmith42, thanks for responding. I'm basically helpless because I have not clue when it comes to schematics. I hope this helps both of use. See pic of schematic this came from lincoln for this model.Name:  schematic.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  92.2 KB

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    Lincoln normally has good access to manuals, but they require you to provide the CODE # on your machine. It's likely a 4-digit number starting with "8".
    The picture that you showed is of the output rectifier. Here is Lincoln's repair and replacement procedure for one of their machines with CODE # 8777:
    https://lincoln-is-viewer.ptcmscloud...zE2MjYzMDczNn0

  7. Dislikes bonesetter disliked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    Denis G, thanks for responding, Did you read all of my first post. I did all that with Lincoln. Quoting from first post, "WELL, I got a pic of the schematic that I already have or take to the friendly dealer. I do not read schematics! Not required for welding AFAIK."
    Link posted is a dead link.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    410
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
    Denis G, thanks for responding, Did you read all of my first post. I did all that with Lincoln. Quoting from first post, "WELL, I got a pic of the schematic that I already have or take to the friendly dealer. I do not read schematics! Not required for welding AFAIK."
    Link posted is a dead link.
    Sorry I couldn't help. Link works for me. You didn't provide the code # in your posts which limits how other people can help you. Best of luck.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    https://www.instructables.com/Refres...ombstone-weld/

    Here’s a instructible that I used to refresh my tombstone twice . It may or not help you...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    this is a duplicate thread.
    But this might help. when reading a diagram identify as many of the components you can and match up to diagram. Then think of the connecting lines a roads.
    Components are towns and lines are roads. So just like reading a map to get from one town to another you follow the lines. start at the input plug and work your self to the transformer. Or start at the weld terminals and work your way back into the welder. Through the polarity switch to the rectifier then the range switch.

  12. Likes ronsii, R2kone liked this post
    Dislikes bonesetter disliked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    this is a duplicate thread.
    But this might help. when reading a diagram identify as many of the components you can and match up to diagram. Then think of the connecting lines a roads.
    Components are towns and lines are roads. So just like reading a map to get from one town to another you follow the lines. start at the input plug and work your self to the transformer. Or start at the weld terminals and work your way back into the welder. Through the polarity switch to the rectifier then the range switch.
    I like how you put that. I have answered OP's question with some pictures from my Tombstone as I understand the frustration with schematics. Your post makes a lot of sense and I'll remember it next time I have to take a look at a schematics. Thanks.

  14. Likes bonesetter liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: AC/DC desperate

    R2kone, Thanks for your submission. Pics are the best. I did not seem to get my point across to the rest, so Thanks to you the Tombstone is alive and weling
    bonesetter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,624,349,751.66565 seconds with 13 queries