+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1960 redface rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

1960 redface rebuild

Hey I’m in the car process of restoring my 1960 redface. I completely rebuilt the motor had it honed new pistons crank and cam cut new bearings. So I’m to the point now that the motor is back together and I want to fire it up before I completely assemble the cooling system and electricals. Just in case there is a problem at least at this point it’s easy enough for me to access the timing cover before the rad goes on. I can’t get the machine to start I have it popping but she won’t start up and run on her own. So I’m guessing that the valves are just not properly adjusted? Before I go taking the carb and valve cover and the head off to re adjust the valves I just wanted to see what you guys thought or if it might be another issue with why it’s not starting. I’ve used ether to try and get it to fire off but nothing so far. I know the carb is good because I pulled it off a machine that was working. The mag I tested with a paper clip on all the spots to make sure each one is producing spark. Hopefully someone can help me out and I can get this engine firing. I’m trying to upload a photo off my phone but I can’t seem to get it to upload. It’s really close but it’s not just there. Does anyone know how to upload a video off their phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1960 redface rebuild

Did you rebuild it or someone else? Are you sure the timing is correct and are you using solid core spark plug wires with the magneto? I think there's some other things to check before the valves if it was just rebuilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to everything. I rebuilt the motor, am using solid core wires and the magneto is timed correct. I can get it to pop and smoke off the rebuild oil it puffed a flame out of the exhaust pipe when I hit it with ether. It sounds like it’s super close to firing but it just hasn’t yet. Maybe just keep trying to crank it over? I wish I could upload a cell phone video of it cranking and firing.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be the crank gear and the cam gear are not timed.
    Read this thread, look at post #26. The pic shows the timing marks.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...00+gear+timing

Post Thanks / Like

Try to send Duaneb55 a PM. He is the guru on SA200's.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I have those put together the correct way. I have it so #4 blows your finger out of the spark plug hole and the cam gear and the governor gears mesh together with the punch marks on each. My thought was if the timing was way out with that it wouldn’t be back firing or puffing smoke, but I don’t really know for certain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Try to send Duaneb55 a PM. He is the guru on SA200's.
    I will shoot him a PM thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

could be 180 out on timing.
    double check all timing mark. valve and spark. make sure you are timing to the correct cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the timing mark on the cam/mag that seems to be lining up horizontally which Duane said is what you want. I re timed the mag (put cylinder #4 on TDC turned the mag until #4 fired off and reinstalled it with the firing order 1342 going clockwise #1 being top left on my mag) I made sure I have the right wires I’m going to check the spark plugs for correct gap. I’m using 3 month old gas I’m going to try and get some fresh gas. The only thing that doesn’t make sense to me with the gas situation is that it wouldn’t start on starting fluid either. I’ll keep at it today thanks for the reply’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the machine running I think it was just bad fuel.

11. Likes R&I liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 46 SA200 that I bought off Craigslist, it was a crank only one but with a weird "Bubbaed" starter on the side and a IH ditributor...Took off the starter which had a belt to the crank hole and stripped out the crank lugs(?)....which might be why it was so cheap!....any way as a kid my dad had a Homelite mower that started using a starter/generator........soooooo.....I tried that.......set the welder on the lowest setting hook 2 12 volt batteries in series(wire from one + to the other -), hook your ground to the negative and touch a welding rod to the positive and it will wing that thing over like you can not believe(+- or -+ doesn't matter it only turns the right way but it might change your polarity)...I have the + and - isolated with two ford seloinods(spelling?) so I just have a start button that runs off one battery to energize both seloinods and start it like it has a regular starter....I don't have a charger but it just takes so little power from the batteries they last forever........sooooo if you ever have a problem and need to crank it for a long time fast this is the way....takes 3 batteries (36 volts) to turn my 63 SA200 I converted to diesel(ThermoKing Isuzu) 24v will turn it but slows too much on the compression strokes....about 1 1/2 times faster than the Isuzu starter I installed Monday.....Michael
    Last edited by R&I; 02-19-2021 at 02:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Turning the welding generator into a starter motor can be done but isn't recommended on a regular basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Turning the welding generator into a starter motor can be done but isn't recommended on a regular basis.
    By who? I've seen alot of negative info about it when I searched for a solution to my no starter/on crank 1946 SA200...I've started it this way for years now and I've had no problems...I don't use it very often and now that my 63 is almost done with the TK diesel, I'll rebuild that worn out continental or put a diesel in it too.....But all the negative reaction to this was by people had never done it....have you?....Michael

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist