Thread: lincoln ranger gxt250

Post Thanks / Like

lincoln ranger gxt250

Hey guys hoping you guys can help me. I bought this machine brand new still in the box from someone who bought it and got a lincoln square wave tig 200 for free which that was the only welder he wanted so he figured hed get it for free once he sold the rangergxt250. I have been using it here and there. it has 85 hours. Runs beautifully. I have a cover for it but unfortunately lincoln makes garbage covers which arent water proof. we have gotten a ton of snow and extremely cold weather. I finally got a chance to do some welding and I plugged my tig welder in the 220 plug on the welder. started welding and I look up and i see and smell melted something. Smelled like melted electrical tape. I turned it off immediately and jumped up and let the smoke air out. I look inside at where the copper coil is which has electric tape or something wrapped around it which seem like that melted. Im not sure if the moisture in there built up to ice and something got pushed down on it. I really dont know what to do. I ask lincoln how much time is left on warranty and they say it was over 2 months ago. Asked if I had receipt which i explained and they said we cant help you bc you dont have the receipt so you would have to go by the warranty date. He says its 3 years old. I said I know but it was just taken out of box and fuel and battery hooked up not too long ago. I said so your welders are only good for 3 years? he didnt give a ****. A real scum bag to be honest. ANyone ever have issue like this? I called local welding store but they are closed uptil tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lincoln ranger gxt250

Okay update....... I have used the gxt250 to plug my tig welder in the 220 plug so I could get full amperage of the tig welder. I usually put the welder on AC when I use the auxiliary power. I have never had an issue. Started and ran beautiful and operated good. This time I had it on DC+ on the 250 max setting. I didnt realize it. I meant to turn the fine dial to 10 like they say but I am thinking that is where I went wrong. The lugs that go on the ground and electrode studs melted and stuck to the front cover. Anyone have an thoughts? also when you guys use the the welder as a generator what settings do you do on the machine? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to be an *** here, but lemme get this straight... you bought a ďNIBĒ welder from someone, didnít get a receipt, didnít get the warranty validated, the 3 year old welder had a failure (and you literally have zero clue whether the previous owner docked around with it or swapped parts, whatever), and youíre pissed off because Lincoln wonít warranty it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that’s exactly why. There no difference if it was in a welding supply store back room or
    Shelf for two years or someone’s garage. Never had fuel in it and never opened. That’s insane that maybe they swapped parts

Post Thanks / Like

That just proves they donít believe they build quality machines. All good nothing wrong with it just over heated due to operator error had on dc 250 while using the auxiliary power it melted my lug that was the smell. But it does shows they donít really stand behind their products when they wonít even hear ya out before saying nope a day passed the warranty date. I was more upset with the Mutt I talked to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueTouch View Post
    Yes thatís exactly why. There no difference if it was in a welding supply store back room or
    Shelf for two years or someoneís garage. Never had fuel in it and never opened. Thatís insane that maybe they swapped parts
    You and others like you are the reason Iíll never a work customer service role again.

One, Iíve seen people do exactly that. Rob parts off of new stuff and clean their old parts up, put it back together, then sell it to some sucker like you. More than once.

Two, the Lincoln service center has too, thatís why theyíre not gonna fix the **** for free.

Lincoln warranty wonít touch it because the warranty period is up, and the repair center isnít gonna fix it on their dime either. Why should they? The warranty covers it for X amount of time after purchase. If itís outside that time or you donít have proof of when it was purchased from a licensed retailer, they donít have to, nor should they pay for a damned thing. Especially not with someone who, if I judge by this post, is an entitled dick who wants to take his frustration about a bad purchasing decision out on some poor bastard who has nothing to do with his poor decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueTouch View Post
    That just proves they don’t believe they build quality machines. All good nothing wrong with it just over heated due to operator error had on dc 250 while using the auxiliary power it melted my lug that was the smell. But it does shows they don’t really stand behind their products when they won’t even hear ya out before saying nope a day passed the warranty date. I was more upset with the Mutt I talked to.
    You admit to operator error and still want warrantee repairs? BTW... if you melted the panel insulators you must have had the stick leads shorted together. AC/DC settings have nothing to do with aux power at the full KVA plug. But yes the fine current control should be at max.

8. Likes Nashvegas Welder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stayed out of this when you posted it on multiple forums this week but just can't stay out any longer. This is the upteenth thread started by some fool who admits damaging an item, missing a sale date etc but who expects someone else to take money out of their pocket and put into yours.

The welder was sold at retail years ago and whether it was unused or not it wasn't "new" no matter how person you bought it from or you spin it. It was at best new-old-stock (NOS). As you didn't have the original receipt in your name they wisely used the ship date as the best alternative.

" All good nothing wrong with it just over heated due to operator error" my azz! And if you mistake the gas pedal for the brake pedal and drive into a wall Ford ain't fixing you truck either! You broke it, you pay to fix it!

The bottom line is that you made a mistake and refuse to take responsibility to the point where you want someone else to pay for your negligence and want us to agree with you. Shame on you!
    Lance

Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    9" Evolution circular saw

10. Likes Nashvegas Welder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess this isnt a answer to any question but we have a vantage on one of our trucks and we use the 110 outlets for our grinders. the welder setting should have nothing to do with the 110/220 outlets. on a side note, our vantage is barely 2yo and we had problems with the 110 gfi outlets from day one. theyve been replaced once and are getting replaced again this weekend. unfortunatly its caused alot of grief so we are swapping the vantage for miller trailblazer302, which doesnt quit have the same amount of welding power but ill make it work

Post Thanks / Like

If the welder was being used as a generator to power a welder it should have nothing to do with the studs. As others said something else shorted either cable leads or insulators or something across the studs. Does it still work and just need new studs?
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer