Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

Post Thanks / Like

06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

I've had this truck since 2010. About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a commuter car and the truck sits most of the time. Couple that and the salt brine the state uses in the winter, the old truck has gone to hell.

Time for some much needed attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ron_J; 02-15-2021 at 01:22 PM.

2. Likes seagiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

Nice repair.
    Hard to believe 11 year old truck rotted out that bad....not really I guess.
    I despise brine, I do not see any advantage to it other than to make work for body shops. They say it makes the snow and crap easier to remove from the asphalt but I don't recall any difference from years ago when all they used was salt....which was bad enough.
    Ever get it undercoated? That looks like it's a perfect spot to hold salt and crap.................Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Are you concerned about the frame? It looks like the rust has a good start beneath that body mount member for the bed. I can't honestly give a number, but I've sprayed cavity wax and cosmoline into my rocker panels many many many times. Can never have too much! I do a recoat on the frame and under carriage about 2 - 3 times a year, always more often than needed. Cosmoline is available by the 5 gal bucket (or larger if you desire) and so is Fluid Film, which is also a great undercoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    Are you concerned about the frame? It looks like the rust has a good start beneath that body mount member for the bed. I can't honestly give a number, but I've sprayed cavity wax and cosmoline into my rocker panels many many many times. Can never have too much! I do a recoat on the frame and under carriage about 2 - 3 times a year, always more often than needed. Cosmoline is available by the 5 gal bucket (or larger if you desire) and so is Fluid Film, which is also a great undercoat.
    The frame was the first thing i checked. I bet on it pretty damn good to make sure it wasn't any more than surface. Even had my buddy that does auto repair restoration for a living to make sure i wasn't wasting my time.

6. Likes Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    Nice repair.
    Hard to believe 11 year old truck rotted out that bad....not really I guess.
    I despise brine, I do not see any advantage to it other than to make work for body shops. They say it makes the snow and crap easier to remove from the asphalt but I don't recall any difference from years ago when all they used was salt....which was bad enough.
    Ever get it undercoated? That looks like it's a perfect spot to hold salt and crap.................Mike
    I guess the advantage is that is will continue to work at much colder temps when salt will stop. I do agree that it has made the roads better when the weather gets bad, and a human life vs a rusted car is a no brainer, but i dont think anyone can argue that it hasn't taken a toll on the cehicles.

My buddy gets vehicles in that are only 4 and 5 years old that need rust repair

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how old you are, but I remember a time when all they did was plow roads down to about an inch of snow, and just fling some gravel at intersections.

The snow packed down on the road, and gave better traction than a bare road with refrozen ice that's left behind by today's techniques.

I suppose today, and today's generation, is all about protecting people from stupid. Back in the day, you learned to drive on snow, and you lived with the delays that snow days caused. It was not the point-and-click world of today. And...........................we survived

9. Likes 12V71, bfjou812, Ron_J, AlabamaJoe, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a grumpy ol' guy I'm sure ya've met a few

Post Thanks / Like

really nice job on the dodgeName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 438
Size:  1.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how old you are, but I remember a time when all they did was plow roads down to about an inch of snow, and just fling some gravel at intersections.
    65 and yes I do remember, also don't remember as much rust on vehicles as we have now. A lot of that tho is probably because vehicles were built with some substance not tissue thin tin can steel...or wanna be steel.

I suppose today, and today's generation, is all about protecting people from stupid. Back in the day, you learned to drive on snow, and you lived with the delays that snow days caused. It was not the point-and-click world of today. And...........................we survived
    Ain't that the truth.............Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

The snow packed down on the road, and gave better traction than a bare road with refrozen ice that's left behind by today's techniques.

Absolutely Sam. I live in an area where as kids we had more "no winter maintenance" signs than speed limit signs.

Our local TWP still uses anti-skid with very little salt (no brine) and they are always the first to freeze. And to be honest, I don't know that the brine treated roads ever refreeze. I don't know what the crap is, but it is nasty stuff.

Like I said, I HATE it. Wish they would stop using it and everyone learn to drive in the winter (mainly slower or just stay home), but I have to admit that it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    65 and yes I do remember, also don't remember as much rust on vehicles as we have now. A lot of that tho is probably because vehicles were built with some substance not tissue thin tin can steel...or wanna be steel.

Ain't that the truth.............Mike
    I have a couple thoughts on that...one is that the cars back in the 70's were considered worn out at 70k miles (give or take), and like you said, made of much heavier material. Second is that the brine doesn't freeze. It used to be that once it got so cold, the salt would stop working/rusting. Not now. It continues to chew the metal away 24/7, and the fact that it is a liquid form, it gets in every crack.

It's funny, I live in central PA and my buddy has a used car lot. He says if he goes across the state line to Maryland or Virginia to get cars they look like they have never seen winter. I suspect that is due to them not using the brine or even as much salt.

But, since I refuse to pay the price they are getting for trucks, I'll continue to patch this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of complaining about the brine, consider criticizing the manufacturer who only warrants the vehicle for 3 years. I was amazed to crawl under my "aluminium" F150 to find so much raw, not even painted, steel. And while I'm on a roll, what bright spark thought it would be a good idea to use soy-based wire insulation? A warm place with food, what rat wouldn't like that?
    Do not believe everything that you think.

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Instead of complaining about the brine, consider criticizing the manufacturer who only warrants the vehicle for 3 years. I was amazed to crawl under my "aluminium" F150 to find so much raw, not even painted, steel. And while I'm on a roll, what bright spark thought it would be a good idea to use soy-based wire insulation? A warm place with food, what rat wouldn't like that?
    Yep, there is plenty of blame to go around.

Post Thanks / Like

Was able to finish the passenger side. I had to make a panel for the under side. Fortunately there was enough steel to weld to. Its not going to last forever, but it will do for a while considering it will sit in the garage most of the time.

Next, the drivers sde.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

19. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the body work and got the bed back on. Still need to find a door. The local pick n pull has one, but i need to look at it to see if its decent. Hope to finish prepping and paint this week.Name:  20210228_141650.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  81.8 KB

21. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope that you welded all the overlapped panel in solid. the inner rocker panel also except where the factory spot welds go. inner panel rust proofing helps but solid weld is best. make sure there are drain holes like factory one and keep drains clear. todays factory primer is water proof like paint. same for 2k primer.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    i hope that you welded all the overlapped panel in solid. the inner rocker panel also except where the factory spot welds go. inner panel rust proofing helps but solid weld is best. make sure there are drain holes like factory one and keep drains clear. todays factory primer is water proof like paint. same for 2k primer.
    Time will tell how good of a job I did. I'm no body man, kinda learning as I go.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on the repair.

Wouldn't part of "Make America Great Again" include high quality products? That truck is only 15 years old and it will end up in the landfill before its 20. The technology is there but there is no will...that wasn't me, that was my brother the curmudgeon.

My boat was made in '75 and it's every bit as complex as the average truck. I'll probably sell it soon and it will go on floating for another 40 years. It is possible.
    Last edited by Xsbank; 03-01-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    Nice work on the repair.

Wouldn't part of "Make America Great Again" include high quality products? That truck is only 15 years old and it will end up in the landfill before its 20. The technology is there but there is no will...that wasn't me, that was my brother the curmudgeon.

My boat was made in '75 and it's every bit as complex as the average truck. I'll probably sell it soon and it will go on floating for another 40 years. It is possible.
    This one will more than likely see more than 20 years of life, considering it will spend the biggest part of the rest of its life in a garage. When you only put a couple thousand miles a year on them, and they stay in a garage, they last a while longer. Unfortunately the first 15 years weren't so nice to it.

The sad thing is that there are a lot of vehicles in these parts that start to rust after only 3 or 4 years. 200 miles south of us a 10 -15 year old vehicle looks much better. Maybe not perfect, but a damn site better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    I don't do body work, but primer is magical. I mean MAGICAL.

I do a lot of painting on equipment with alkyd equipment paint. What amazes me is...............over time, the paint may wear off, but the basic red oxide primer still provides coverage for the metal. I think, being the idiot I am, that a good primer is more important than the cover coat. I'm just amazed at how long that primer lasts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Twas me, I would have sold the tailgate, scarped the bed, and used the money to turn the truck into a manly flatbed. Pickup beds are for girlymen. I hoping to do an old Dodge that way this summer.
    Only issue with that is in PA, you have to get a reconstructed title and have a special construction inspection done when you remove the bed. Otherwise, I probably would have done just that.

Post Thanks / Like

Its done. Well, i need some double sided tape to put a piece of rubber gasket in the door and attach the visor. Its also gonna need some buffing to get a decent shine, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with it.Name:  20210314_163041.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  125.8 KBName:  20210314_163100.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  119.7 KB

29. Likes Tbones, Tillerdemon, arcflash, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, when I used to do this stuff.................repairs were made with a laquer, and you had to buff it out to match the surrounding enamel. I didn't know any OEM paints (or something that is supposed to be close to OEM) has to be buffed these days

I'm just not up with the times I guess.

I'd be interested to know just what you shot that thing with

Post Thanks / Like

I guess all's I know is enamel. Even the old Powerwagon was done in DuPont (Centaur???????????????? I can't remember the name of the stuff.......it was a basic enamel that was a step below Imron if that's the correct name for that stuff.......was some sorta fancy stuff)

You sprayed wet.........and fast.........on the edge of running, and it made a beautiful finish.

I do the same with the el cheapo equipment enamel I use these days (shrug). It's all about thinning with the right speed thinner, and how ya run the gun.

Name:  paint5.JPG
Views: 178
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  paint2.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  126.6 KB

I'd be pretty pizzzzzzed if I had to buff this stuff Crap should go on shiny, and stay shiny

Post Thanks / Like

The truck looks real good BTWName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 173
Size:  1.1 KB Can't tell it was patched!!!!!!!!!!!!!