Thread: 06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

I've had this truck since 2010. About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a commuter car and the truck sits most of the time. Couple that and the salt brine the state uses in the winter, the old truck has gone to hell.

Time for some much needed attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ron_J; 02-15-2021 at 01:22 PM.

2. Likes seagiant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 06 Ram rehab....I hate salt brine!

Nice repair.
    Hard to believe 11 year old truck rotted out that bad....not really I guess.
    I despise brine, I do not see any advantage to it other than to make work for body shops. They say it makes the snow and crap easier to remove from the asphalt but I don't recall any difference from years ago when all they used was salt....which was bad enough.
    Ever get it undercoated? That looks like it's a perfect spot to hold salt and crap.................Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Are you concerned about the frame? It looks like the rust has a good start beneath that body mount member for the bed. I can't honestly give a number, but I've sprayed cavity wax and cosmoline into my rocker panels many many many times. Can never have too much! I do a recoat on the frame and under carriage about 2 - 3 times a year, always more often than needed. Cosmoline is available by the 5 gal bucket (or larger if you desire) and so is Fluid Film, which is also a great undercoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weldalittle View Post
    Are you concerned about the frame? It looks like the rust has a good start beneath that body mount member for the bed. I can't honestly give a number, but I've sprayed cavity wax and cosmoline into my rocker panels many many many times. Can never have too much! I do a recoat on the frame and under carriage about 2 - 3 times a year, always more often than needed. Cosmoline is available by the 5 gal bucket (or larger if you desire) and so is Fluid Film, which is also a great undercoat.
    The frame was the first thing i checked. I bet on it pretty damn good to make sure it wasn't any more than surface. Even had my buddy that does auto repair restoration for a living to make sure i wasn't wasting my time.

6. Likes Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    Nice repair.
    Hard to believe 11 year old truck rotted out that bad....not really I guess.
    I despise brine, I do not see any advantage to it other than to make work for body shops. They say it makes the snow and crap easier to remove from the asphalt but I don't recall any difference from years ago when all they used was salt....which was bad enough.
    Ever get it undercoated? That looks like it's a perfect spot to hold salt and crap.................Mike
    I guess the advantage is that is will continue to work at much colder temps when salt will stop. I do agree that it has made the roads better when the weather gets bad, and a human life vs a rusted car is a no brainer, but i dont think anyone can argue that it hasn't taken a toll on the cehicles.

My buddy gets vehicles in that are only 4 and 5 years old that need rust repair

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how old you are, but I remember a time when all they did was plow roads down to about an inch of snow, and just fling some gravel at intersections.

The snow packed down on the road, and gave better traction than a bare road with refrozen ice that's left behind by today's techniques.

I suppose today, and today's generation, is all about protecting people from stupid. Back in the day, you learned to drive on snow, and you lived with the delays that snow days caused. It was not the point-and-click world of today. And...........................we survived

9. Likes 12V71, bfjou812, Ron_J, AlabamaJoe, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I'm not sure how old you are, but I remember a time when all they did was plow roads down to about an inch of snow, and just fling some gravel at intersections.

The snow packed down on the road, and gave better traction than a bare road with refrozen ice that's left behind by today's techniques.

I suppose today, and today's generation, is all about protecting people from stupid. Back in the day, you learned to drive on snow, and you lived with the delays that snow days caused. It was not the point-and-click world of today. And...........................we survived
    Absolutely Sam. I live in an area where as kids we had more "no winter maintenance" signs than speed limit signs.

Our local TWP still uses anti-skid with very little salt (no brine) and they are always the first to freeze. And to be honest, I don't know that the brine treated roads ever refreeze. I don't know what the crap is, but it is nasty stuff.

Like I said, I HATE it. Wish they would stop using it and everyone learn to drive in the winter (mainly slower or just stay home), but I have to admit that it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a grumpy ol' guy I'm sure ya've met a few

Post Thanks / Like

really nice job on the dodgeName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 438
Size:  1.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

65 and yes I do remember, also don't remember as much rust on vehicles as we have now. A lot of that tho is probably because vehicles were built with some substance not tissue thin tin can steel...or wanna be steel.

Ain't that the truth.............Mike