Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with broken a Vise Nut

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with broken a Vise Nut

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I understand lots of folks think it will work, but I have yet to see anybody pull it off successfully. I don't know if there's a difference because the part is actually ductile iron, not cast iron, or because it's simply a thin part, but I haven't seen an old vise show up with a brazed nut that was still in service, and I've seen countless other types of brazed repairs on vises that were clearly done a long time ago and held. Along those same lines, I've had so many people contact me after trying to braze a nut unsuccessfully that I lost track a long time ago...they break it, try fixing it, it fails again and then they send me a note looking for a source for a replacement part. Maybe it's a coincidence of epic proportions, but I really doubt it.

I've stick welded vises with nickel rods, brazed them, TIG brazed them and TIG welded with two different Inconel filler wire and the best results have usually been using Inconel. I prep the area to white metal using a carbide bit, then use just the arc to cook the carbon out...heat, stainless brush, repeat until the black soot stops coming out, then lay in a root pass and build off that. I have some aluminum bronze TIG wire I'm going to try next. I'll have to add nickel silver to the list.
    PM me your address and I'll send you a couple sticks of Nickel Silver to mess with If interested. 312 Stainless as well if you want to mess with it too.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frede162 View Post
    Yup that's how I broke the mine. I was pressing a bearing out of a phenolic pulley used on a cable pulldown fitness machine. No cheater bar, and only moderate force, but that is indeed how I broke the previous braze on mine.
    Sorry I was meaning to send this to G-Manbart
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

As a future reference most vices have an Acme or a square thread, square thread is largely obsolete, the other issue is that it may be a multiple lead thread, 2 to 4 "starts."
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    As a future reference most vices have an Acme or a square thread, square thread is largely obsolete, the other issue is that it may be a multiple lead thread, 2 to 4 "starts."
    Thanks for that helpful observation!