Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    What's the upper limit in length for this welder would any of you recommend?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    The manual shows 250ft total for both leads if you use 3/0 cable and want to run 200A...no reason that shouldn't work. Even though the manual stops there you could almost certainly go longer if you went with bigger cables...if there isn't too much voltage drop the welder won't care, but it would get expensive.

    I had one briefly and it came with 120ft of leads (total) that were 1/0....worked fine.
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 02-19-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  3. Likes sedgehammer liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Thanks! you run same length on both?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Stinger cable is usually a little longer. Often times you can hook the thing-a-majig clamp (because there's so much confusion on what to call it) closer than where you are actually welding.

  6. Likes sedgehammer, Stick-man, whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Stinger cable is usually a little longer. Often times you can hook the thing-a-majig clamp (because there's so much confusion on what to call it) closer than where you are actually welding.
    Or worse case tack on a piece of rebar, to extend your lead thingy. Just don't put it on the ground.

  8. Likes sedgehammer, Stick-man, ronsii liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    I was thinking same to M J D and WelderDave. Have used rebar for said purpose already on my tombstone. Just wanted to make sure Thanks

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    This shtuff is just too funny!

    But seriously, it makes no difference which lead has which length, as long as you don’t exceed the limit length. If they recommend 200 feet of 1/0 lead and your welding on a high rise building, you can have a 10’ negative to the building steel and 190’ positive to your stinger.

    For your Hobart, just get what you need. I would suggest 50’ of each in 1/0, if it was me.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  11. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    4,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    This shtuff is just too funny!

    But seriously, it makes no difference which lead has which length, as long as you don’t exceed the limit length. If they recommend 200 feet of 1/0 lead and your welding on a high rise building, you can have a 10’ negative to the building steel and 190’ positive to your stinger.

    For your Hobart, just get what you need. I would suggest 50’ of each in 1/0, if it was me.
    But would the one attached to the building be a ground lead, or a negative work lead? Because you know we can't have a lot of negativity...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  13. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    This shtuff is just too funny!

    But seriously, it makes no difference which lead has which length, as long as you don’t exceed the limit length. If they recommend 200 feet of 1/0 lead and your welding on a high rise building, you can have a 10’ negative to the building steel and 190’ positive to your stinger.

    For your Hobart, just get what you need. I would suggest 50’ of each in 1/0, if it was me.
    Almost all of my leads are 50' lengths of 1/0 with a Tweco at each end. Then a 20' #2 whip for the stinger and a short 1/0 whip for the ground thingy. I have used 300 feet total of 1/0 before at 180-190 amps and a medium duty cycle and not had any problems with heating or voltage drop. For the longer distances I have a bunch of 2/0 leads to get out there. On the other hand I made up a 200' 4 gauge lead to go up a grain elevator leg, but that was all less than 120 amps and the ground was right at the truck at the bottom.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    But would the one attached to the building be a ground lead, or a negative work lead? Because you know we can't have a lot of negativity...
    That's a tough call. I will remember to keep whatever I scab on the clamp thingy lead off the ground to end confusion tho.

  16. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
  17. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgehammer View Post
    Thanks! you run same length on both?
    On that machine they were the same length, but that was how I got them. A lot of people will run the required heavier wire for most of the length, and then add something like a 10-15' whip at the end for the stinger using lighter wire and a quick connect fitting to join the two. That gives your stinger a little more reach, which can be handy, and you're not holding the weight of the heavier cable off the ground so it's easier to manage. You obviously don't want to go too light, but dropping a couple of sizes shouldn't cause any problems since it's such a short run.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com


    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

  18. Likes sedgehammer liked this post
  19. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Thanks everyone!
    Will be welding a weld up building possibly.

    thinking of the following

    150' 2/0
    15'' 1 = whip
    75' 2/0

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Don't think you need 2/0 for a Hobart Champion 16. 1/0 would be plenty. Unless you're going to be using lots of 5/32" or bigger rods a #2 stinger is lighter and more flexible.

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hellinois
    Posts
    5,802
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    I agree with Welder Dave, I wouldn't get 2/0 for that welder. I would go with 50' sections of 1/0. The majority of work is probably going to be 150A or under, I am guessing. For higher amperage work, do it closer to the welder. I have a Lincoln Commander 500A, 100% duty cycle. I have 100' of each lead in 2/0, and I regularly air arc with 5/16" carbons.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

  22. Likes ronsii liked this post
  23. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I agree with Welder Dave, I wouldn't get 2/0 for that welder. I would go with 50' sections of 1/0. The majority of work is probably going to be 150A or under, I am guessing. For higher amperage work, do it closer to the welder. I have a Lincoln Commander 500A, 100% duty cycle. I have 100' of each lead in 2/0, and I regularly air arc with 5/16" carbons.
    Yep, just get what you need. In an emergency situation you can get a bunch 20 foot sticks of rebar and weld them together as you go for extra length use at least a 1/2 inch weld bead between sticks and use a number 4 bar for up to 150 amps and a number 6 bar should work up to 200 amps

  24. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  25. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yep, just get what you need. In an emergency situation you can get a bunch 20 foot sticks of rebar and weld them together as you go for extra length use at least a 1/2 inch weld bead between sticks and use a number 4 bar for up to 150 amps and a number 6 bar should work up to 200 amps
    Thanks for clarifying the amp carrying capacity of rebar. I've always used 1/2" so I'm just guessing here, 300 amp capacity?

  26. Likes ronsii liked this post
  27. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the amp carrying capacity of rebar. I've always used 1/2" so I'm just guessing here, 300 amp capacity?
    LOL!!!! rebar is called in 8ths.. so number 4 bar is 1/2inch (4/8ths)

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Length of leads for Hobart Champion 16

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    LOL!!!! rebar is called in 8ths.. so number 4 bar is 1/2inch (4/8ths)
    so that's 480th's amps then.....














  29. Likes 12V71 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,627,263,630.02334 seconds with 13 queries