Thread: Sliding metal chop saw???

Post Thanks / Like

Sliding metal chop saw???

Anyone have any experience with the evolution sliding chop saws? They look and operate like a regular wood chop saw. It would need the blade changed to an all metal cutting blade after the multi blade dies but lack of a clamp makes me Leary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sliding metal chop saw???

We have one.

Sorta works.

Notice the orange plastic center sleeve, guide?

It gets destroyed after the first hot shavings land on it.

The clamp is also weak sauce- as you noticed.

Never needed the Sliding function not even wanted to attempt it- again- no really good way to clamp the material.

Sits in the corner now.

be better off using that money towards an basic Abrasive saw or a Multi-Cutter

Evolution EVOSAW380: Metal Cutting Chop Saw With 14 In. Mild Steel Blade $419.00
    Dewalt 15 Amp 14 in. (355 mm) Multi-Cutter Saw $599.00

Name:  dewalt-chop-saws-dw872-64_145.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  4.0 KB
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Would have to check if multi-material refers to metal/steel. I highly doubt it because there looks to be plastic parts on the saw. Would be great if someone made an affordable metal specific mitre saw but I've never seen one. Wood mitre saws are much more accurate than metal chop saws unless you get into an industrial cold cut saw or higher end bandsaw.

4. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sliding metal chop saw???

It says for steel. I have a Dewalt 14 abrasive saw. It just doesn’t miter very well. The blade deflects and many times my cuts are not 90 degrees. I have a small circular saw and like the clean cut. Maybe I should look at the dedicated cold saw like the ones you posted.

Last edited by WVDeere; 02-19-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Would have to check if multi-material refers to metal/steel. I highly doubt it because there looks to be plastic parts on the saw. Would be great if someone made an affordable metal specific mitre saw but I've never seen one. Wood mitre saws are much more accurate than metal chop saws unless you get into an industrial cold cut saw or higher end bandsaw.
    Yup.

It actually cuts metal easily but useless for wood after using it on metal unless you are just cutting crappy wood. Metal shavings stuck in the plastic after the first use and will just wreck a nice piece of wood.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Ed must have been typing the same time I was. I concur with what he said.

8. Likes Broccoli1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WVDeere View Post
    It says for steel. I have a Dewalt 14 abrasive saw. It just doesn’t miter very well. The blade deflects and many times my cuts are not 90 degrees. I have a small circular saw and like the clean cut. Maybe I should look at the dedicated cold saw like the ones you posted.

It takes a sec to dial in an abrasive saw but it can be done.

You need to adjust the vise so that the blade comes down on the metal more towards the top of the piece yer cutting. And the adjust the vise as need when the blade wears down.

The dedicated cold saw is really nice but a wee bit more $$$.

We have one of those too.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the same model at a friends workshop. Ed is exactly right with his comments.

There is no way I would trust that hold down clamp. When I used the saw, I made sure I added several other clamps to the piece being cut
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That EVOLUTION SLIDING METAL SAW looks exactly like my 10" KOBALT sliding compound miter saw except the KOBALT is blue & black, I'm sure the motor is different on the EVOLUTION.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's next? The Evolution metal cutting panel saw ?
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

As expensive as these saws are I’d like to see some sort of speed control through a transmission with step up or down gearing and or motor wiring with circuitry for infinitely adjustable speed control like on a mill, lathe, drill press, portable band saws etc etc. $50 - $150 extra would be worth it IMO to only need one saw for multiple material types, wood, plastic, composit, metal, Aluminum, ceramic, clay etc etc.

i could see using my Dewalt double compound sliding miter saw for all my material needs. It’s possible but at what cost is the big question. I’m sure we’ll see one in our lifetime now that the cats out of the bag. Just like when the Rebel came out and a lot of people asked for ac high freq starts. They initially said not possible but low and behold now it is.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 02-19-2021 at 05:23 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

17. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just at an auction at a North Carolina business that made some darn nice truck boxes, dog boxes for trucks, animal control truck bodies, custom lavatory trailers etc and they had several standard woodworking DeWalt miter saws on pretty elaborate cutting rigs for aluminum cutting so they must have held up for at least enough time to be worth it.

They were using a pair of fairly high end band saws and an abrasive saw for steel, though.

I have used my 12" double compound DeWalt for some aluminum cutting but wouldn't try it with steel. Add me to the list of folks who'd like to see a true metal cutting circular miter saw with a rigid table, stout fence and good clamping system.

Best regards to all,

Lance
    Lance

Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
    Heck Bevel Mill 4000
    Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    9" Evolution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased one for my school a few years back, in order to cut a multitude of materials for the solar car project. It cuts steel just fine, as long as it's clamped down properly as others are saying. The only thing I don't like when cutting using the front-to-back sliding motion is that there is no resistance to help keep a steady feed, only the material-being-cut itself. Gotta be careful you don't feed it in too quickly or there go chipped carbide teeth, bent blade/material, or even worse ejected material that gets jammed up or what ever. Other than that, so long as you're careful and go nice and slow, it works.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WVDeere View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the evolution sliding chop saws? They look and operate like a regular wood chop saw. It would need the blade changed to an all metal cutting blade after the multi blade dies but lack of a clamp makes me Leary.

I have a DeWalt compound miter saw with the slide and the Diablo carbide tooth 14" blade and it works a charm on alum. It too does not have a clamp, and I do not slide the arm. Would not be without it for alum, but no way would use it for steel.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And the Diablo carbide tip blade works wonders on shaving alum lengths to size a few thousands at a time.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

24. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was using a compound miter for cutting aluminum. The material being cut had to be WELL ANCHORED ... repeat ... WELL ANCHORED and let the blade stop before lifting from the cut. The compound miter saw runs at 3600 + rpm. I have since ordered a evo380 for cutting steel and will also use it for the aluminum cuts with a non ferrous blade. It is reported to run 1450 rpm. Cheapest buy for the evo was at home depot online.

Post Thanks / Like

Woodworking saws work just fine for cutting aluminum...the cutting speed is similar between aluminum and wood. I've cut some pretty heavy alum on my table saw, no sweat. Steel is a whole nother ball game. I also have a handheld Evolution Rage circ saw for steel, works fine for what it is...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one last year for a big handrail project that required cutting a bunch of 1x2 tubing on site. I bought the version that uses the 7 1/4” blade. Built in clamp sucks. I used my own clamp. If work is clamped in place well it cuts pretty good and has good blade life. If you let the material move much it will eat blade in a hurry. Throws a lot of hot metal bits everywhere. When cutting at 90 deg most chips go away from you. When cutting a miter with blade kicked to right it seems all the chips come back at you. A few times I caught a metal chip on the lip. That will make you throw some stuff.