+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermax 30 air won't power up

Post Thanks / Like

Powermax 30 air won't power up

My brand new, just off of the truck yesterday Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air won't power up. I tried both of the provided plugs in receptacles of the appropriate amperage and voltage and there isn't even a dim light to tell me anything... nothing. I called the supplier very early this morning and left a message. Hopefully this can be fixed. If anybody has a clue... chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermax 30 air won't power up

make sure all the torch pieces are installed correct. i think theres some sensors that wont let the machine work. otherwise maybe it got banged around in shipping or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with supplier first thing Monday. they might have another unit and will trade you. If not ask if they have a Hypertherm repair guy who can look at it.
    Or call Hypertherm and ask them what to do and who is the closet repair center to you. They might let you take the cover off a look for loose connections on the power switch. The plasma worked before it was put in the box so something happened in shipping to knock something loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Unit is being swapped out. I will update soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nelzweldz View Post
    Unit is being swapped out. I will update soon.
    My woes with buying a plasma cutter continue. It has been a full 2 weeks since the arrival of the defective unit. Well the manufacturer has made an effort to make me whole by having another unit sent to me from the supplier. It arrived today in a box that was very obviously cut open, patched and taped up again. I am not even going to open it. I am so frustrated over this. My understanding is they sent a brand new unit to the supplier and the supplier sent me from their stock! What I got looks it was returned... many times. Aaargh!

Post Thanks / Like

After what happened with the first one I got I do not trust that what's inside is brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

This has turned into a purchasing nightmare. A sales representative offered me consumables and assured me a pristine new unit is in that damaged second box. I argued my point about paying for BRAND NEW! I finally said I would open the box and see. What a mistake! Two of the inner support plastic packaging pieces were missing. This is someone else's returned unit. It's used. It's that scene in Vanilla Sky where he is yelling "TECH SUPPORT!" "IT'S A NIGHTMARE!" They are telling me there is a wait for a brand new unit... I will wait.

Post Thanks / Like

delete post
    Last edited by nelzweldz; 03-10-2021 at 05:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a tough one.
    I know it sucks and not what you want but,

I think maybe I would just take it home and see if it works.
    And move on.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

what place did you order it from? got mine from harris welding supplies and it arrived perfect shape
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    That’s a tough one.
    I know it sucks and not what you want but,

I think maybe I would just take it home and see if it works.
    And move on.
    No. I saved for this piece of equipment. I worked extra hours. I gave up my personal time. I paid close to $2000. I paid for brand new Powermax 30 Air plasma cutter. Why would I settle for less? Now assurances have been made that I would get brand new direct from the manufacturer. I am hopeful.

12. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    what place did you order it from? got mine from harris welding supplies and it arrived perfect shape
    For now I will just say that I wish I had ordered from Harris.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the pictures I took at the UPS store to send the unit back. I didn't even take the unit out of this box. I basically opened the box, looked at the used plasma cutter with the missing plastic anti crush pieces missing then I taped it back up and printed the shipping label. Off it went.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the pictures I took at the UPS store to send the unit back. I didn't even take the unit out of this box. I basically opened the box, looked at the used plasma cutter with the missing plastic anti crush pieces missing then I taped it back up and printed the shipping label. Off it went.
    I would have done the same. You paid for a new one. You should receive a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I would have done the same. You paid for a new one. You should receive a new one.
    Thanks! I am sharing my experience to help others... to help future buyers.

Post Thanks / Like

so far the only people youve helped is the sketchy store that shipped you that mangled mess, by not revealing any names. in reality your setting up the next buyer for failure
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    so far the only people youve helped is the sketchy store that shipped you that mangled mess, by not revealing any names. in reality your setting up the next buyer for failure
    Actually I agree with how the OP has handled it thus far. As long as there is a possibility of a resolution, it is unfair, unwise and unethical to name the vendor.

Of course if this goes sideways, all bets are off.... JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

No. I saved for this piece of equipment. I worked extra hours. I gave up my personal time. I paid close to $2000. I paid for brand new Powermax 30 Air plasma cutter. Why would I settle for less? .
    My point was,
    Even though they did a crappy job packing it
    I would have at least took it out of the box and plugged it in.

It very well may have been YOUR machine and maybe they fixed something simple on it and sent it back to you.
    If it worked well and it looked brand new with no dents etc. I would have kept it and moved on.

That’s my take on it.

All your pissing and moaning
    Isn’t helping you any.
    It’s just prolonging the problem
    Perhaps unnecessarily.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    My point was,
    Even though they did a crappy job packing it
    I would have at least took it out of the box and plugged it in.

It very well may have been YOUR machine and maybe they fixed something simple on it and sent it back to you.
    If it worked well and it looked brand new with no dents etc. I would have kept it and moved on.

That’s my take on it.

All your pissing and moaning
    Isn’t helping you any.
    It’s just prolonging the problem
    Perhaps unnecessarily.
    I feel it is helpful to me to vent. Especially in a section of a forum directly aimed at what I am venting about. I ordered the plasma cutter from Bakers Gas because they had the best price online. The two units crossed paths in shipping. The first appeared to be new but never flickered. The second unit was in the box pictured and was missing plastic crush prevention pieces that were in the first box. Also the clear plastic drape had obviously been "handled" and the ziplock plastic bag that the owners manual was in had obviously been handled as well. With all the indications that the second plasma cutter was opened and used why would I even bother plugging it in? Especially with what happened with the first unit. Even if it worked, why should I settle for an obviously returned plasma cutter?

Post Thanks / Like

that vendor should feel lucky theyve escaped with just a slap on the hand. i would of put them on blast the moment that train wreck showed up at my door. obviously they have zero pride in what they do
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

May just be my way of thinking, but after the problems you had with the first unit and the photos you have shown of how the second unit was shipped to you. I think I would be making a call directly to Hypertherm and let them know what has been going on. Be sure to contact their customer service dept. and get a email address so you can send them photos of how the second plasma cutter arrived to you.

I am wondering if the shipper damaged the boxing that the second plasma cutter was sent to you in and maybe lost part of the packing that was in the box to protect the plasma cutter inside the box. Then the shipper tried to repack the box and taped the torn up box material to the outside of the box.

Several years ago I received a few welders through UPS that when they arrived it looked like they had been dropped from several feet in the air, the outside of the boxes looked similar to how the plasma cutter box looked and the welders had broken parts on them. I contacted the mfg. of the welders they sent me a return shipping label and had a new welder sent to me as fast as they could. They asked me to send them photos of how the damaged package came to me. They told me that there welders were packed very carefully and prior to shipping out any new welders they would pack some and test the packing to see if the box and welder would withstand various potential problems one of which was to drop the box from over 4' above ground level.

I think if you contact Hypertherm directly they would like to know what you have gone through. Let them settle up with either the shipper or the distributor you purchased the cutter from. I am sure the box that second plasma cutter you received was not shipped from the mfg. in that condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
    May just be my way of thinking, but after the problems you had with the first unit and the photos you have shown of how the second unit was shipped to you. I think I would be making a call directly to Hypertherm and let them know what has been going on. Be sure to contact their customer service dept. and get a email address so you can send them photos of how the second plasma cutter arrived to you.

I am wondering if the shipper damaged the boxing that the second plasma cutter was sent to you in and maybe lost part of the packing that was in the box to protect the plasma cutter inside the box. Then the shipper tried to repack the box and taped the torn up box material to the outside of the box.

Several years ago I received a few welders through UPS that when they arrived it looked like they had been dropped from several feet in the air, the outside of the boxes looked similar to how the plasma cutter box looked and the welders had broken parts on them. I contacted the mfg. of the welders they sent me a return shipping label and had a new welder sent to me as fast as they could. They asked me to send them photos of how the damaged package came to me. They told me that there welders were packed very carefully and prior to shipping out any new welders they would pack some and test the packing to see if the box and welder would withstand various potential problems one of which was to drop the box from over 4' above ground level.

I think if you contact Hypertherm directly they would like to know what you have gone through. Let them settle up with either the shipper or the distributor you purchased the cutter from. I am sure the box that second plasma cutter you received was not shipped from the mfg. in that condition.
    The customer service of the supplier has been trying to help me and they initiated the claim with Hypertherm directly. So I have been in touch with both the supplier and the manufacturer to resolve this issue. This is why it is curious that they sent me that second unit. The supplier was helpful and initiated the return claim and arranged a replacement and then they shipped me the box and cutter that you see above. How does that make any sense? If you have to take an inoperative unit back and ship out a new unit to satisfy a customer's claim, how is it that you send what I received? I left work early because UPS confirmed delivery and as I walked to my front door I instantly knew it was garbage. I was taking pictures immediately before I even brought the unit in. Emails were fired off right away. I was so disgusted. I wanted to throw up. I had no intention of even opening that box. So the wait is on again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to hear you have been having all the hair pulling confusion and despair. Who did the shipping label on the second box show that it was sent from the supplier or the manufacturer? I am sure that Hypertherm will get you taken care of, sorry it has been taking so long. I have not purchased a plasma cutter from Hypertherm but I do own a second hand Hypertherm plasma cutter and have purchased several consumable's from them and have always been happy with their customer service dept.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Yeah. I researched and read reviews and watched videos and decided on the Hypertherm which just multiplies my disappointment. But I hope this will be resolved soon so I can start on some projects I have in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I received my new plasma cutter yesterday and I decided to test it with 3/4 inch steel right away! Bang! In actuality I will be cutting automotive sheet metal primarily so I am very pleased!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist