+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ctwd effects on welds.

Post Thanks / Like

Ctwd effects on welds.

Just visited the tregaskiss' website about stickout and there was an affirmation, ("As the wire stickout increases, voltage increases and amperage decreases. When this occurs, the arc may destabilize and wander")which I'm not sure is true. I thought that the CV power source self regulated the voltage " arc length". I know that the amperage decrease from the wire resistance but that the voltage increase, I'm not sure. So what's the truth?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ctwd effects on welds.

"As the wire stickout increases, voltage increases and amperage decreases. When this occurs, the arc may destabilize and wander" , Have you gotten results that are contrary to this statement ?

CV welding sources aren't regulated power supplies, especially tapped transformer mig welders. The voltage will be dependent on wire speed , wire size, material , gas , and ctwd. Inverter machines tend to hold the voltage a little more constant. CTWD can often be used on older tapped transformer machines to manipulate the arc, and puddle (within certain limits).

What welder are you using now ? Many often give you voltage read out while welding.

What was the page you were reading on the tregaskiss site ? Would like to read it.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

3. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What they meant to say was that the voltage drop increases, meaning there is more voltage loss in the extended wire length due to resistive heating. So the voltage drop in the entire circuit is the same, just that now there is less voltage left over at the arc because it is being dropped/consumed within the wire that is now longer than it should be.
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-21-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, good article on contact tip recess. Its an often overlooked parameter.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I'm welding with a Miller 450xt inverter with metal cored wire. As I angle the gun lower in the direction of travel the arc sound more like spray and when I get it straighter it's spray again but with alot more intermittent short-circuits. So as I angle the gun more shallow like I get longer stickout but apparently a slightly longer arc length. I don't understand it, I thought I would get slightly lower voltage (arc length) not the opposite. I thought like Oscar, longer stickout= for sure less amperage and a little less voltage. How this situation seems to be in accord with the tregaskiss' statement?

Post Thanks / Like

thunder85

Quote Originally Posted by thunder85 View Post
    . . . .I'm not sure. So what's the truth?
    I thank everyone - for their focus on electrical theory - I now
    understand the physics behind Hard-Wire welding . . .

Open ? - What is the applied [gun in hand] benefit/technique
    of said theory . . . ?

There is one answer - known to Wire-Blasters . . .

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thunder85 View Post
    I'm welding with a Miller 450xt inverter with metal cored wire. As I angle the gun lower in the direction of travel the arc sound more like spray and when I get it straighter it's spray again but with alot more intermittent short-circuits. So as I angle the gun more shallow like I get longer stickout but apparently a slightly longer arc length. I don't understand it, I thought I would get slightly lower voltage (arc length) not the opposite. I thought like Oscar, longer stickout= for sure less amperage and a little less voltage. How this situation seems to be in accord with the tregaskiss' statement?
    metal core is a different animal altogether that necessitates a longer stickout since it is usually meant for spray-transfer. Kinda the same thing with gas shielded flux-core. It needs longer stickout in the first place; 5/8" to 1" depending on wire diameter.
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-22-2021 at 12:08 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    metal core is a different animal altogether that necessitates a longer stickout since it is usually meant for spray-transfer. Kinda the same thing with gas shielded flux-core. It needs longer stickout in the first place; 5/8" to 1" depending on wire diameter.
    Thanks Oscar.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist