+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy here

Post Thanks / Like

New guy here

I’m recently retired and have been thinking about getting a welding machine for quite a while.

I have burned a few rods in my time, but was never a welder. Tacker only. Fabricator.

I taught myself to tig a little and would like to have that capability, along with stick. I don’t anticipate much volume at all. Mostly small projects and repairs.

Anyway, I’m here looking for ideas for my rig. I’ve been thinking Miller Dynasty 200 for several years, but I never could justify the price. I’m considering a capable Chinese unit but no idea which is worth having, offerings change frequently it seems.

110v & 220v switchable would be good, around $1k budget. Never welded aluminum...maybe? Lightly uses is fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.. thanks,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy here

Welcome

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Welcom suspiciousmind,

With respect to a Chinesium TIG/stick machine for under $1000, I can offer my suggestion to take a look at the PrimeWeld TIG 225. Lots of reviews on their website as well as on Amazon. I've had mine for a while now (Nov 2019) with no issues. (I'm just a hobby/weekend welder, about to finish my 4th 80cu ft bottle of Argon). It is available from their website to your door for $825. What sets them apart from their peers (AHP, WeldPro) at this price point is they have a three year warranty and if you have to return the unit, shipping is on Primeweld for the duration of the Warranty. (Other companies may have comparable length warranty, but return shipping for a limited time). And while I haven't had any problems, I did have a couple questions submitted via email. They have always been quick to respond (always within 24 hours). And for the aforementioned price, it includes a nice pedal as well as a CK-17 Superflex TIG torch with flex head. I'm too green to say it is as good as a high end Miller, Lincoln or HTP...but for what you spend, it is one of the better deals out there. I haven't used the AHP, WeldPro or even the Harbor Freight TIG-205, so I can't speak to how they compare.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Dave66
    =================
    Millermatic 211 (Transformer Based)
    Primeweld TIG 225X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave66 View Post
    Welcom suspiciousmind,

With respect to a Chinesium TIG/stick machine for under $1000, I can offer my suggestion to take a look at the PrimeWeld TIG 225. Lots of reviews on their website as well as on Amazon. I've had mine for a while now (Nov 2019) with no issues. (I'm just a hobby/weekend welder, about to finish my 4th 80cu ft bottle of Argon). It is available from their website to your door for $825. What sets them apart from their peers (AHP, WeldPro) at this price point is they have a three year warranty and if you have to return the unit, shipping is on Primeweld for the duration of the Warranty. (Other companies may have comparable length warranty, but return shipping for a limited time). And while I haven't had any problems, I did have a couple questions submitted via email. They have always been quick to respond (always within 24 hours). And for the aforementioned price, it includes a nice pedal as well as a CK-17 Superflex TIG torch with flex head. I'm too green to say it is as good as a high end Miller, Lincoln or HTP...but for what you spend, it is one of the better deals out there. I haven't used the AHP, WeldPro or even the Harbor Freight TIG-205, so I can't speak to how they compare.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
    Thanks for the excellent response, Dave! This looks interesting. Maybe perfect for my purposes. I’ll try to follow up on my decision and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suspiciousmind View Post
    Thanks for the excellent response, Dave! This looks interesting. Maybe perfect for my purposes. I’ll try to follow up on my decision and experience.
    I'll second the suggestion on the primeweld. Check out the thread in the " other manufacturer" section. Pretty much everyone who has bought one has had a very positive opinion of the machine. BTW it's also a very good stick welder. Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased my first and had the chance to try out the Weldpro Tig ACDC200GD with the CK flex head torch. I have no previous tig experience and am 51yrs old. I picked this unit mainly because of the digital controls and will mostly use it on aluminum (mainly boat aluminum), so its what I started with.

It's a breeze to scroll through and adjust parameters. Quite easy to adjust specific parameters like ac frequency and balance and see the difference small adjustments make. No clue how long this unit will last, but for now it should make my life way easier when it comes to boat repair and making accessories. I have a Hobart mig with spool gun, but it's fast and furious welding. Now I can slow down a bit and have more control when welding what I need. It'll just take me a bit a of practice for my welds to look the way I want. Best of luck with your decision...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have an AHP and am happy with it. If I were to buy another it would be a Primeweld 225.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist