+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preventing equipment theft

Post Thanks / Like

Preventing equipment theft

What are some good ways to keep skid steers, backhoes, excavators, trailers, etc. from being stolen? I already know about the fuel cutoffs and battery disconnects but I think a lot of the thieves do too. Anyone know anything about GPS tracking technology?
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
    Lincoln Ranger 305G EFI

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing equipment theft

I have a handful of the Milwaukee Tick tracers. Just put them in and load the app on your phone. Not as good as a dedicated gps, but uses no power and is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Take them home with you. don't leave them on site.

Hidden start switches.
    Hidden hydraulic cut offs.

Mean dogs. Mean ones. Only you feed them. Kennel-ed, and only you handle them.

Lights and lighting

Lock them inside buildings. Don't let passers by know they exist.

4. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can slow thief's down, but if they want it they will get it. Maybe get security cameras like trail cams to setup.
    They have tracking devices that can be hidden, but real pros have the device to deactivate.
    We would remove one wheel from engine drive welder that would keep the easy pickin thief away. The real thief would would bring his own and still steal it. Then we started pulling wheel and hub off. That did work .
    With enclosed trailers we'd park machine up against door hoping that it would work. They can still use a battery ool grinder to cut side open. Usually with flatbed set bucket on tongue.
    Sometimes it is best to take back to shop or home. It's pretty hard to stop theft.

Post Thanks / Like

The was a job site hit near me over the weekend. The crew had blocked then door on a shipping container with a large pipe, so the thiefs got a trac hoe started and tore the side out of the container. Said they stole about 30,000 dollars of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking the lug nuts off one side of the trailer stops them pretty fast, but GPS is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be a mean sonofabitch with a shotgun and an even meaner dog

9. Likes CAVEMANN, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nearly impossible to stop a determined thief, locks an other deterrents only keep honest folks honest. GPS won't stop anyone from stealing, only helps recover what ever is left after they steal it and part it out. The Milwaukee ticks only work if someone is near the unit with the app running on their phone. I think the best is usually simple common sense things, well light storage area, don't hide the keys on the equipment, battery switches, park so it is harder to simply drive off. If you are really concerned about the jobsite and it is practical haul it out each day.
    Mike

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We run into the same thing when doing jobs... a lot of times it isn't practical to haul the machine(s) off site each day... some are small out of the way private jobs... some are in bad areas Looked at gps trackers once... downside is the monthly cel bill.... there are other trackers with greater range than a tick/loc8tor/etc... but still limited if they take it out of the area....
    A buddy had a small artic loader stolen a couple weeks ago from his yard!!! some reports of it still being in the area - stolen by a father son team who steal lots of things ( they don't have it back yet afaik.... but supposedly know who took it... IMHO the right thing to do would be hunt the perps down and you get it back... one way or another

13. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked for myself most of my life as a power equipment dealer (Stihl / Ariens / Kohler / Generac, etc). After almost fourty years of experience I still don't know how to stop someone from stealing from you if they are determined .... short of hiring an on-site security service. Dogs don't work. The criminals poison or shoot dogs, so I've never even entertained the idea. An acquaintance in the same business hired trained temp duty dogs .... they ate the seats of the snowmobiles he was selling. Thieves don't care about alarms or lights. They give themselves a set time and go in and out. They usually shop ahead and have a list. I have seen the results of break-ins where they stepped over some easy to take things .... just to pick up stuff on their list.

My cousin ran a J-D dealership just up the road from me and a friend ran a competing business in the next town. We used to stay in touch, just so the others would know they were next .... my cousin parked his tilt-n-load across his garage door one time .... they stole the truck. After having both our garage doors driven thru one winter my buddy installed 6" concrete filled pipe inside the door and I put steel beams across mine on the outside. They found other ways in.
    Last edited by John Bartley; 02-28-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Just be a mean sonofabitch with a shotgun and an even meaner dog
    shotgun no. a 22, u got all night , start w/ the feet, and slowly work ur way up

16. Likes ronsii, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    shotgun no. a 22, u got all night , start w/ the feet, and slowly work ur way up
    Ya know what...that could be fun...then let the dog have breakfast. Nuthin worse than a thief...nuthin better than a dead thief

18. Likes ronsii, Dave66, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Make tool look ugly and broken down.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Merrell View Post
    What are some good ways to keep skid steers, backhoes, excavators, trailers, etc. from being stolen? I already know about the fuel cutoffs and battery disconnects but I think a lot of the thieves do too. Anyone know anything about GPS tracking technology?

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they want it their gonna get it. Best bet is to keep them unaware of the equipments existence.

Kill switches on equipment

Battery isolators

You can layer up those sorts of protections.

Removable tongue on the trailers

There are some gps asset management systems but the real effective ones are costly

Knowing your area is a great plan too. Find out if there are thieves in the area. Although when my truck was stolen the guys actually drove down to San Antonio from the Dallas area for the sole purpose of stealing a truck with tools.

Best bet, keep enough money in the bank to purchase every piece you need to keep in business at a moments notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Likes John Bartley, ronsii, farmall, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At my job site a concrete crew was building forms for a containment wall, had their shop truck parked across the parking lot maybe 100' from where they were. A beat up car drove through the parking lot, stopped beside the truck, a guy jumped out and grabbed a concrete cutting saw, put it in his car and drove off. This was in broad daylight....
    Owner of Fast Leroy's Bar and Grill
    Liquor up Front, Poker in the Rear

24. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thieves stole a large generator from a rental yard, stopped at a nearby Lowe's parking lot & removed the GPS then went on their merry way.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a video circulating around a few years ago about a Miller engine driven welder being stolen. I believe it was in a Lowe's parking lot in broad daylight. The welder was in the back of a pickup, not as a working unit, probably just being transported. The thieves backed their pickup to the rear of the welder truck, dropped both tailgates, slid the Miller off the victims truck into theirs and drove off...bright sunny day. Took about a minute to do the dirty deed.

Post Thanks / Like

Something about a dog in the truck. Sure, he's locked in the cab, but when he throws himself against the windows, it seems to make people think twice. A mean dog is worth his weight in gold.

And, a mean dog really (usually) isn't a mean dog.........just territorial. Dogs are like that. Clarence was like that, and so is Peanut. Don't go near what he considers is his.

Clarence would actually attack someone...........dunno if Peanut will.

Post Thanks / Like

Clarence almost earned me a lawsuit when he bit someone at the feed store.

Post Thanks / Like

Clarence had "focus". You never wanted to mess with him.

Name:  pups1-092.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  136.0 KB He would never let you out of his sight. We bonded when I ran over him with the tractor, and his jaw was wired for about a month. I hand fed him with my fingers for the whole time. We never were apart for his whole life, and he would go for your throat if you got too near.

Years later, after he died, I was on my way out to the PNW, for a Slagpit Bash, and this young man came up to me on the plane. I didn't recognize him. He asked me if I still had that mean dog. Clarence had been dead for years, but this guy had grown up, and was on his way to a deployment in Iraq. He still remembered that dog.........he was getting a drink out of the hydrant on the side of the house, and Clarence bit him in the face. The kid was the son of a dairy guy up the highway, and thought Clarence was a good dog..............people around here value a mean dog. I apologized for the pup, the kid laughed, and I suddenly felt old........even back then. Here was this young man, once a kid when Clarence nipped him.....grown into a man, and going off to risk his life. That's a powerful thing.

30. Likes William McCormick, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's buried under the bedroom window, and I suppose Peanut will be next to him when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like

Henry died from poisoning, and Max never came home from guarding the cows..................We keep Peanut close to home, can't take the anguish anymore. We want Peanut to live out a natural life. A good fence protects the dogs you love. It keeps them from wandering.

Post Thanks / Like

If I wanted to protect a vehicle from being stolen I would remember the thing that went wrong with the vehicle once before that no one could figure out and do that to the vehicle.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

34. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could put an aluminum plate on the seat and connect it to the ignition system if it was gas, and to an electric fence generator if it is diesel.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Clarence almost earned me a lawsuit when he bit someone at the feed store.
    My last Heeler bit a dumb 20 something chick at a mini mart, I came out to the girl holding her hand (no blood) and her dumber but huge boyfriend standing by the truck, a cop showed up followed by the animal control van. Not a good sign... The Sarge asked her what happened, "I reached in to pet the dog" was her reply. Game over. Animal control guy checked Ellie's rabies tag and said "Have a nice day".
    Big dumb dude wanted to keep talking until Sarge offered to charge barbie with attempted theft. That dog was smart though, I kept the windows higher after that and came out to a woman with a young kid around 18 months old saying "Say hi to the doggy", Ellie was just smiling and wagging her tail.

37. Likes CAVEMANN, N2 Welding liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist