+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your opinion on this cheap AC/DC TIG

Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion on this cheap AC/DC TIG

Hey Guys,

I am about to procure a small, cheaper AC/DC TIG for aluminium welding.
    These are the ones I am looking at right now with hopes.

1) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Amp-...Cclp%3A2047675

2)https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giantz-2...e/392971045628

3)https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-DC-35...Cclp%3A2334524

I like the idea that they come with the foot pedal, which I think is mandatory? Except the third one, but the foot pedal for N0 3 is around $75.
    I prefer the first one or the second one which suits my budget more at this stage.

The third one(350amp it claims) sound too good be true whether it can produce those amps, but it apparently comes with the adjustable AC frequency(20-150Hz). Here is the link to 350amp ones user manual.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PzT...ew?usp=sharing

What I am planning to use it for small projects like,

• Welding 2-4mm aluminum checker plates that goes on things like light car trailers
    • Building aluminum boxes, small structures, tool boxes, etc
    • Building aluminum bike trailers(welding aluminum pipes of 1mm-2mm think or even less than 1mm(if possible)
    • Other small household or backyard projects, hobby projects that doesn't need heavy-thick aluminum welding.

Have you guys had any experience(good or bad) with the above machines, particularly the first one?
    Can you advise me whether it is useful for such small projects?

I am a complete noob on aluminum welding and atm cannot afford good, expensive American machines with adjustable AC frequency or the choice of different waveforms(sinewave, triangle, squarewave etc). So, the Chinese units are my choice at this stage.

Any help and thoughts and leads would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Last edited by WeldBig; 02-25-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your opinion on this cheap AC/DC TIG

So I' haven't had any experience directly with those machines, I would say STAY AWAY. Honestly they look like typical Chinese junk that might not even work out of the box and there wouldn't be any support for them. If you really want a cheaper machine maybe look into everlast at least you have a better chance of getting something half decent.

Have you looked for a used machine? What is your budget? Lincolns square wave 200 is a good machine for what you want and reasonably affordable especially for a big name.
    If you really can ... Just realized you are in Australia so my suggestions are probably no good for you.

I cant remember if Jasic welders are from Australia or not? They may have a cheaper offering and I have their 170 amp inverter stick welder that works like a dream.

3. Likes WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you posted this on, Welding Australia on facebook ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with these machines, but I agree with Nick. Chinese stuff off of e-bay scares the crap out of me. The other thing I will say is that I a selling my TIG welder because I never use it. It works great, and I am pretty proficient with it for a hobbyist, but I just never end up using it for the projects I do. I got it because it was cheap and and I was taken in by the mystique of TIG welding. But the truth of the matter for me at least is that I hardly ever use it for any of my projects. I just don't make things out of aluminum because it is so much more expensive than steel, and nothing I do is weight sensitive. And when it comes to welding steel, I would rather just hit it with the MIG and be done. If you look around on this board there are really very few pictures of projects made out of aluminum. Moto probably does the most as a hobbyist, and Aaron6061 and an Zanc (both professional fabricators) do a lot of aluminum. But other than that, you just don't see that much aluminum work by hobbyists for some reason.
    Miller Multimatic 255

7. Likes WeldBig, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldBig View Post
    I am a complete noob on aluminum welding and atm cannot afford good, expensive American machines with adjustable AC frequency or the choice of different waveforms(sinewave, triangle, squarewave etc). So, the Chinese units are my choice at this stage.

Any help and thoughts and leads would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    I haven't used any of those machines, but don't let the lack of most features worry you, regardless of brand. I have a newer inverter machine with all the bells and whistles and I can get welds on aluminum just as good with a simple machine like my Syncrowave 250DX....fixed 60hz AC frequency, one waveform, no pulse, etc.

I would be worried about those eBay machines as well, but I have no idea what you can get in Australia.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

9. Likes WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Have you posted this on, Welding Australia on facebook ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I haven't. I've never been on facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I have no experience with these machines, but I agree with Nick. Chinese stuff off of e-bay scares the crap out of me. The other thing I will say is that I a selling my TIG welder because I never use it. It works great, and I am pretty proficient with it for a hobbyist, but I just never end up using it for the projects I do. I got it because it was cheap and and I was taken in by the mystique of TIG welding. But the truth of the matter for me at least is that I hardly ever use it for any of my projects. I just don't make things out of aluminum because it is so much more expensive than steel, and nothing I do is weight sensitive. And when it comes to welding steel, I would rather just hit it with the MIG and be done. If you look around on this board there are really very few pictures of projects made out of aluminum. Moto probably does the most as a hobbyist, and Aaron6061 and an Zanc (both professional fabricators) do a lot of aluminum. But other than that, you just don't see that much aluminum work by hobbyists for some reason.
    Thanx. I wonder why though. Probably because aluminum welding involved lot more practice to get it right than steel? I find it is interesting to be able to weld aluminum as a hobbyist. For example, you can build your own light weight bike with aluminum as a hobbyist(of course, if only good with aluminum welding )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    So I' haven't had any experience directly with those machines, I would say STAY AWAY. Honestly they look like typical Chinese junk that might not even work out of the box and there wouldn't be any support for them. If you really want a cheaper machine maybe look into everlast at least you have a better chance of getting something half decent.

Have you looked for a used machine? What is your budget? Lincolns square wave 200 is a good machine for what you want and reasonably affordable especially for a big name.
    If you really can ... Just realized you are in Australia so my suggestions are probably no good for you.

I cant remember if Jasic welders are from Australia or not? They may have a cheaper offering and I have their 170 amp inverter stick welder that works like a dream.
    They did sell welders under Jasic brand here in Australia. I find it difficult to find any atm, most likely out of stock due to COVID-19 or they don't sell them here anymore.
    Apparently it is a poular brand name in UK.

Here in Oz, even used Lincolns, Miller and other US brands are very expensive, that if I find a one at all. I would love to have an Everlast PowerTIG 210 one as they seem to have reputation as a good machine and after sales service, but still very pricey atm.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really interesting. Both below machines are identical, except the branded one is twice the price.(one of the TIG AC/DC machines I posted above)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Amp-...Cclp%3A2047675

https://www.uwelding.com.au/lotos-ti...th-foot-petal/

Post Thanks / Like

This is really interesting. Both below machines are identical, except the branded one is twice the price.(one of the TIG AC/DC machines I posted above)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200-Amp-...Cclp%3A2047675

https://www.uwelding.com.au/lotos-ti...th-foot-petal/
    While they may look identical(almost) the knock-off version is more than likely using much cheaper components and maybe even different circuit designs??? not to say it isn't worth it... but who knows how it compares without trying them side by side for evaluation... and even then reliability could be an issue in the future... but then again both could have issues

15. Likes G-ManBart, WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    While they may look identical(almost) the knock-off version is more than likely using much cheaper components and maybe even different circuit designs??? not to say it isn't worth it... but who knows how it compares without trying them side by side for evaluation... and even then reliability could be an issue in the future... but then again both could have issues
    Yeah, that makes sense of course(the one being the knock-off and the other being the legitimate).

I was thinking about it this way. One being the branded one that is sold in Australia under the Lotos brand name.
    The other being the no name brand one, but both come from the same factory. Of course, it is quite possible Lotos one
    to come from the proper factory & the knock-off one to come from the knock-off factory.
    I haven't seen any complaints yet though(on ebay or otherwise) which is why I thought it is the same machine.
    Lotos should have reported to ebay and have the knock-off listings removed(there are few sellers selling the same cheaper identical one to Lotos one).

Post Thanks / Like

They're all crap. Don't waste your money on any of them. If you want a cheapie, get a unimig or razer branded power source. Low price from bricks and mortar store like TradeTools.

18. Likes ronsii, WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx. I wonder why though. Probably because aluminum welding involved lot more practice to get it right than steel? I find it is interesting to be able to weld aluminum as a hobbyist. For example, you can build your own light weight bike with aluminum as a hobbyist(of course, if only good with aluminum welding )

Aluminum is actually easier to TIG weld than steel. The field of view is much brighter under the helmet, and it is much easier to see where you are going and what's going on. The only thing about aluminum that I think is harder is you have to feed rod much faster. Like you I found welding aluminum interesting too, which is why I bought a TIG welder and welded a lot of beads, coupons, etc. Like I said I got pretty good with it. But around here, aluminum is 5 times more expensive than steel. and there was nothing that I make or repair that was aluminum. So the Syncrowave is gonna go and I am getting a multimatic 255. I will still be able to TIG steel if I want to, but I doubt I will want to. And if I get the itch to do aluminum, I have a 30a spool gun already and maybe I will splurge on a push pull gun for the MIG
    Miller Multimatic 255

20. Likes ronsii, WeldBig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Aluminum is actually easier to TIG weld than steel. The field of view is much brighter under the helmet, and it is much easier to see where you are going and what's going on. The only thing about aluminum that I think is harder is you have to feed rod much faster. Like you I found welding aluminum interesting too, which is why I bought a TIG welder and welded a lot of beads, coupons, etc. Like I said I got pretty good with it. But around here, aluminum is 5 times more expensive than steel. and there was nothing that I make or repair that was aluminum. So the Syncrowave is gonna go and I am getting a multimatic 255. I will still be able to TIG steel if I want to, but I doubt I will want to. And if I get the itch to do aluminum, I have a 30a spool gun already and maybe I will splurge on a push pull gun for the MIG
    I'm thinking you're referring to MIG aluminum welding? I am completely unaware of that technology of how to MIG aluminum. I obviously need to do some reading about it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist