Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For a Tig Welder...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking For a Tig Welder...

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Odd way to describe input current.

Attachment 1725502

What I found disappointing is that 3 phase doesn't seem to give it any more (output)amperage like the some other machines do.
    That is actually a good thing though. It means you can get full power using the more common Single Phase in home geerages.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suspect, doing aluminum would not take long or much to desire a water cooler. I'd get 'em both at time of purchase if it was in the budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I'd suspect, doing aluminum would not take long or much to desire a water cooler. I'd get 'em both at time of purchase if it was in the budget.

I hear you, but I have a hypothesis that most hobbyists don't do enough aluminum to make it a concern. Plus the stuff the OP mentioned (general fabrication including things like sheet fabrication (usually 16 gauge) and I plan on getting into tubing as well (stainless exhaust, chrome moly tubing, etc.)) is all going to be relatively low amps.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

for the money im doubting theres a better machine than htp221. had mine around 5 or 6yrs and not a ounce of trouble. not one glitch, not one sputter. works great every time. reliability is priceless to me. ive no time for cheap products that break down.
    most likely i followed the aircooled advice but about the 2nd day using it i ordered the water cooling parts and never looked back. in some corner of the garage those aircool parts are covered with cobwebs and 5yrs of dust
    invertig 221 water cooled
    millermatic 211
    hypertherm powermax 30xp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    I do a lot of restoration work for an engraver which means un-engraving and filling holes and dents. Lots of detail. Attachment 1725553
    Wow, did you weld on that O/U receiver? That's something I wouldn't have the guts to do on a bet (even if I were qualified)!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Wow, did you weld on that O/U receiver? That's something I wouldn't have the guts to do on a bet (even if I were qualified)!
    Yes. The inlays are removed and filled with soft steel. Most receivers are not hardened still so that they can be engraved, fitted, adjusted, and repaired. Angelo Bee does engraving only. He was trained in Belgium in the FN factory making Brownings. They taught he and his sister to engrave. Google Angelo Bee's work and you will see a few pieces that I welded on. Trick is to remove the copper coating on Tig rod so the bluing will take without discoloration. Angelo likes soft fillers so that he can push the metal around.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. The inlays are removed and filled with soft steel. Most receivers are not hardened still so that they can be engraved, fitted, adjusted, and repaired. Angelo Bee does engraving only. He was trained in Belgium in the FN factory making Brownings. They taught he and his sister to engrave. Google Angelo Bee's work and you will see a few pieces that I welded on. Trick is to remove the copper coating on Tig rod so the bluing will take without discoloration. Angelo likes soft fillers so that he can push the metal around.
    Neat. Thanks for the info. I imagine that kind of work puts a nice feather in your cap and pays well, too.

ETA: How do you prevent the "wings" of the receiver from warping outward? Use real thin filler and a tiny tungsten and build it up slowly, tiny bead after tiny bead with lots of cooldown time in-between beads?
    Last edited by Kelvin; 03-08-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Neat. Thanks for the info. I imagine that kind of work puts a nice feather in your cap and pays well, too.

ETA: How do you prevent the "wings" of the receiver from warping outward? Use real thin filler and a tiny tungsten and build it up slowly, tiny bead after tiny bead with lots of cooldown time in-between beads?
    Is not that much of a buildup. More like touch ups. Most receivers have lots of support inside. Yep small wire, I use mig wire for the most part.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

9. Likes Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Google Angelo Bee's work and you will see a few pieces that I welded on.
    He does nice stuff!

https://images.gunsinternational.com...43A91CEFB4.jpg

11. Likes shovelon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He complains about my prices, and I complain about his. Really nice guy though. Taught me a bunch about smithing.