+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 hp angle die grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 hp angle die grinders

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    ....grinder....hand drill....saw....etc

Unfortunately I stalled a nice big 1/2" drill with the back of my hand trapped against the headache-rack on a wrecker.... it wedged my finger against the trigger too.
    Yea, that is always a danger as the tools get bigger and stronger. I remember I was putting a hole through a cinder block wall at a music school that belongs to my son and daughter-in-law, it was late I was doing it after working overtime on my regular job. I had gotten a Milwaukee rechargeable cement gun from work to make the hole. It was bigger than I would normally use but the rechargeable part made it seem so sweet and I could not find a 1 1/4" SDS Plus bit, only 1 1/4" SDS Max bits. I believe it was the 1 9/16" Milwaukee rechargeable model. So anyway I start drilling I am above the drop ceiling and not wanting to take out the cross members, I use the tool above my head, which I knew was wrong but I figured I can hold this thing, WRONG thinking. This thing with a 1 1/4" bit locks in the cinder block web and does a 360 and almost knocked me to the ground. It hit me hard the only thing that kept me from getting knocked out was that I moved my head into it so there was no follow-through movement of my head, that is what knocks you out. But I remember standing there laughing at myself, haha. If someone goes to hit you and you cannot block it move your head into it, you might even sprain their wrist and you will not get knocked out, you may bleed but you will not go down.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Yea, that is always a danger as the tools get bigger and stronger. I remember I was putting a hole through a cinder block wall at a music school that belongs to my son and daughter-in-law, it was late I was doing it after working overtime on my regular job. I had gotten a Milwaukee rechargeable cement gun from work to make the hole. It was bigger than I would normally use but the rechargeable part made it seem so sweet and I could not find a 1 1/4" SDS Plus bit, only 1 1/4" SDS Max bits. I believe it was the 1 9/16" Milwaukee rechargeable model. So anyway I start drilling I am above the drop ceiling and not wanting to take out the cross members, I use the tool above my head, which I knew was wrong but I figured I can hold this thing, WRONG thinking. This thing with a 1 1/4" bit locks in the cinder block web and does a 360 and almost knocked me to the ground. It hit me hard the only thing that kept me from getting knocked out was that I moved my head into it so there was no follow-through movement of my head, that is what knocks you out. But I remember standing there laughing at myself, haha. If someone goes to hit you and you cannot block it move your head into it, you might even sprain their wrist and you will not get knocked out, you may bleed but you will not go down.
    It was funny a few months later someone stole that from the warehouse, and I couldn't help but feel some relief, haha, and I hate when people steal tools.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Probably a lot of things because of its size and power but I run a wire wheel on the angle die grinder. I’d like a ingersoll rand also but can’t find a 1 hp One. I think the longer ones will work good for cutting. I’m worried the jet is low on rpm for that tho at 12000 rpm

The jet is 3.2 pounds and 5.3 cfm and the aircat 4.3 cfm at 1.8 pounds so it’s a lot lighter.
    Did you read all the negative ratings about the Air Cat? I would not expect it to last. Sometimes they design those things poorly and if you have any moisture in your lines it will form ice in the motor and cause it to slow down. I cannot say what its problem is but it seemed like a lot of people were unhappy with it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

I read nothing but good stuff about aircat

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At one time( may still be) aircat was the manufacturer for mac tools. I have a few mac branded die grinders that were,are, aircat. Never an issue. Like any air tool, oil them often. I swear by the PB blaster air tool conditioner oil. What ever you get, I would go with composite construction over metal as the composite cuts vibration and they don't get as cold as the metal housing ones do.

9. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No probs with my Aircat. Mind you it's not used in a production environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

11. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    At one time( may still be) aircat was the manufacturer for mac tools. I have a few mac branded die grinders that were,are, aircat. Never an issue. Like any air tool, oil them often. I swear by the PB blaster air tool conditioner oil. What ever you get, I would go with composite construction over metal as the composite cuts vibration and they don't get as cold as the metal housing ones do.
    Word of warning... Don't use regular PB spray in air tools, I did once and it swelled the trigger valve o-rings bad enough the tool wouldn't run. OOPS.

13. Likes farmall, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Word of warning... Don't use regular PB spray in air tools, I did once and it swelled the trigger valve o-rings bad enough the tool wouldn't run. OOPS.
    I know, that's why I put down PB blaster air tool conditioner oil. If you don't have that or air tool oil, ATF is a reasonable substitute. Another thing to avoid, unless it's big stuff like jackhammers is any kind of alcohol based additive as that pretty much dries out the O rings or seals.

15. Likes farmall, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Aircat extended reach grinder used for cutouts on aluminum checkerplate

:

Post Thanks / Like

I tested the sp die grinder rated at I think 1/2 hp and it honestly seems to have better power then the aircat. I think I’ll look into the sp next time since they seem reasonably priced also. The aircat is nice because it’s very quite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    I tested the sp die grinder rated at I think 1/2 hp and it honestly seems to have better power then the aircat. I think I’ll look into the sp next time since they seem reasonably priced also. The aircat is nice because it’s very quite
    I looked at the Amazon negative reviews and there were a lot of them for aircat.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

They all have 4.5 stars or better looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people leave bad reviews when it's their own screwups. I imagine lots of people try to run them on a small compressor. Big die grinders use big amounts of air, can't change that.

Post Thanks / Like

I am never sure about the reviews on Amazon, they never seem reliable to me whether positive or negative. I do know that I have Aircat tools that I can think of and never had any issues with them. They are quiet and still retain good power. I have 1/2 impact that gets used daily and it must be 11 or 12 years old now along with numerous die grinders. Just my experience wiith them.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Here's the Aircat extended reach grinder used for cutouts on aluminum checkerplate

I normally use a circular saw and plunge cut it, or I use a little pneumatic saw both saws I just clamp a guide and go usually the guide is a four foot level. I put a little beeswax on the blade before cutting. I am also known to punch four 3/8” holes in the corners and use a little handheld jigsaw with beeswax on the blade.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I have the "Chief" harbor freight version of that and it works pretty darn good!

Oh and moto, air consumption requirements are ALWAYS a lie. A lot of them state "Average air consumption" because they assume you use it for 30 seconds, and then let the compressor recover for 5minutes, lol. MINIMUM is 2x whatever the rating is for continuous use, when it's a relatively cheap tool. The more expensive the tool, the more accurate the CFM requirement is, but still factor in at least 1.5x whatever is required.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

24. Likes motolife313, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist