+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wagon vs trailer for garden tractor. What the difference? Design suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Wagon vs trailer for garden tractor. What the difference? Design suggestions

Got a little garden tractor. 18 hp. I want to build a wagon or trailer. Which is better choice. 4 wheel with steering. 4 wheels on trailer. 2 wheels on trailer. Dualie on trailer. Any suggestion and why?. Thanks.

Looking at 4x >6ft dimensions. 10 inch high.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 02-26-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wagon vs trailer for garden tractor. What the difference? Design suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Got a little garden tractor. 18 hp. I want to build a wagon or trailer. Which is better choice. 4 wheel with steering. 4 wheels on trailer. 2 wheels on trailer. Dualie on trailer. Any suggestion and why?. Thanks.
    A trailer is easier to back up than a wagon with a steering tongue. Dual axle makes it easier to move around when not hitched to the tractor. Otherwise there's really not much difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wagon vs trailer for garden tractor. What the difference? Design suggestions

I built one using an old lawn tractor. Kept the large wheels in the back and steering tongue on the front wheels. If I remember right the box is 4' long 3' wide and 1' tall. It is hinged to tilt. Next mod will be to put the power tilt that Tackit put the link to in another thread.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. It pays to search for Garden trailers. I guess I had no need, i did not realize there had been so many garden trailer posts. I will peruse.

Got chassis built last night. Went with 4 wheels and front steering mechanism. Need tongue and bed.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want a quick attach for the tongue. A nice handle for pulling by hand is really handy.

7. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I hate about the two-wheel wagons is trying to line the hitch up with the tongue. It's not a horrible endeavor with something small, sure, but it's still an aggravation.

Backing up a four-wheel trailer can be tricky. You've got a whole bunch of links in that chain and sometimes the wagon just has a mind of its own.

The real question is what you're going to use it for.

A dump bed is super handy if you're carrying anything like dirt or mulch or leaves.

9. Likes John Bartley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    One thing I hate about the two-wheel wagons is trying to line the hitch up with the tongue. It's not a horrible endeavor with something small, sure, but it's still an aggravation.

Backing up a four-wheel trailer can be tricky. You've got a whole bunch of links in that chain and sometimes the wagon just has a mind of its own.

The real question is what you're going to use it for.

A dump bed is super handy if you're carrying anything like dirt or mulch or leaves.
    Yup, agreed with the "backing up". It can be done, but it's a learned skill.
    Having a tow trailer (not steering) with dual axle and four wheels is the easiest of all the types. If properly balanced they stand level on their own, they roll around by hand and they back up easy.
    Integrating a dump bed with a 12V actuator is also easy if the bed is tilted over the rear of the two axles so that the load is not all being lifted by the actuator.

11. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Wagon was most attractive since it could be used by hand. I considered a dump, but with a winch
    ..useful for other things. Though, I do have a 12v actuator with 300 lbs capacity, hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this on my single axle wood splitter to move it by hand. I eventually added a chain with a snap hook to the handle to drag it around with the backhoe too.

Name:  Hand dolly for wood splitter0001.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  72.1 KB
    ---Meltedmetal

14. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I did this on my single axle wood splitter to move it by hand. I eventually added a chain with a snap hook to the handle to drag it around with the backhoe too.

Name:  Hand dolly for wood splitter0001.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  72.1 KB
    By golly that's clever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    By golly that's clever.
    I have, since that picture, changed the wheels for solid tire ones because the $4.00 Harbor Freight pneumatic tires came apart in about a year. And I drilled the vertical pin for a hairpin cotter because the backhoe will yank it 2 or 3 feet off the ground if the main axle wheels get stuck in a rut. But it works for me.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

This gent is always good for a couple genius ideas. Love how he seems to see the potential in all sorts of things!

18. Likes John Bartley, mcspeed, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch for a small boat trailer for sale.
    Cut it down to your needs.
    I bought one for a $100.00 and set my chicken coop on it. Works great on wheels and easy to relocate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a chance to use a super heavy duty engine drive welder undercarriage to make a garden trailer for my Kubota RTV and tractor. Great trailer but hard to back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist