+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rod type for stick welding

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod type for stick welding

7016 can be used electrode negative as well as electrode positive which gives you some nice abilities and control especially for root passes. You can run it uphill, overhead, horizontal it is a great all-around rod, used in shipyards and marinas for years. For a while, I could not even order it near me now it is back. I tend to circle with it and it looks pretty nice, sometimes people think it is TIG.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    I know the fire fight will come at me. But..... I do use 6013 to repair mild steel pipe hand rails that are subject to servere vibrations. It seems that with 3/32 7018 they crack the weld or just next to it. But the ones I repaired with 3/32 6013 hold up. My guess is the 7018 doesnt let things flex at the same rate as 6013. Low tensile pipe, low tensile electrode? I dunno.. I have even field repaired some hyd piping on a excavator boom and the 6013 held, the previous shop repair with 7018 failed. Like I said, I can't explain it or condone others doing it out of legal reasons. But for me it worked when nothing else did........
    Heck, I made some redneck quickie tractor bucket forks with 6013.

No weld cracking issues - but I did eventually bend them into a pretzel, straighten and bend 2 more times.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    In my opinion, it's such a common rod for pros to use that it gathered up a cult following of almost everyone else

But really, since it has most of the properties anyone would like: easy running, works vertical up pretty good, mildly tolerates imperfectly cleaned steel, high ductility for great impact properties (even when "wet"), etc., it's really just a great all-around rod.
    Our local supply houses stopped carrying 7016 when the guy who welded just about every floating dock, steel pontoon, and pointed pipe moring pole retired. They told us that 7018 replaced it. 7018 was all they had, it welded differently I do not like 7018 for horizontal or overhead. I did get a hold of some 7016 over the internet but it comes damaged.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Our local supply houses stopped carrying 7016 when the guy who welded just about every floating dock, steel pontoon, and pointed pipe moring pole retired. They told us that 7018 replaced it. 7018 was all they had, it welded differently I do not like 7018 for horizontal or overhead. I did get a hold of some 7016 over the internet but it comes damaged.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Just move to Australia, every supplier carries WIA 16TC 7016's in every size up to 5mm, and the 16TC's are by far the best 7016 rod I've ever used, except for MAYBE Kobe LB52U's for open root.

Post Thanks / Like

test post

6. Likes ttoks liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist