+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nema 6-50r

Post Thanks / Like

Nema 6-50r

I just installed a nema 6-50r but it’s a little too close to a timer box above it hence making it so when I plug in an extension cord the butt of the cord hits the timer box. My question is do they make an adapter or extension cord that has the ground at the bottom so when I plug it into this receptacle the cord flows down and not up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nema 6-50r

Quote Originally Posted by Vinces34@icloud.com View Post
    I just installed a nema 6-50r but it’s a little too close to a timer box above it hence making it so when I plug in an extension cord the butt of the cord hits the timer box. My question is do they make an adapter or extension cord that has the ground at the bottom so when I plug it into this receptacle the cord flows down and not up?
    Most of the extension cords I have all come off the same way... What is stopping you from unscrewing the 6-50R outlet plate and turning it 180 degrees?...

3. Likes yooper, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I could do that. The plug would be upside down but the cord would connect flowing downward. Is it common to have the plug installed upside down?

5. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I could do that. The plug would be upside down but the cord would connect flowing downward. Is it common to have the plug installed upside down?
    Upside down???? didn't know there was a top?? I always put the higher mounted ones in with the ground pin on top just so the 90degree extension cord plugs I have fall straight down... depending on the box you use to mount the 6-50R in you could also turn it 90 degrees... or get an adapter ring to allow you to turn it 90... on some mid height 'bench' installs I would put them in for a sideways run... but I do have some cords that plug straight in no 90 degree turn... so they wouldn't care which way the outlet was put in.

Post Thanks / Like

What you think is "upside down" is actually right-side up for 6-50R. You're relating to a standard 120V outlet where it usually has the ground prong on the bottom and mistakenly thinking that all receptacles also have to be that way.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

8. Likes ronsii, yooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally for new work I start with something like this... or deeper.
    Name:  4inch-metalbox1.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  32.0 KB

Then get one of these...
    Name:  6-50r-cover2.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  6-50r-cover3.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  20.1 KB

And slap one of these behind it...
    Name:  outlet-6-50r1.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  23.9 KB

There are a few other different varieties that limit what you can do with them but usually you could refit an extender ring if you started with a different style box.

10. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    What you think is "upside down" is actually right-side up for 6-50R. You're relating to a standard 120V outlet where it usually has the ground prong on the bottom and mistakenly thinking that all receptacles also have to be that way.
    I have been in plenty of houses/shops where they are both ways so not sure if there really is a top on 120v receptacles either.... but I'm not a real electrician anyways

Post Thanks / Like

IF you can't rotate the receptacle. You can get a hubble or leviton angle plug that the pins can be turned on the plug housing and you can have the cord go in any direction. All molded plugs are the same with the ground pin at the "top"
    Or you can get a straight plug and it won't care.

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no top or bottom otherwise it would be marked " top " or have a arrow pointing up I'm a retired electrician , this has been asked many times in code classes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    There is no top or bottom otherwise it would be marked " top " or have a arrow pointing up I'm a retired electrician , this has been asked many times in code classes .
    Yeah, although the different manufacturers don't help by printing things on them various ways

Name:  leviton6-50r.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  26.1 KB
Views: 1616

16. Likes MinnesotaDave, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the like/dislike button stopped, I don't even know who hates me. A lifelong conservative, I only seem to P O conservatives. I'd rather P O liberals. Now I only know how many agree/ disagree. I can't tell who, or what I said.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

18. Likes Broccoli1, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Code doesn't address which side up is correct. I have researched at length, point it where you prefer. I mount so the cord hangs.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinces34@icloud.com

I just installed a nema 6-50r but it’s a little too
    close to a timer box above . . .
    When you build - 'something wrong from new'
    - you don't have a future in welding . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Code doesn't address which side up is correct. I have researched at length, point it where you prefer. I mount so the cord hangs.
    I had my shop wired this past December and the electrician said "they" changed the code to where the ground has to be up. I can't see it making a difference but there it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flushcut View Post
    I had my shop wired this past December and the electrician said "they" changed the code to where the ground has to be up. I can't see it making a difference but there it is.
    Local code panels can amend National Code if they see fit. I've never heard of any such change in National, or locality. 46 years ago, my teacher in night school was State Inspector. He insisted the ground be up. I challenged him then to cite it in code, he couldn't.

The index is poorly done in NEC. There are countless obscure items. Article 110 I expect is where it'd be. They go into detail describing how to hook a wire around a screw, and requiring an "approved" torque screwdriver to get torque correct. Conductor length inside a box, insulation length is specified. Box volume is specified. Box mounting, box depth, countless details of the assembly are specified. To my knowledge, orientation is not specified.

Hundreds of drawings in NEC & NEC handbook show receptacles with ground conductor down. I'll have to study to see if there are drawings with ground up.

Plenty of electricians have a preference, each for their own reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a box extension.
    Name:  BC3455FD-BBDA-417C-A7D5-C07FB0871699.jpeg
Views: 1247
Size:  18.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flushcut View Post
    Unless you have a local amendment, there is no such thing in the NEC, the code panels refuse to touch the issue of up/down, professional electrical forums lock threads where the issue is brought up, it boils down to personal preferences, or job specs, anyone who says that ground up is the correct way or ground down is the correct way is wrong, unless we are talking about 30/50A receptacles with right angle attachment plugs, then up is correct to make the cord hang down correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal01 View Post
    Unless you have a local amendment, there is no such thing in the NEC, the code panels refuse to touch the issue of up/down, professional electrical forums lock threads where the issue is brought up, it boils down to personal preferences, or job specs, anyone who says that ground up is the correct way or ground down is the correct way is wrong, unless we are talking about 30/50A receptacles with right angle attachment plugs, then up is correct to make the cord hang down correctly.
    Yeah, or I see air conditioners, washers & such with right angle plugs. Usually, best so it can hang.

The Electrical Inspector had some wild story of a wire coat hanger falling down behind the bed, landing horizontal across a partially inserted plug. What are the odds that plug at least 45 years ago was a grounded cord plugged into a grounded outlet? I called B. S. on that story.

We all got our reasons to prefer up or down. We are all right & we are all wrong.

If horizontal, I prefer indoor receptacles hot leg down. Outdoor receptacles have been known to get wet, I put hot up. Still not a code requirement, just how I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post

Then get one of these...

There are a few other different varieties that limit what you can do with them but usually you could refit an extender ring if you started with a different style box.
    Usually better to use a 2 gang mud ring for the 30/50 size outlet. Little more room going in and you can have better support to outlet with the 4 screws.

The large outlets are always installed the direction that the plug fits best for the situation. There is no direction that they must be installed. Any will work including sideways if you have to and you know ahead of time if it takes a mud ring.
    Last edited by danielplace; 03-22-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Then get one of these...

You cannot use a mud ring and a raised cover, the raised cover screws line up with the cover screws on the receptacle and the mounting screws to the four square box, no way to attach to the mud ring. You can use either the mud ring attached to the 4S and a normal wall plate or the raised cover attached directly to the 4S but not both, they just don't fit together. I know Ronsil is not around anymore but this is for future readers.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I avoid boxes for #6 cable. I favor a surface mount receptacle where I don't sharply bend conductors. The NEC rules limit distance of terminal from back of the box. These require a very deep box to be other than impossible.

I've been known to braze a box extension to a 2-3/16 deep box, that voids the UL listing. I am of the opinion that #6 or stiffer works better with surface mount receptacles.

If you need bigger than #6, use a hardwire & disconnect. With the latest code you'd need GFCI protection for a receptacle. That'd be expensive!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, although the different manufacturers don't help by printing things on them various ways

Name:  leviton6-50r.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  26.1 KB

If you think where many of these boxes are used,, it is in a basement, with the power coming from the ceiling,,
    SO, if the outlet is wired the easiest way possible, the writing will be upside down.

This would probably also be the same in concrete block garages (that is where my MIL's dryer was located,,)
    with the outlet being fed from the ceiling,,,

As far as the writing,, some marketing guy told the toolmaker to change the mold, so the name was embossed in the plastic,,
    the toolmaker "guessed" as to which end was "up",, he guessed wrong,,,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist