Thread: 4 x 6 bandsaw bearing question

Post Thanks / Like

4 x 6 bandsaw bearing question

I replaced all mine in 2018 with VXB 6000ZZ 10x26x8 shielded bearings. I haven't used the saw daily but they only lasted a little over 2 years. They don't grind but you can barely turn them with your fingers when all pressure is off.

Since they're shielded can they be cleaned and re-greased somehow? And the shield replaced without damage? Or maybe drip some 3-in-1 oil into them instead? I have to replace or clean all 6.

But there are a number of 6000-2RS or 6000RS sealed bearings on Amazon for pretty good prices. Maybe that's the better way to go?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 x 6 bandsaw bearing question

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I replaced all mine in 2018 with VXB 6000ZZ 10x26x8 shielded bearings. I haven't used the saw daily but they only lasted a little over 2 years. They don't grind but you can barely turn them with your fingers when all pressure is off.

Since they're shielded can they be cleaned and re-greased somehow? And the shield replaced without damage? Or maybe drip some 3-in-1 oil into them instead? I have to replace or clean all 6.

But there are a number of 6000-2RS or 6000RS sealed bearings on Amazon for pretty good prices. Maybe that's the better way to go?
    Hey JD1

I used to work for SKF - they are a swedish bearing mfg. - as an applications engineer. these are sealed/shielded bearings - you would most likely destroy the shield or damage the seal (if a rubber seal) removing it - they are only small 10mm bore bearings, right - so throw away items. the "ZZ" is the steel shield designation. typically a "RS" suffix is a nitrile rubber lip seal - you can buy the exact branded "VXB" bearing from www.vxb.com. any reputable mfg is going to have a 'high accuracy' bearing at this size - and they can't cost much. the shield is a debris shield - but not contacting of the inner race - so moisture or fine dust infiltrates. a sealed (RS suffix) would be more protective - BUT - not favorable b/c the lip riding seal creates friction and drag - generating heat and using more energy - so probably why a shielded bearing was designed in. hope that helps.

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they rubbing the holder? If shielded, then it is tough to believe anything infiltrated them especially with infrequent use. Humidity? You run some stickey blade lube?

First, make sure they are worth trying to save. Are the square, no wobble? If, yes the toss them. Because the blade wont be able to cut straight.

Otherwise, I would try to lube them. Soak, 'em like a bike chain. 'Cause 2 years is not much, given infrequent
    use.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced mine with the cheap ones off eBay. That was 7 years ago. Still running fine and the saw cuts straight. Use mine every week, not daily.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

I use a hard waxy blade lube stick from Olson. Square and no wobble. They're just really, really tight. I guess it's too much trouble to pull the shield off, soak and relube then try to get the shield back on without messing it up. I'll just switch vendors since VXB's bearings didn't last too long. Plenty of options on Amazon and since we have Prime I can get them pretty quick.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest to just replace them. They are cheap enough.

I bought a used Makita Portaband and noticed that some of the bearings where shot. I just bought a bunch online and replace them all.

Mikel

8. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post

soak them in some corrosion x and you will be amazed at the results.....
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...f943VdiGAKE0D1

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with Fluid Film lube. It penetrates and lubes. I used it to restore the bearings in the fan motor in my round top welder last year. One of the bearings was seized. After the fluid film application it loosened up and flushed out old dry lube. You may give it a shot - its cheap and it might save you the hassle of new bearings.

Post 15 has the results of the fluid film, if you want to see more on the motor tear down its in post 13:
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...85#post8760085