+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to get insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Where to get insurance

Like many other posts, I'm considering turning my hobby into a small business. I'm not going to get rich but if I can make a little coin and cover most expenses I'd be happy. I have been told liability insurance is crucial. However after filling out multiple quote requests I keep being told they don't cover my type of work....welding. So where can I get a policy? Since I am build deer blinds, furniture, and other one off items should I label my business something other than welder?

Thanks so much!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to get insurance

You might look into Obama care, I am thinking about retiring at 62 and was looking at insurance for me and the wife. It's expensive but you can make upward of 80k a year and still get about a $1,300 a month subsidy. I haven't jumped yet but knowing that took one big worry off of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies as I don't think I was clear. I meant liability insurance for the company, not myself as an individual. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no affiliation with this company

https://www.businessinsuranceusa.com...urance-welders
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to go through Scottsdale but they were increasing their rates and wouldn't let me do handrail. I switched to federated and they're better for me. Keep a lookout on the policy for what they will and won't let you work on. Any policy for me was $2000 and up per year.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my business insurance through Liberty Mutual for years, but then I had a minor claim.
    I am not with them anymore!
    I went to State Farm as I had other insurance with them. They do liability insurance for what they call "Artisan" type businesses. My premiums are less than half of what I was paying before, with MUCH better coverage, and MUCH, MUCH better customer service.Wish I had that claim years before, I would be ahead many thousands of dollars in premiums!
    I think if you explained the kind of welding you do, they might cover you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!! Great information!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you are located (state). I spoke to an insurance provider and they gave me a quote that simply ate the competition by hundreds of dollars. They even wanted to insure my building that is currently covered by my house insurance for less than my house insurance. SHOP AROUND. At this point I haven't done anything as far as providing service or product but will in the very near future when I see where the business is going. Right now I am building things that I will need to make jigs and support products. Did he low ball me ??? Don't know .... YET.
    Last edited by BillE.Dee; 04-06-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    I don't know where you are located (state). I spoke to an insurance provider and they gave me a quote that simply ate the competition by hundreds of dollars. They even wanted to insure my building that is currently covered by my house insurance for less than my house insurance. SHOP AROUND. At this point I haven't done anything as far as providing service or product but will in the very near future when I see where the business is going. Right now I am building things that I will need to make jigs and support products. Did he low ball me ??? Don't know .... YET.
    I wonder how your business is developing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferrret3238 View Post
    I used to go through Scottsdale but they were increasing their rates and wouldn't let me do handrail. I switched to federated and they're better for me. Keep a lookout on the policy for what they will and won't let you work on. Any policy for me was $2000 and up per year.
    Scottsdale sucks. I filled out the info and sent it in they gave me a quote, I paid the bill thye let me know i was covered...all was good until 2 weeks later I get a notice in the mail they wont cover me because it involves mining...Well ****...didnt you read the info 2-3 weeks ago ,the information was there. So I get pon the phone and ask them what the problem is and didnt they read the application I filled out, they couldnt give me a strait upfront answer to save their life, so I told them right out to kiss this old miners *** and hung up. I called the insurance broker lady that helped me set this up she got mad as a damn hornet, ( believe me I can get nasty when I am mad, when she gets mad this ol girl will make Chesty Puller, George Patton,and Bull Halsey look like 3 8 year old choir boys and all of Schuylkill County will hear it) she calls up Scottsdale and give em the riot act. Gave it to them so bad they actually called men up to apologize.

She set me up with another company then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Scottsdale sucks. I filled out the info and sent it in they gave me a quote, I paid the bill thye let me know i was covered...all was good until 2 weeks later I get a notice in the mail they wont cover me because it involves mining...Well ****...didnt you read the info 2-3 weeks ago ,the information was there. So I get pon the phone and ask them what the problem is and didnt they read the application I filled out, they couldnt give me a strait upfront answer to save their life, so I told them right out to kiss this old miners *** and hung up. I called the insurance broker lady that helped me set this up she got mad as a damn hornet, ( believe me I can get nasty when I am mad, when she gets mad this ol girl will make Chesty Puller, George Patton,and Bull Halsey look like 3 8 year old choir boys and all of Schuylkill County will hear it) she calls up Scottsdale and give em the riot act. Gave it to them so bad they actually called men up to apologize.

She set me up with another company then
    Sounds like my insurance lady... She is every bit of 6' tall and a redhead. She roots out the best rates for me on any project plus the shop, also handles my home, personal auto, and bonding on a few jobs that required that. I really like making a single payment for everything.

If she was single... and I was single...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post

Hmmm. I had already assumed this after reading the first part. LOL

Better look into alimony insurance....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Sounds like my insurance lady... She is every bit of 6' tall and a redhead. She roots out the best rates for me on any project plus the shop, also handles my home, personal auto, and bonding on a few jobs that required that. I really like making a single payment for everything.

She must be a honey to get ya dancin like that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    She must be a honey to get ya dancin like that!
    Yeah... got a soft spot for redheads I guess. My first wife was a 5'11" red and we ended up with 4 kids that were almost 6' plus by the time they were 16. Oldest daughter went blonde and is 6'2" (really), the other 2 daughters are reds (twins) and are 5'11". The one son is a blondie and he is 6'4". Myself... I'm only 6'1".
    And currently for the last 11 years... another red. But we get along so well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all. Anyone know anything about getting insured for a welding and metal fabrication business in Texas? I'm asking for a welder friend (really) who needs help on the business side of things and wants to start doing mostly mobile service (no shop at first) for things like metal repairs, building metal fences and gates, etc. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I use scottsdale. Call around enough agencies and someone will quote you. Depending on the type of work you do the premium will fluctuate. Most commercial customers want a 2 million general liability policy - $1200 - $2000 per year but you might not need that sounds like.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you feel lucky.
    The insurance companies will charge a high price for a low deductible.

If need liability insurance use a very high deductible or just cost to mush.

Some can not afford and they will just file chapter 11 or 13 bad for credit if they unlucky. Check with bankruptcy lawyers on this one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelz4me View Post
    Like many other posts, I'm considering turning my hobby into a small business. I'm not going to get rich but if I can make a little coin and cover most expenses I'd be happy. I have been told liability insurance is crucial. However after filling out multiple quote requests I keep being told they don't cover my type of work....welding. So where can I get a policy? Since I am build deer blinds, furniture, and other one off items should I label my business something other than welder?

Thanks so much!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist