+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New and need some guidance

Post Thanks / Like

New and need some guidance

Hi and thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.

I am just starting this as a hobby. I am a comfortable and familiar with most tools and construction, but I have not yet done welding and plasma cutting. I am wanting to work with primarily steel and aluminum. Nothing very large, but would like to be able to do computer cutting with a CNC table around 4’ X 4’. I would be working with mostly 1/4” or less thickness. I will be setting up in a ventilated garage area and have access to any needed power requirements. I am looking for recommendations that are the right value for the money (not the cheapest and not the most expensive).

Looking for recommendations for the following

- Welder (brand/type)
    - Plasma cutter (brand)
    - CNC table (Brand)
    - Other critical tools that you would not go without

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New and need some guidance

Quote Originally Posted by bridgebuilder View Post

I am just starting this as a hobby. I am a comfortable and familiar with most tools and construction, but I have not yet done welding and plasma cutting. I am wanting to work with primarily steel and aluminum. Nothing very large, but would like to be able to do computer cutting with a CNC table around 4’ X 4’. I would be working with mostly 1/4” or less thickness. I will be setting up in a ventilated garage area and have access to any needed power requirements. I am looking for recommendations that are the right value for the money (not the cheapest and not the most expensive).

- Welder (brand/type)
    - Plasma cutter (brand)
    - CNC table (Brand)

Thanks!
    Stating a budget would probably help you get some responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Per recommendation I have added some hopeful price ranges...

- Welder (brand/type) $600-$800
    - Plasma cutter (brand) $700-$900
    - CNC table (Brand) $2000-$3000

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

I have Harbor freight 170 mig welder it costs $199.00 . The welder works great I would not buy this for employees you need to take care.
    I have purchased mig welders in past that cost over $3,000.00 but heavy duty and weld at 100% duty cycle

Table I build for scrape about 30 x 48 still low cost.

Dave

- Welder (brand/type)
    - Plasma cutter (brand)
    - CNC table (Brand)

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have a lot of options, if you sre staying under 1/4 ". Make sure you get something with readily available consumables , when thinking mig or plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Per recommendation I have added some hopeful price ranges...

- Welder (brand/type) $600-$800
    - Plasma cutter (brand) $700-$900
    - CNC table (Brand) $2000-$3000

Thanks!
    [/QUOTE]

6 grand budget you aint buildin no bridges. Maybe a hay hauler trailer. Focus on the welding machine. The rest is bloat. Lotsa ways to cut.
    CNC table? Add 2 grand for a compressor/filtration. See reality.

Metabo and discs/papers/stones. $300
    Miller 252 or an HTP 2400 MIG(badass). 2500 or so. Miller add some to that, Gas bottle,float regulator,extra tips.nozzles,liner,rolls of wire.
    Portaband(not homeless despot) ?? $250 ?
    Badass drills/bits $$$
    Best jigsaw/blades $$$
    Drill press(harbor fright garbage will get you going)$$
    Electric straight shank die grinder for making slots and doing fishmouths $$
    Clamps and magnetic square collection $$$$ Yup 4 dollar signs.Heavy money for minimal needs/

2 aspirin and call me on tuesday.

7. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

6 grand budget you aint buildin no bridges. Maybe a hay hauler trailer. Focus on the welding machine. The rest is bloat. Lotsa ways to cut.
    CNC table? Add 2 grand for a compressor/filtration. See reality.

Miller 252 or an HTP 2400 MIG(badass). 2500 or so. Miller add some to that, Gas bottle,float regulator,extra tips.nozzles,liner,rolls of wire.
    Badass drills/bits $$$
    Best jigsaw/blades $$$
    Clamps and magnetic square collection $$$$ Yup 4 dollar signs.Heavy money for minimal needs/

Hey look what the cat drug out.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

9. Likes Dave66, Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Badass drills/bits $$$
    Best jigsaw/blades $$$

Hey BZ!!! How the heck are ya?
    Last edited by shovelon; 03-11-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the original Bonzoo!?

Welcome back.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist