+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy

Post Thanks / Like

New guy

Greetings, all. Just an old retiree here with learning to weld on the bucket list. No welding experience. Have a 120V/20A outlet on dedicated circuit at my garage workbench. 240VAC install not a viable option.

Considering the Lowe's/Lincoln starter kit with auto-helmet, gloves and a few tools (military discount).

May get the Lincoln 140 MP from Harris Welding down the road from me. That'll give me .035" flux until I can afford the gas for .025" and .030" MIG. Thinking of 6011 and 7014 3/32" for stick.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy

Welcome Moe!

Don’t overlook the multi voltage units. Cost a little more upfront, but gets you welding on 110v, then allows you to step up to 220v later. A lot of us started with 110v and after a short while saw the need for more power so had to bite the bullet and sell first welder and pay for another.

I like Millers but Lincoln and Hobart all have good support and parts availability. I would consider Harbor Freight’s new Vulcan and Titanium lines. Lots of good reviews on them plus with extended warranty you are covered for 2-3 years. They used to have a one-year trial you could return in a year for full refund. Don’t think it is still on option.

Welcome to welding. Don’t forget other costs like hood, gloves, lots of clamps, etc.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

3. Likes RKMoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New guy

Welcome! Remember that flux wire also comes in .030 also, after you get used to the machine you may not even want solid wire unless you're planning auto body work or other thin stuff.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 03-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

5. Likes RKMoe liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist