Thread: Looking for a good site to buy a Miller Thunderbolt DC stick welder

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a good site to buy a Miller Thunderbolt DC stick welder

I have been looking online, and some terrible reviews on many of these online stores. My LWS does not even carry Miller.
    Where is a reputable site that I can trust ?
    I would greatly appreciate any good advice.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a good site to buy a Miller Thunderbolt DC stick welder

Cyberweld is very reputable but not always the speediest (a lot of their stuff is not in stock and has to be drop shipped) https://store.cyberweld.com/miller-t...er-907722.html

That being said, and I own a lot of Miller products, but wouldn't buy a Thunderbolt. Your money is much better spend on one of these in my opinion: https://store.cyberweld.com/esab-min...700500070.html

You also pretty much can't go wrong with these folks as well: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/

I have purchased form both and been very happy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Louie,
    I want a unit atleast to be 210 amps.
    I want to run 5/32" 7018, and usually just around 170-180 on my
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Where in NY are you located ? I just started using a company AllGas in northwestern NJ, I just bought a new 5lb CO2 cylinder there, bottle was $99 first fill free. Watching craigslist/marketplace for a month so I just bought one. They also had the Esab there on sale for $587 this month, and they also had a thunderbolt 210 in stock but I don't remember the price. They have locations in the hudson valley area. They carry all the good stuff Lincoln Miller Esab, Hypertherm, victor, and a large selection of CK International , prices are really competitive. Now with shipping delays, I've been buying more locally.

Name:  allgasshowroom.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  allgasshowroom3.jpg
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  allgasshowroom2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  182.4 KB

There has always been one guy on staff who has a good knowledge of everything, and sometimes a kid to fill/swap the barbecue tanks. The only welding supply open on saturdays anymore.

They have 5 locations now : https://allgas.us/contact-us/locations

best of luck in your search. When you finally get your machine, let us know what you think of it. I haven't heard any noise about the new Thunderbolts, I'm not sure how long they've even been out. The transformer ones around here seem to get a little more pricey now.

Hope this helps

PS I wonder what Lincoln is offering these days for their low end stick welder ?

PSS Are wanting to run 6010 also ? will the Thunder bolt 210 run them ? The Esab says it will, and you can put a tig pedal on it also...
    Last edited by albrightree; 03-07-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

5. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's your money, but I really think you will be disappointed with the Thunderbolt. If you really need to run that much 5/32 7018, you probably need a CST 282 or a Maxstar 210. I suspect the 20% duty cycle of the Thunderbolt is going to let you down. The Thunderbolt is a hobbyist machine. I'd almost rather see you go buy the Harbor Freight Titanium stick 225 for less than half the cost of the Thunderbolt. WNYTom (a member here) has had very favorable results with the HF machine and even says it runs 6010 pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonath108 View Post
    Thanks Louie,
    I want a unit atleast to be 210 amps.
    I want to run 5/32" 7018, and usually just around 170-180 on my
    Dialarc
    As mentioned, skip the Thunderbolt. If you plan on 5/32 Lo HI you need a machine with some duty cycle.
    Look for a used Miller CST 280. We use these nonstop for pipe welding. There probably about 10 years old and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes leightrepairs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Where in NY are you located ? I just started using a company AllGas in northwestern NJ, I just bought a new 5lb CO2 cylinder there, bottle was $99 first fill free. Watching craigslist/marketplace for a month so I just bought one. They also had the Esab there on sale for $587 this month, and they also had a thunderbolt 210 in stock but I don't remember the price. They have locations in the hudson valley area. They carry all the good stuff Lincoln Miller Esab, Hypertherm, victor, and a large selection of CK International , prices are really competitive. Now with shipping delays, I've been buying more locally.

Name:  allgasshowroom.jpg
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  allgasshowroom3.jpg
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  allgasshowroom2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  182.4 KB

There has always been one guy on staff who has a good knowledge of everything, and sometimes a kid to fill/swap the barbecue tanks. The only welding supply open on saturdays anymore.

They have 5 locations now : https://allgas.us/contact-us/locations

best of luck in your search. When you finally get your machine, let us know what you think of it. I haven't heard any noise about the new Thunderbolts, I'm not sure how long they've even been out. The transformer ones around here seem to get a little more pricey now.

Hope this helps

PS I wonder what Lincoln is offering these days for their low end stick welder ?

PSS Are wanting to run 6010 also ? will the Thunder bolt 210 run them ? The Esab says it will, and you can put a tig pedal on it also...
    Thanks a lot for all the photos !
    I am on Long Island , NY.
    Sounds good, will call tomorrow for a price.
    I have a Miller Dialarc 250 HF and use it for running 5/32 6010.
    I have it on 100 amp service with a disconnect.
    I just wanted to try a small inverter that has enough amps to run 5/32 7018.
    Portability and a 220 50 amp plug is important at this point.
    I am a Hobbyist, but weld mostly 1/2" mild steel.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    It's your money, but I really think you will be disappointed with the Thunderbolt. If you really need to run that much 5/32 7018, you probably need a CST 282 or a Maxstar 210. I suspect the 20% duty cycle of the Thunderbolt is going to let you down. The Thunderbolt is a hobbyist machine. I'd almost rather see you go buy the Harbor Freight Titanium stick 225 for less than half the cost of the Thunderbolt. WNYTom (a member here) has had very favorable results with the HF machine and even says it runs 6010 pretty well.
    Thanks Louie,
    I do need to look at the duty cycle a bit more, for I am used to the duty cycle on my Dialarc 250.
    I have no use for tig, only Stick welding for me.
    I also don't want to spend over $800 or so.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Miller from Welding Supply by IOC and have had great service and a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    As mentioned, skip the Thunderbolt. If you plan on 5/32 Lo HI you need a machine with some duty cycle.
    Look for a used Miller CST 280. We use these nonstop for pipe welding. There probably about 10 years old and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    After a lot of thinking it over, I do believe I will be disappointed with the Thunderbolt 210, as well as the esab Rogue, because of a 20% duty cycle.
    The machines you mentioned are unfortunately well out of my budget.
    so, I will just stay with my Dialarc.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

While not as smooth a welding as a bigger machine, the Thunderbolt is still a good machine. I bought one in the early nineties to have a third machine for a sail boat marina we I was building. There was 13,000 joints on 2 3/8" tubing that were to be welded. I had 2 guys working for me and only 2 shop machines so I bought the Thunderbolt. The 2 hired hands hated it as it was a tap to start weld. You had to whack the end of the rod to the metal to get an arc going. I welded with it every day for 4 months. I could weld one rod after another for around 45 minutes straight, far surpassing the duty cycle. You would know when it was time for a rest when you would strike an arc and the machine would literally growl very loudly. I would let it rest for about 15 minutes and start in again for another round of one rod after another for about 45 minutes. After the job was over, the little machine was still welding just fine. I gave it to a friend who used it up until 2008 when his wood shop burnt down, finishing it off for good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    While not as smooth a welding as a bigger machine, the Thunderbolt is still a good machine. I bought one in the early nineties to have a third machine for a sail boat marina we I was building. There was 13,000 joints on 2 3/8" tubing that were to be welded. I had 2 guys working for me and only 2 shop machines so I bought the Thunderbolt. The 2 hired hands hated it as it was a tap to start weld. You had to whack the end of the rod to the metal to get an arc going. I welded with it every day for 4 months. I could weld one rod after another for around 45 minutes straight, far surpassing the duty cycle. You would know when it was time for a rest when you would strike an arc and the machine would literally growl very loudly. I would let it rest for about 15 minutes and start in again for another round of one rod after another for about 45 minutes. After the job was over, the little machine was still welding just fine. I gave it to a friend who used it up until 2008 when his wood shop burnt down, finishing it off for good.
    Thanks,
    That's pretty damn impressive. Was that Thunderbolt a transformer based or an inverter ? The Thunderbolts now are about 16 lbs and inverter machines.

Post Thanks / Like

That was an old one, probably 150 pounds.

16. Likes Jonath108 liked this post