Thread: For a 20' whip, what type of wire?

Post Thanks / Like

For a 20' whip, what type of wire?

Starting out with 50' 1/0 and then adding a 20' whip as suggested in another thread. But is there a special type that's more flexible or just that it's smaller wire over all makes it flexible enough?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For a 20' whip, what type of wire?

I really love the high strand count super flex orange cable. https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...:OR:304-1170UF Strand Count Felxible Orange:main/304-1220UF.gif

These guys have it too https://www.arc-zone.com/ultra-flex-...le-DWC-UF-Bulk

It's limp like a noodle, and I use 2 gauge. depending on what you are welding you may want something heavier, but I use it on my Syncrowave with 1/8 7018s and 7014s up to 140 amps with no sweat, and it never gets warm. The chart says number 2 cable in short lengths is good up to 200 amps.
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes shovelon, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of a whip is that by using smaller wire itís less weight for the operator to have to manipulate.

5. Likes 12V71, Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is super flex cable that has more strands but it's also about 3 times the price of standard cable which is pricey to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Super flex is nice, if you're running 1ga or larger, imo. On my new CST280, good for 200A, I purchased 50' of 2ga. 20' neg and 30' pos. Then I made my stinger a 15' 4ga. I wouldn't go overkill unless you need it. The standard 4ga is flexible enough not to need the orange super flex. And I buy all my lead from Electron Beam Technology, great stuff.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Super flex is nice, if you're running 1ga or larger, imo. On my new CST280, good for 200A, I purchased 50' of 2ga. 20' neg and 30' pos. Then I made my stinger a 15' 4ga. I wouldn't go overkill unless you need it. The standard 4ga is flexible enough not to need the orange super flex. And I buy all my lead from Electron Beam Technology, great stuff.
    I agree, I have one 4 gauge whip 20' long that I use when I have to go up on circle irrigation machines so I'm not dragging a bunch of weight, most of that work is 95 amps or less. But I have pushed it at 150 with a pretty hefty duty cycle with no problems. That whip also has a tiny 200A Tweco stinger.

9. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the superflex. I use superflex cable in my 50 foot water cooled stick stinger. Going on 3 years and still works!

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been really happy with the cable from this vendor on eBay...they're a local Michigan company and the cable is made in the US. I've used it to make welding leads and jumper cables...seems quite flexible. They have lots of different gauges and weights available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FT-EXCEL...kAAOSw241YZYHe
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I've been really happy with the cable from this vendor on eBay...they're a local Michigan company and the cable is made in the US. I've used it to make welding leads and jumper cables...seems quite flexible. They have lots of different gauges and weights available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FT-EXCEL...kAAOSw241YZYHe
    I've dealt with that vendor on a number of wire products, as well, and also have been pleased with their stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Electron Beam Technology products. All my leads with the exception of the one orange whip are from them. I might have gone 4 gauge on the orange stuff if weldingsupply.com had it in stock at the time of my purchase. But I have no regrets. Its amazing how "loose" and flexible it is.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

As for a whip, mine is 12' of #2 . When working I always carried my own stinger with a '' lug '' on the end. Since most of the holders were those giant 400 amp ones, the lug was inserted into the holder and I was all set. Heavy cable and big stinger gets old fast.

16. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedgehammer View Post
    Starting out with 50' 1/0 and then adding a 20' whip as suggested in another thread. But is there a special type that's more flexible or just that it's smaller wire over all makes it flexible enough?

Thanks
    id go crazy w/ 20 or 15', as twistlocks would be getting caught on everything as they drag around, or laying near my feet where im gonna step on them. if osha didnt require at least 10', i might even make them slightly less than 10, so i make them 10 1/2', when hooking to a lead. i got 15's, for when im in a basket/lift, then i plug them directly into inverter, that gives me a few feet to roam around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    My understanding of a whip is that by using smaller wire it’s less weight for the operator to have to manipulate.
    my wrist carries no weight to speak of, its pretty much just flex resistance for the wrist. cuz i coil the whip around my forearm once (my elbow carries the weight), and let a lil slack loop under my wrist, so theres no weight to speak of where it mostly counts.

anyone got a link for this "super flex", i dont think i found the right stuff in a search. i been buying "ultra-flexible WHIP direct wire", in black inked letters. one time i bought "direct ultra-flex" (letters molded in the insulation), and the stuff isnt flex at all, its just like regular lead - fake

Post Thanks / Like

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...:OR:304-1170UF

Weldingsupply.com. Great company, really crappy website. I have bought this stuff from them before. I think size 2 (not 2/0) is the smallest they go
    Miller Multimatic 255

20. Likes Stick-man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post

Weldingsupply.com. Great company, really crappy website. I have bought this stuff from them before. I think size 2 (not 2/0) is the smallest they go
    is that what u guys are referring too as "super flex". im not knocking it, or maybe its a real good deal, but i paid twice that price for my stuff. if this is the stuff u got, are the strands grouped and like loosely braded inside?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post

I like weldingsupply.com too! Great guys, especially Jim C. I love going to their warehouse, it's self serve. So you can walk each isle and find what you forgot to put on your list. LOL
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I agree with the superflex. I use superflex cable in my 50 foot water cooled stick stinger. Going on 3 years and still works!

Are you serious? Liquid cooled STINGER??? That's one I've never heard of!
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedgehammer View Post

Thanks
    Nah. The trick is wire properly rolled on the roll and the best liner. HTP. Call them

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a comparison between standard (Flex-A-Prene) cable and Ultra-Flex cable. Ultra-Flex uses finer gauge wire and more strands. I think the Ultra-Flex copper is annealed to make it more flexible too.

https://www.directwire.com/industries/welding/
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 03-11-2021 at 12:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you serious? Liquid cooled STINGER??? That's one I've never heard of!
    Yup, you can see the TIG water cooled lines in the 2nd pic. I innovate! It's what I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Here's a comparison between standard (Flex-A-Prene) cable and Ultra-Flex cable. Ultra-Flex uses finer gauge wire and more strands. I think the Ultra-Flex copper is annealed to make it more flexible too.

https://www.directwire.com/industries/welding/
    The wire I linked above from eBay has specs like the Ultra-Flex cable, at least for the couple sizes I checked. I think I have Ultra-Flex on one machine...hopefully I can compare directly.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find a chart compared the number of strands between the standard and Ultra-Flex but 36 gauge is definitely finer than 30 gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yup, you can see the TIG water cooled lines in the 2nd pic. I innovate! It's what I do!
    Yes, I seen that, and that's why I was asking. I would like to see how you get the liquid to circulate within the stinger's jaws to actually cool it. Also, I just noticed the fingertip amperage control on your stinger in the first pic. Another, first time seeing this, for me. However, I have seen pipe weldors using the ditch box to adjust amperage while stick welding. What were you welding that needs that control?
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

The coolant doesn't make it's way to the jaws, only to a copper adapter that gets inserted where the wire normally gets secured in the stinger brass body. So while the jaws may not have coolant flowing through them, the brass body can transfer some heat into the copper adapter. I made it more so for longer reach without super heavy copper cables. Is is very light, and un-matched in flexibility.

As for remote hand-amptrol, all my welders have some kind of remote control, whether it be TIG, MIG, or SMAW.
    Last edited by Oscar; 03-14-2021 at 11:57 PM.