+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 240V mig recommendation - best bang for buck option

Post Thanks / Like

240V mig recommendation - best bang for buck option

hello all,

i'm looking for a MIG to compliment my trusty Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC box. Ideally, it would be capable of handling things up to 3/16" or so (from there I can use the stick box). running off 240V is a good thing and I'm more of a transformer over inverter type.

i'm looking for something new though I certainly won't pass up a good used model. I would greatly appreciate recommendations on good, affordable, preferably made in the USA welders. thanks!

O.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 240V mig recommendation - best bang for buck option

Hobart 230.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    Hobart 230.
    thanks! that's a great machine but probably too much for my purposes.also, it's pretty pricey ($1500 list price)

O.

Post Thanks / Like

if you want a good transformer you may as well buy used, and therefore brings hobart 230 back into budget?

nothing is "too much for purposes" - you can always downscale a big mig, but you can never upscale a small mig.

5. Likes FloridaAl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the "affordable" compact 230 volt transformer based units, for 3/16" and thinner, Lincoln's PowerMIG 180C is probably the best unit I've ran. Hobart's Handler 190 and 210 MVP are good units too.

The above mentioned Ironman 230 is definitely a good unit too. Cyberweld sells is for a little under $1400.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Multimatic 215
    TWECO Fabricator 181i & 211i
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Power Mig 180 dual voltage at work, have only run FCAW-S, I like it.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lincoln Pro-Mig 180,my friend has a Hobart Handler 190,going on 3 years both have been great. There's a NIB Handler 190 on Dallas Craigslist today for $400.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked my Hobart Handler 190. or Find a nice used Miller 211 (transformer model) or a Hobart 210MVP. But honestly the best bang for the buck right now is probably the Harbor Freight Migmax 215. Yes it is an inverter, yes it is Harbor Freight, but the 1 year risk free trial is iron clad. Buy it and if you don't like it take it back...really simple. Lots of great reviews, Terry (shovelon) from this board was a beta tester, and AvE did a really nice tear down video where he dubbed it a real bargain.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. HH190 is a fine bridge gap. It fills in what you can't do with stick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I liked my Hobart Handler 190. or Find a nice used Miller 211 (transformer model) or a Hobart 210MVP. But honestly the best bang for the buck right now is probably the Harbor Freight Migmax 215. Yes it is an inverter, yes it is Harbor Freight, but the 1 year risk free trial is iron clad. Buy it and if you don't like it take it back...really simple. Lots of great reviews, Terry (shovelon) from this board was a beta tester, and AvE did a really nice tear down video where he dubbed it a real bargain.
    The HF Vulcan MigMax215 is on sale right now. My shop next door neighbor fried his Miller and borrowed my MigMax215. He returned it and went out and bought two of them for himself. Burns .025 wire better than the Miller ever did. Keeps promising to bring me a case of Modelo Negra for turning him onto that mig welder.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    thanks! that's a great machine but probably too much for my purposes.also, it's pretty pricey ($1500 list price)

O.
    Remember when you have more machine running at lower amps you have more duty cycle. With a smaller machine running near maximum isn't the best. You can't use amps you don't have. Choose wisely.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at HTP. I have an older HTP MIG 240. Running strong since 2003 with no issues. It is a transformer machine.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

HTP 2400 and never look back and never need to upgrade again.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a "transformer over an inverter" welder and "preferably made the USA" pretty well limits you to Hobart. (Those are the reasons I went with Hobart myself.). Neither Miller nor Lincoln make a homeowner-sized transformer welder anymore. The best bang for the buck option is probably the Hobart 210MVP. It will handle the 3/16" you asked for. Get a factory-refurbished one from their site and you can save a few dollars.

If you decide you can go offshore, the only one I would consider is an HTP.
    Last edited by gatemaster; 02-13-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart AirForce 40i
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    HTP 2400 and never look back and never need to upgrade again.
    Until you try the HTP ProPulse 200 or 300. Blows my (previously owned) Millermatic 211 inverter out of the water, and that thing has a sweet arc! Granted, I'm only a hobbyist and only weld from time to time, but when I do weld its just solo nice. Next up is dual shield, and a little aluminum through the 8ft aluminum specific mig gun. Dont make me post a pic of my sig!!!
    Last edited by Oscar; 02-13-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone, good ideas, all much appreciated

i'm really wanting to save a few $ and get something used as a first option but will keep an eye out for sales on some of the models listed here.

O.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the website for refurbished Hobart equipment. You can save a few dollars getting one from here. They are usually out of stock. You have to look frequently and be quick when one shows up. You can sign up for e-mails for when stuff becomes available. This is where I got my 210MVP. It had a few very light scuffs on the gun. Other than that I couldn't tell it from a new one. The cabinet was perfect.

http://www.hobartweldshop.com/recond...lasma-cutters/
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart AirForce 40i
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatemaster View Post
    Here's the website for refurbished Hobart equipment. You can save a few dollars getting one from here. They are usually out of stock. You have to look frequently and be quick when one shows up. You can sign up for e-mails for when stuff becomes available. This is where I got my 210MVP. It had a few very light scuffs on the gun. Other than that I couldn't tell it from a new one. The cabinet was perfect.

http://www.hobartweldshop.com/recond...lasma-cutters/
    That is how I bought my Hobart 190 a couple years ago. They were out of stock so I signed up with my email. Was notified one was available within an hour of selling my Hobart 175 (still working great after more than 10 years). There was nothing that looked used with the HH190 when it arrived. I've used it a bunch for autobody and some exhaust work since, hasn't missed a beat and works great.

Post Thanks / Like

A used ESAB Migmaster 250 might be a contender also.

Post Thanks / Like

hello all,

i'm looking for a MIG to compliment my trusty Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC box. Ideally, it would be capable of handling things up to 3/16" or so (from there I can use the stick box). running off 240V is a good thing and I'm more of a transformer over inverter type.

i'm looking for something new though I certainly won't pass up a good used model. I would greatly appreciate recommendations on good, affordable, preferably made in the USA welders. thanks!

O.
    ok so it's been a couple of years since i posted this and it seems like a good time to circle back.

the used market where i am (south central indiana) is not great so holding out for a good used machine was not working out so well. lots of times people post stuff and they have no clue about it or it's just too far to drive to save what seems like not a whole lot given used vs. new pricing. end result was that i gave into the demands of the budget and went with an HF machine (MigMax 215). it's done everything i've asked of it and i like that it's portable. i've cursed at it a few times and i'm very much aware that it checks none of the original boxes (it's made in China, it's an inverter, etc) but the budget overruled evertything at the time. I've had it about a year and a half and it's OK. i'm still looking for a good used machine but i haven't found anything worthy (yet!). i really want one of those gigantic Hobart Beta Mig machines. not sure why, just want something old school that is made in the US. still looking.

O.

22. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Harbor freight 170 for $199.00 works great for retirement.
    But I have also owned mid welders the cost over $3,000. This was use 100% duty cycle and used all day long.

It come down to what you doing

Dave

hello all,

O.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm stone cold crazy about my HH190. A cheap machine comparatively, and does an excellent job on thin stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

oi'm still looking for a good used machine but i haven't found anything worthy (yet!). i really want one of those gigantic Hobart Beta Mig machines. not sure why, just want something old school that is made in the US. still looking.

O.
    Millermatic 252...the thing welds like a dream. probably the last transformer machine Miller will make in this size range. Absolute beast. I picked up mine used with 2 MIG guns, a 33 lb spool of 0.035 Lincoln superarc wire, and 100 foot of 8/3 SOOW power cord for $1500. If you have to travel a bit to find one, do it. Or buy one new from Cyberweld for $2800, before they discontinue them
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

You should probably start with how much you want to spend. My first recommendation is to spend more. Sure, you could a niceMillermatic 141 for $800 or so, but you should probably spend a little more and get a Millermatic 211. Have a reserve of power is very nice, afterall, you can’t use amps you didn’t buy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist