Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some stuff in our shop... round 2

Post Thanks / Like

Some stuff in our shop... round 2

Since the original post got The 502 Bad Gateway disease I guess ill start over

The bucket i started is now on hold... I cut the old busted floor out of it and the owner thinks he can get a brand new bucket cheaper than rebuilding the old one....I dont know if he is right on that thinkin or not...right now what hes got is useless

So tomorrow me and Joes young lad are gonna come up with a plan for the moldboard or frog as some call it. The young lad woukld like to use some 1 1/4 inch AR plate we have at the shop, Im sure i can use that my only question is drilling the holes, Ive never drilled holes in AR plate before, Ive got a mag drill that i can use Hogan bits with, will the gold colored titanium bits drill ar plate or is their better bits available? Maybe cobalt bits?

What I have done is cut them with a torch and ream em with an end grinder but Tyler (Joes young lad) would rather drill them if possible

Any thoughts from you folks that might have tried it would be appreciated

Name:  #4.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  55.7 KB

This is what we will be workin on

Post Thanks / Like

Some stuff in our shop... round 2

Dont know the answer but Im following along to see what the answer is.

I used to make my own sod harvester blades and used an iron worker for the holes but they were only 5/16 diameter through 1/8AR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some stuff in our shop... round 2

I didnt know they made ar plate that thin...I figured 3/8 was as thin as it got, and the last I welded anything 3/8 was a very long time ago

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had much luck drilling ar with a mag drill. I’ve seen literature on trak-star bits for railroad iron but haven’t tried any.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I drilled AR I used normal HSS bits spun slow, but flooded them with coolant. I did dull a few, don't get the bit or base metal hot or you are done with that hole. But I think a mag base Hogan with sharp cutters would work better. Same thing, flood with coolant. I would grind the millscale where you drill. That stuff is diamond hard on tooling! And Hogans ain't cheap! Most of the AR that we drill, the machinist use a ceramic insert drill. Maybe if all else fails grab a machinist handbook and see about reshaping a normal bit to a flatter angle for hard mat'l. Been awhile, but I thought I saw that in there. What AR are you using? Most of ours is 450-500 or Tricon Tri-braze. If is a slide wear with no impact it is NB plus overlay, cheap but works. What size holes?

I think with that bucket, he may get one cheaper, but with a lousy wear package. Seems they forget that part costs alot.
    Still snow on the ground? Spring thaw here, soupy wet.
    Last edited by MISSING LINK; 03-21-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that instructions that come with poly floor liner says that on ar dump beds to heat the spot cherry red then drill your holes. I have drilled some 1/4” ar in a drill press with a new cobalt bit without problems but it was only a 3/8 hole
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe find if someone makes a pre drilled frog. Drilling holes yourself will become labor intensive $ wise.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I think farming it out might be the way to go.

I know there would be some HAZ problems adjacent to the hole, but I'm not convinced it would amount to a hill of beans. i've read that nitriding only goes about .010 deep. Water jet cutting an option?

https://kotlyn.com/ar400-abrasion-re...t%20off%20saws.

Some crap, it just pays to send it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Any way you look at it gonna cost some money to either get a moldboard ready made which is about a week or so away from today, or layout and drill the holes, so Tyler talked to some folks who deal with this stuff and they told him these moldboards are usually mild steel, he said are you sure about that and they assured him it was so. So if somebody is gonna make some money doin it Tyler and Joe and me all are in argreement it might as well be us makin the money. The plate for the moldboard arrived this afternoon so tomorrow I will be layin out the holes and then be a mag drillin maniac, there might be another guy who can run another drill if he dont get sent to another job somewhere. I already got the drawing made up for the hole layourt so thats done.

Name:  layout work dozer blade.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  54.3 KB

I bolted up the 2 corner bits and clamped the inner edges on the old moldboard to draw up the layout of the holes on paper yesterday afternoon

Name:  ready for a moldboard.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  53.5 KB

I cut the moldboard out this morning and cleaned it up
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 03-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of shots of the excavator bucket with the floor cut out of it, Tyler is still waitin for an answer on this one

Name:  bucket no floor.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  bucket no floor 1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  bucket no floor2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  67.2 KB

It needs a new toothbase on the one corner too. Id really like rebuild this thing, they are a lot of fun to work on. But then again anything I do I consider fun. Most folks tell me Im nuts and crazy. I guess its the challenge of the whole thing...thinkin faster than the iron, buildin something that when Im done is almost indestructable and belive it or not the dirt. I love coal dirt, I grew up in it and never left it I guess

11. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    The last time I drilled AR I used normal HSS bits spun slow, but flooded them with coolant. I did dull a few, don't get the bit or base metal hot or you are done with that hole. But I think a mag base Hogan with sharp cutters would work better. Same thing, flood with coolant. I would grind the millscale where you drill. That stuff is diamond hard on tooling! And Hogans ain't cheap! Most of the AR that we drill, the machinist use a ceramic insert drill. Maybe if all else fails grab a machinist handbook and see about reshaping a normal bit to a flatter angle for hard mat'l. Been awhile, but I thought I saw that in there. What AR are you using? Most of ours is 450-500 or Tricon Tri-braze. If is a slide wear with no impact it is NB plus overlay, cheap but works. What size holes?

I think with that bucket, he may get one cheaper, but with a lousy wear package. Seems they forget that part costs alot.
    Still snow on the ground? Spring thaw here, soupy wet.
    Yeah there are still a few spots that have snow or ice, it was pretty deep up on the mountain and the spots where the sun dont hit still have snow. I think it was 1994 I went for a walk in early June up on the winter side of the mountain here and there was still snow under some blown over trees and under some rocks...that was a cold winter and we had about 10 foot of snow on the ground in Febuary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I think farming it out might be the way to go.

I know there would be some HAZ problems adjacent to the hole, but I'm not convinced it would amount to a hill of beans. i've read that nitriding only goes about .010 deep. Water jet cutting an option?

https://kotlyn.com/ar400-abrasion-re...t%20off%20saws.

Some crap, it just pays to send it out.
    Thats a neat machine. I was talkin to one of the fellas from another company in the same racket we are in. He said what they always did to drill AR plate was heat up the area you got to drill cherry red on both sides and drill, use lotsa cuttin fluid and it will drill like mild steel. So I learned somethin new today.

Post Thanks / Like

So today I layed out the holes in the moldboard and drilled em and then did a test fit

Name:  Fixin tomdrill the last hole.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  66.6 KB

Fixin to drill the last hole

Name:  busted bit1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  39.3 KB

And then this happens...of course it does...damn near busted my fingers too. I got a little frisky feedin the bit

Name:  test fit.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  56.4 KB

Test fit... she bolts up real nice. altogether doin the layout about 6 hours, one man, me. 4 hours doin the layout, check it check it check it check it as you go then check it all again, 2 hours drillin

15. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda fuzzy pic but it looks like you have the frog flush with cutting edge.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Kinda fuzzy pic but it looks like you have the frog flush with cutting edge.
    Yes it is, both sides are flush, tommorrow i will cut the bevel to weld it on and put some dogs on it to hang it on the blade. The leading edge can either be trimmed back an inch or so or I can leave it there and then it will wear down as far as they want it to wear and then turn the edges around. Ive done it both ways already it dont really matter. The way these guys are they might just wear the whole damn thing off in a year and then I can do it all over again

18. Likes mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Yes it is, both sides are flush, tommorrow i will cut the bevel to weld it on and put some dogs on it to hang it on the blade. The leading edge can either be trimmed back an inch or so or I can leave it there and then it will wear down as far as they want it to wear and then turn the edges around. Ive done it both ways already it dont really matter. The way these guys are they might just wear the whole damn thing off in a year and then I can do it all over again
    Yeah, it wont hurt to leave it long and let it wear down. I've done a few scrapers that way. One trick I used on scrapers was to put about 3 extra long bolts in the bit so you could see them scratching in the cut and know it was time to drop or flip the edge... If the operators caught it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yeah, it wont hurt to leave it long and let it wear down. I've done a few scrapers that way. One trick I used on scrapers was to put about 3 extra long bolts in the bit so you could see them scratching in the cut and know it was time to drop or flip the edge... If the operators caught it.
    If the operators caught it...that being the key phrase...I dont know if these guys even look, But hey it keeps me busy and busy boys are happy boys

21. Likes 12V71, mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I don't have to skin that cat. That'll be like trying to cut an overcooked round steak with a case knife!!
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I don't have to skin that cat. That'll be like trying to cut an overcooked round steak with a case knife!!
    I believe you lost me there...skin what cat?

Post Thanks / Like

You've worked how many yrs in mining and have never heard of a catskinner??
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

You've worked how many yrs in mining and have never heard of a catskinner??
    Close to 50 years...nope never heard that one related to mining. Ive done skin the cat on monkey bars, Ive heard the expression there is more than one way to skin a cat and I have skinned a bobcat i shot when I was young fella.

So enlighten me to this one....I can see that this will get to be kinda like the discussion we had about the frog and the moldboard and I enjoyed that discussion

26. Likes mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It must be a regional dialect thing. About everywhere I've worked in the west that's what I've always heard them called.
    You probably already know this, but after cutting the bevel you should check the opposite edge with a good straight edge for warpage. Could make for a bad day to get it welded in and the holes don't quite line up.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It must be a regional dialect thing. About everywhere I've worked in the west that's what I've always heard them called.
    You probably already know this, but after cutting the bevel you should check the opposite edge with a good straight edge for warpage. Could make for a bad day to get it welded in and the holes don't quite line up.
    I believe you are right about the regional thing, yup i checked it with a straitedge and took a few minutes too bolt up the cuttin edges for another test fit, all went well with it, I hung it on the blade today and tommorrow morning Im gonna cut out and tack up some gussets for on the bottom, it didnt have none, but it will when Im done with it. Then start weldin it out

30. Likes 12V71, mla2ofus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catskinner is what we call the tracked bulldozer operator. Unless you opperate a rubber tire bulldozer, then you are a rubber bull. I was a pit welder working with the bullgang,,,, "pit mechanics". Interesting the dialects used around the areas

32. Likes mla2ofus, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    Catskinner is what we call the tracked bulldozer operator. Unless you opperate a rubber tire bulldozer, then you are a rubber bull. I was a pit welder working with the bullgang,,,, "pit mechanics". Interesting the dialects used around the areas
    Now that somethin new to me, never heard of that one. Each trade seem to have their own language as well.