Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some stuff in our shop... round 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some stuff in our shop... round 2

My Grandfather had a fleet of Cats pulling cable scrapers in the 50's and 60's, all those operators were Catskinners according to him. Even in the early 70's when we were picking up rubber tired self powered scrapers he was still calling operators "Skinners".

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  ready for a moldboard.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  53.5 KB

After drillin the holes and cuttin the bevel Im ready to hang the moldboard on

Name:  tacked up ready to weld.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  65.8 KBName:  tacked up ready to weld1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  47.5 KB

all tacked up and ready to weld out the moldboard, Ill do all the gussets and whatnot on the backside first

Name:  all welded up2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  72.9 KBName:  all welded up1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  all welded up.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

back side of the blade all the gussets welded out

Name:  all dressed up2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  all dressed up1.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Here it is all dressed up and ready to go to the dance

Name:  all kinds of modern and ****.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  69.5 KB

This is the machine I ran it with, Im gettin all kinds of modern and civilized and stuff, it took awhile to figure out how to set this thing up bein as how it has a little computer type thing inside it with about 20 different programs for whatever you want to do. Im not really impressed with it, but they wanted me to use it instead of running my 502D and buying the fuel, which makes sense. This is the first time I ever used it, so I guess there is a bit of a learning curve there, Im just used to running those old engine drives most of my life. I suppose you can teach an old dog new tricks

They tell me that excavator bucket isnt gonna happen, the customer is gonna get a brand new one instead. I was lookin forward to rebuildin that one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 03-30-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice progress! Shop work is a nice change of pace sometimes. Less rain anyways. I am in the repair shop now working on buckets, has been nice this winter. Have a 41 yrd P&H right now we are stripping. I have a Miller Dimension as my indoor machine. It is ok, but I prefer my 98 vintage Big Blue 600d instead. It is loud, but 10 times the machine the Dimension is. As far as a heavy repair machine it can outwork a 800 Duo, which we have as well. But, I guess they pay me to use this machine, so, I suppose....
    Me thinks you will be getting the new bucket, for partial rebuild soon enough. Seems like they come light duty when new. I would jot down some quick notes about the old one, so when the time comes to redo it you can hit the ground running.

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can buy the old one, rebuild it & resell. Maybe back to original owner????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    See if you can buy the old one, rebuild it & resell. Maybe back to original owner????
    Thatís a good thought but without a buyer at a confirmed price Popeye could be out a load of hours AND dough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    That’s a good thought but without a buyer at a confirmed price Popeye could be out a load of hours AND dough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I talked with Joe and Tyler about that late last week, we might do that but that decision is up to them. I talked with Tyler this morning and now this guy is kinda sorta waffling on buying that new bucket.

Meanwhile until the next project comes up Im doin some work on my rig and catchin up with the honeydo projects at home.

8. Likes Lis2323 liked this post