Thread: welding wire extension

Post Thanks / Like

welding wire extension

I need more distance welding out of shop. Which is more advantageous with a Ac?Dc tombstone, extend from plug, or add additional cable exiting the welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: welding wire extension

More welding lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious as to the reasoning, I'm new, spoon feed me on info

Post Thanks / Like

Get whichever is cheaper. Its probably going to be SO cord instead of two #1 or 1/0 copper leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Whichever is the higher voltage is better to extend.
    Also, pushing AC through a wire is easier than pushing DC.
    Edison lost the DC battle to Tesla's AC,, mainly because it is easy to move AC long distances.

Pushing high amps through a wire causes LOTS of wire heating,,
    Pushing high volts through a wire is easy,,

Look how small the "high voltage" wire is that brings the power to the transformer that powers your home,, tiny.

Move the machine, and get an extension cord,,, IMHO,,,

6. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather drag welding leads than drag the welder. A lot depends on the situation - how far, what your welding amps are, what the ground conditions are, etc., but for me - welding leads.

1/8 rods - you are at 1/2 capacity of a 225A welder. At 100A a #1 welding cable is good for 300'. That would be 200' for stinger lead & 100' for work lead (or any other combination).

I have an engine drive & 4 or 5 1/0 extensions - close to 400' if you put them all together - But I work on towers & if the welding is less than 200' I leave the welder on the ground. Over 200' I'll hoist the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used on some jobs 120 volt 12 gauge cord and made adapters for 120 volt cord to 240 welder cord.

But later I purchased 100 foot of 8 gauge SOOW 600 volt cord and made great cord.
    The 600 volt will far longer than 300 volt.

I wish it was longer and 4 wire for other uses too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter View Post
    I need more distance welding out of shop. Which is more advantageous with a Ac?Dc tombstone, extend from plug, or add additional cable exiting the welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Either one , or both will work. The price difference isn't that huge, you might want to get both. If your welding small jobs like lawn mower decks, and small trailer repairs, the extension cord will be easier. If your building 12-20 foot long trailers, or repairing larger farm implements the extra length in the welding cable is what you would need. Both of these items can be used on other set-ups if you should add or upgrade you machine. There may be better deals on the web, but Northern Tool was the easiest example for me to find.

Century Wire and Cable Pro Grip Welding Extension Cord — 50ft., 8 AWG, 40 Amps, $189.99
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5582_200605582

Hobart Welding Stick Cable Set — No. 2, 50ft. Electrode Cable with Holder, 50ft. Work Cable with Clamp, 2-Pc. Set, $234.99
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...0404_200390404

regards,
    Last edited by albrightree; 03-27-2021 at 09:07 AM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Weight isn't that much different either.

Name:  16315_200x200.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  62.8 KB
    24 lbs

Name:  628511_200x200.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  49.4 KB
    30lbs

6 of one, or half dozen of another.
    Last edited by albrightree; 03-27-2021 at 09:02 AM.
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

How much distance are you talking ?? It depends on what you're working on. Additional cable will provide more versatility getting around to the weld area. I think it's easier adding cable and going over stuff then moving machine.
    The other consideration is buy a engine drive. That's why I bought my Miller 302 Trailblazer. Awesome machine and I've used it for emergency power for house a few times. It really saved the day during a winter storm / blizzard. Below zero temperature and 30 MPH winds house cools down quick.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have an extension cord for my stick machine made from
    salvaged Romex (not suggested, but it was free).Welder was on a
    hand truck.Now I leave the welder under the bench and have
    extension welding cables for working outside. Costs a couple hundred
    for cable but I think it’s more convenient. You do need to walk to the
    machine to make adjustments.
    Maybe one day I’ll put my mig machine on a cart and make an extension
    cord for it.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Power cord all day long.

Post Thanks / Like

With my Trailblazer Pro 350D, I have around 250' of leads available if necessary.

However, for smaller amperage welders - such as my Lincoln 210MP, I would want to use an AC extension cord instead of longer leads due to the voltage loss on DC.

Amazon sells a 6 gauge extension cord with 8 gauge ground for $186.00. If you have an adequate amount of lead with your tombstone welder for working around your projects, I'd go with the extension cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-15307...%2C207&sr=8-12
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

I've always just extended the cord on the welder. Since the power to the welder is higher voltage than the power going to the welding leads (120 or 240V versus say 30V arc voltage), the amperage going through the power cord is going to be lower, which means you can use thinner AWG wire for the power cord than for the welding leads, so it should cost less. Copper ain't cheap.

I'll also echo what BD1 said about engine drives. My engine drive welder welds far nicer than any stick welder I've ever used, since you can vary the arc characteristics by using different taps and settings on the rheostat. Unless I just need to smutch something together in a hurry, I'll always choose the engine drive welder over a plug-in welder...it makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing!
    Last edited by Kelvin; 03-27-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller 330 A/BP
    Miller Big Blue 251D

Post Thanks / Like

THIS is a great forum! I had no idea I would generate this much response. I gained more insight than expected. Question to myself is which advantage will work for my situation.Thank you to all that replied to this newbie's request.
    bonesetter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    How much distance are you talking ?? It depends on what you're working on. Additional cable will provide more versatility getting around to the weld area. I think it's easier adding cable and going over stuff then moving machine.
    The other consideration is buy a engine drive. That's why I bought my Miller 302 Trailblazer. Awesome machine and I've used it for emergency power for house a few times. It really saved the day during a winter storm / blizzard. Below zero temperature and 30 MPH winds house cools down quick.
    If he does decide to go engine powered for mobility, having extra leads, and power cords will be a plus. The OP just finished repairing a used disassembled AC/DC 225/125, and says he didn't retire rich engine drives aren't cheap.... Although portable power maybe what he needs if he plans on doing some side work at other peoples sites. You really can't count on having good power at remote, or non industrial sites. Backup power is very handy too, doubling as a welder keeps it from sitting without running too long (bad for gasoline engines).

Since you said" trailers in the drive way", I would buy both( I already have). The extension cord will get the welder out of the garage and down the driveway a bit. The long leads will help you get around a 12 ft or 20 ft trailer without moving the welding machine.

good luck
    Last edited by albrightree; 03-28-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Whichever is the higher voltage is better to extend.
    This.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!