Thread: How to weld AG Plow points

Post Thanks / Like

How to weld AG Plow points

Donít here to much about this , well least I donít.
    But the points on my plows are 70. Years old and they are almost impossible to find replacement for example Allis Chalmers number 4 or the Oliver number Seven
    A any way guy on the AC Forum said that in the manual that I can heat up the points red hot and bend them down 1/8 of and inch. Sound ok to me ,cause I donít know if I know the first thing about welding plow points never done it or even seen it,

Please share your experience .Iím listening !cthank you

Also Iím thinking of getting about a big bag of 40 # charcoal and burying the point in charcoal and light it and get the points red hot to bend them ,I donít think my torch can get that much area that hot ? Any words of caution , I will greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to weld AG Plow points

Quote Originally Posted by 560Dennis View Post
    Donít here to much about this , well least I donít.
    But the points on my plows are 70. Years old and they are almost impossible to find replacement for example Allis Chalmers number 4 or the Oliver number Seven
    A any way guy on the AC Forum said that in the manual that I can heat up the points red hot and bend them down 1/8 of and inch. Sound ok to me ,cause I donít know if I know the first thing about welding plow points never done it or even seen it,

Please share your experience .Iím listening !cthank you

Also Iím thinking of getting about a big bag of 40 # charcoal and burying the point in charcoal and light it and get the points red hot to bend them ,I donít think my torch can get that much area that hot ? Any words of caution , I will greatly appreciated
    I have experience building out moldboards, and it's been positive. The built up area will wear differently from the parent metal, but in the situation you're in, it's sort of a thing you'll have to live with.

Scouring will be different until the welded area gets polished by the soil running over it. Again.........you don't really have a choice in the matter. It takes time before the soil will run well over it without sticking.

I've also built up the hoe points on my International 150 hoe drill with success. One thing to be careful of.......try your best to grind the built up area back to the original form, otherwise the point will lose suction, and just gouge the ground.

On moldboards, I used 7014. On the points, I used 7018.

I've never heat treated this stuff. The base metals are fairly complex, and I have no idea how they'd react to heating.

Post Thanks / Like

Also.......you might try Shoup for parts. They carry a decent selection of plow bottoms.

4. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This place has an extensive selection of EVERYTHING AG,,,

https://qualityfarmsupply.com/

I would get a new plow point that is close, and modify as necessary,, much easier than fixing/bending old stuff,,

6. Likes BD1 liked this post