Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Double cut shears vs unishears

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Double cut shears vs unishears

    I'm in the middle of a pretty major remodel, and have a need to cut some long strips of 16ga sheet, as well as a little metal ducting. I'd like to buy tools that will also serve well in a metal shop... I now have a MP210, but haven't had much time with it, due to the remodel.

    It seems like a double cut shear or a unishear, combined with a small and large (10-ga) nibbler is a good long-term combo for metal work in a multi-purpose shop, where I'd like less airborne particles (such as using a grinder to cut). So, I am leaning towards a pair of 14ga shears.

    What are the reasons I should consider 14ga double cut shears versus a 14ga unishears?

    Any recommendations for finding a good (new or used) pair of electrics for a couple hundred bucks or less?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by rossn; 03-25-2021 at 08:15 PM.

  2. Likes tapwelder liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Are you in Canada? I have a Makita and a Bosch for sale. Both 16 gauge capacity in mild steel. $200 Cdn each.







    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    New with good brand that keeps new blades.

    I have single left and right cut and double cut hand shears. But only cut up to 24 gauge used on metal roofs.

    If I had a real use heavier from 22 gauge and up I would buy a electric shear on 120 volt , start with single and later add double/nibbler.
    The few times I need over 24 gauge I used a 4.5" grinder or cutting torch.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by rossn View Post
    I'm in the middle of a pretty major remodel, and have a need to cut some long strips of 16ga sheet, as well as a little metal ducting. I'd like to buy tools that will also serve well in a metal shop... I now have a MP210, but haven't had much time with it, due to the remodel.

    It seems like a double cut shear or a unishear, combined with a small and large (10-ga) nibbler is a good long-term combo for metal work in a multi-purpose shop, where I'd like less airborne particles (such as using a grinder to cut). So, I am leaning towards a pair of 14ga shears.

    What are the reasons I should consider 14ga double cut shears versus a 14ga unishears?

    Any recommendations for finding a good (new or used) pair of electrics for a couple hundred bucks or less?

    Thanks!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Thanks!

    I'm in the US, not Canada. Did Bosch stop making corded models?

    I would be using it more for metal fab than roofing/duct/etc. It seems like the long slitting/double cut versions have a very good radius, whereas one like the Kett 440 can only do a 7" radius. I still cannot figure if you can turn the head 90degrees on the Kett, but it seems like maybe not. Seems like a good value at $200 new.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Sounds like a nibbler would work better for what you need.

    I like my Makita...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    I use a Milwaukee 8" metal cutting circular saw for cutting sheetmetal. I just make straight cuts and it's great !!
    I have a old-time Bosh unishear for light gauge. I'm amazed it is still going after many years. Bosch is all we used at work on 20 gauge and less.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    That is a pretty slick nibbler jig! Did you fab that? I'm noticing the makita emblem, but it looks custom. So, all the niblets go on top of the work piece?

    I have definitely heard good things about the metal cutting circular saws. I'm assuming that is really best for sheet sized goods. How thick CR mild steel can you go with those?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Quote Originally Posted by rossn View Post
    That is a pretty slick nibbler jig! Did you fab that? I'm noticing the makita emblem, but it looks custom. So, all the niblets go on top of the work piece?

    I have definitely heard good things about the metal cutting circular saws. I'm assuming that is really best for sheet sized goods. How thick CR mild steel can you go with those?
    I had mine a couple of years. I only use for sheet goods. I've cut sheets of 20 gauge into strips.
    I cut plenty of 1/4" no problems. The thickest I cut was 1/2".
    There's members here that cut 1" thick.
    I know there's a few post about the Milwaukee.
    I bought the HF metal cutting saw when they were available. It worked out great for my work. I was so impressed I decided to by a
    "real" saw. Bought the Milwaukee then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Quote Originally Posted by rossn View Post
    That is a pretty slick nibbler jig! Did you fab that? I'm noticing the makita emblem, but it looks custom. So, all the niblets go on top of the work piece??
    Yes I made the stand.

    It works well but I'm not loving it. I haven't used it enough to figure out what I don't like about it yet.

    The slugs just bounce off onto the floor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Looks great

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Sounds like a nibbler would work better for what you need.

    I like my Makita...




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I had mine a couple of years. I only use for sheet goods. I've cut sheets of 20 gauge into strips.
    I cut plenty of 1/4" no problems. The thickest I cut was 1/2".
    There's members here that cut 1" thick.
    I know there's a few post about the Milwaukee.
    I bought the HF metal cutting saw when they were available. It worked out great for my work. I was so impressed I decided to by a
    "real" saw. Bought the Milwaukee then.
    @BD1 - been thinking a lot more on your comment about the circular saw. I watched some more videos last night, and those saws are pretty awesome... it has opened my eyes to considering this as a more versatile option that would be more useable across the board for metal projects, reducing the need for a future plasma cutter. It's not as clean on thinner materials as shears, but seems to be infinitely better than a grinder and better than a plasma, in terms of clean-up and fire safety.

    I would say 95% of the metal I would be cutting would be anywhere from 18ga-1/4" sheet or tubing up to 3/16" wall. The other 5% of the time, maybe there is some 3/8-1/2"+ rod/sheet or 1/4" wall tubing. Prices are not tremendously different, so I am all about buying the right tool for ease of use and the long-term. I know the Milwaukee is a pretty big portable saw, and doesn't have very good cut visibility or mitering. For me, do you think the 8" is overkill, relative to a smaller 7" like the evolution?

    Do you do much chopping of tubing/bar stock with yours, or is that a hassle?

    Of course, circular saws always have the reputation for being on the more dangerous end of the spectrum. Sawing metal, do you ever start to get lift or other situations where it feels like the saw wants to kick back?

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    I have the Milwaukee 8" saw. You will want a higher tooth count blade than the stock one for material usually under 14 gauge or so and with lighter gauge expanded metal. What you have to do is rethink how you use a typical circular saw. Forget trying to see the cut line, measure off the blade to the side of the shoe and mark your line there. Best yet is to use a straitedge as a guide. Set the depth of cut so it just makes it thru the cut. You won't get binding or kickbacks if you fully support the work, avoid twisting the saw and follow the other 2 things I mentioned.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    ''Do you do much chopping of tubing/bar stock with yours, or is that a hassle?

    Of course, circular saws always have the reputation for being on the more dangerous end of the spectrum. Sawing metal, do you ever start to get lift or other situations where it feels like the saw wants to kick back''?

    I use the Milwaukee for sheets only and never had a issue with kickback. Supporting work well and using a straight edge is a must. I use the Milwaukee 50 tooth for thin material which is 3/32'' or less. That's what Milwaukee recommends. I've only used the Milwaukee Blades which I bought from Zoro Tools when they use to have 30% off.
    I have an Ellis 1600 for the rest of my cutting along with a HF 4x6, abrasive saw, and handheld portaband.
    I bought the Evolution on clearance a couples of years ago. It was a toy compared to the Milwaukee and sold it.
    Here's what i made for cutting sheets the narrow way, works well. I always use a straight edge, the only way to do it.
    I use this Milwaukee portabandv on stand for all my artwork. It's extremely handy and bought it cheap because of busted casting.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Thanks - sounds like the Milwaukee is the metal circular saw of choice. Too bad, given the Evo can do a bevel. Did you have the Evo 7 or 9? It is a bit telling that the specs on the Evo 9 are the same amp motor as the milwaukee, but only rated at 1/2".

    It is odd tool mfg's aren't adapting this to their tracks for their track saws... seems like it would be a perfect fit.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,654
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Double cut shears vs unishears

    Quote Originally Posted by rossn View Post
    Thanks - sounds like the Milwaukee is the metal circular saw of choice. Too bad, given the Evo can do a bevel. Did you have the Evo 7 or 9? It is a bit telling that the specs on the Evo 9 are the same amp motor as the milwaukee, but only rated at 1/2".

    It is odd tool mfg's aren't adapting this to their tracks for their track saws... seems like it would be a perfect fit.
    Mine was the older 7 one. Milwaukee has 5 year warranty according to the listing at Northern Tool. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8aAmXaEALw_wcB

    The Evolution has 3 year. https://store.evolutionpowertools.co...w230#guarantee

    Where you located ? You can try mine if your close to Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin.

    I've had Milwaukee tools forever. I still have and use the shallow cutting portaband. That was before the current ''Deepthroat'' was even avaiable. Yes, I'm old

  17. Likes Lis2323 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,624,257,852.38870 seconds with 15 queries