Thread: Thoriated vs Lanthanated Tungsten

Post Thanks / Like

Thoriated vs Lanthanated Tungsten

Hi, my name is Craig and I'm a tungsten dipper.

I guess I'm just not steady enough. Anyway, I've been welding on some 304 and 316 tube recently. Since getting my AHP Alpha-TIG a few years ago, I've been running 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten. After a few dips in the pool, it's off to the grinder (again). I've almost given up sharpening both ends as I can rarely get the bad end into the collet. A couple of days ago the tungsten I'd been using was getting pretty short and I decided to try a thoriated from a full pack that I inherited. I noticed very quickly that it was much more tolerant of dipping, retaining a useful point with much less metal pick-up than the lanthanated. More time welding, less time grinding and longer tungsten life.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    South Bend Heavy 10L Lathe
    Kent 9x42 Vertical Mill
    AHP Alpha-TIG 200x
    1974 Lincoln AC-225
    HF 4x6 Bandsaw
    Kalamazoo 8CW Horizontal Bandsaw

Welding: It's like sewing with fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoriated vs Lanthanated Tungsten

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhoopee View Post

I guess I'm just not steady enough. Anyway, I've been welding on some 304 and 316 tube recently. Since getting my AHP Alpha-TIG a few years ago, I've been running 3/32 2% lanthanated tungsten. After a few dips in the pool, it's off to the grinder (again). I've almost given up sharpening both ends as I can rarely get the bad end into the collet. A couple of days ago the tungsten I'd been using was getting pretty short and I decided to try a thoriated from a full pack that I inherited. I noticed very quickly that it was much more tolerant of dipping, retaining a useful point with much less metal pick-up than the lanthanated. More time welding, less time grinding and longer tungsten life.

Been using 2% thoriated for over 40 years. Undisputed champ for welding DC tig. Keep the blue for AC.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Admitting you dip your tungsten is the 1st step to recover! LOL. I dont TIG weld all that often, but I'm a dipper as well. It seems the more you weld your skill will improve. BTW I can't tell the difference between the two tungstens.
    It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhoopee View Post

I haven't been using the thoriated as long as shovelon, but agree with him, thoriated is the king for DC TIG, even though it is technically slightly radioactive and you want to avoid breathing in or eating the grinding dust from sharpening them.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't dip that often, then there's not much difference between the two for DC. Thoriated stays sharper for longer, but by the time lanth point erodes you'll probably dip sometime shortly anyway.
    If I had mechanised TIG I'd probably want Thoriated, but for my uses I like just using lanth for everything
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly thoriated is still very efficient but breathing radioactive fumes and dust?

Post Thanks / Like

Cut the whole pack in two and sharpen them all. No reason to go on once the tungsten gets contaminated.

The type of tungsten you need probably should not be based on how well one takes to dipping and/or continues to work after a dip. Stop and freshen up every time is much better plan. Have a bunch on hand and swapping is so fast. Don't ask how I know. Lol.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-18-2021 at 07:10 PM.

8. Likes Munkul, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally use purple, it is in my opinion the best jack of all polarities. I only run purple because my guys loose stuff and between the trucks and shop, it's hard to keep 3 sizes of 2 colors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2% lanthanated for AC, DC, everything. Not sure whether I've ever even tried thoriated.

I sharpen 10 or 15 at a time, then swap them out as they get fouled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Cut the whole pack in two and sharpen them all. No reason to go on once the tungsten gets contaminated.

The type of tungsten you need probably should not be based on how well one takes to dipping and/or continues to work after a dip. Stop and freshen up every time is much better plan. Have a bunch on hand and swapping is so fast. Don't ask how I know. Lol.
    the logical part of my brain agrees with you, but the lazy part of my brain tells me that I've passed many an X ray pipe weld with a big stinking blog of snot on the end of the tungsten because I was in a C%$T of a spot and it was to hard to get out to change it and the helper was off doing unsavory things to the dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    and the helper was off doing unsavory things to the dog.
    You have a dog for a fire watch and a helper to assist the dog? I'd like to apply for that position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    the logical part of my brain agrees with you, but the lazy part of my brain tells me that I've passed many an X ray pipe weld with a big stinking blog of snot on the end of the tungsten because I was in a C%$T of a spot and it was to hard to get out to change it and the helper was off doing unsavory things to the dog.
    Welding anything that was galvanized even with it ground off will have you ignoring the junk on tungsten too. Modified some boat trailers and jeez was that nasty stuff to get nice clean welds on. Like welding with a sparkler in your feed hand. Bought a new mig shortly after. Lol. Hardly use it though.