Thread: Looking at mig or possible mts.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at mig or possible mts.

Hey Iíve been looking into getting back into welding and grabbing a machine for home fab and some side jobs. I was a professional for 10 years where I did mainly mig/tig, before going back to school and becoming a nurse. Iíve been looking at the everlast machines and was thinking about the I-Mig 230i since Iíd mostly use mig, but as I was looking I saw the MTS machines and love the pulse feature of the MTS 251si with tig package.

I looked at the lightning snd would love to have the extra features but honestly canít really justify the price at the moment for something thatís more than Iíd use on a regular basis. So I guess the couple of questions are is how does the welding differ between them? Arc quality, feel etc. Also does everlast ever run any discounts or specials or will they be anytime soon?

Iím looking to purchase soon so any help would be appreciated thanks! Also I spent the last 5 years of my welding career using a miller 252 for mig and a dynasty on the occasions I had to tig weld for reference if that helps.

And sorry for formatting I am on mobile.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking at mig or possible mts.

Do not buy the 251 for the MIG pulse unless you are a highly skilled MIG welder who understands what MIG pulse is. You should look at the lightning 225, which has a better price.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Do not buy the 251 for the MIG pulse unless you are a highly skilled MIG welder who understands what MIG pulse is. You should look at the lightning 225, which has a better price.
    Well Iíd say I was highly skilled 3 years ago granted Iím most likely quite rusty now as I havenít done any welding in a couple years. But also from a price stand point the lighting 225 is priced at 2k and the 251 at 1439. Are those prices incorrect on the site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a fully manual setup. If you want pulse, and an easy time of it, go with the 253dpi or 353dpi.

No it is correct pricing, but if you want AC TIG, then the 225 is the lowest priced MIG, AC/DC TIG/ DC Stick we have. By "better price", I am referring to comparison to the 275 which would have the same power as the 251si.
    Last edited by lugweld; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:38 AM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT