+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Vulcan Protig 205 - flows gas but no arc??

Post Thanks / Like

New Vulcan Protig 205 - flows gas but no arc??

I purchased a Vulcan ProTig 205 set it up and it turns on, when I step on the pedal I get gas flowing through the torch but no arc. I have tried AC and DC but no luck. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Vulcan Protig 205 - flows gas but no arc??

Does the HF fire at all? It probably won't help, but I'd try scratch starting it....hit the pedal then swipe the tungsten off the work piece. If you still don't get an arc I'd just take it back for a replacement. Actually, that's probably what I would do either way, but it would be interesting to know if it will actually produce an arc.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

This is actually the second one, they both did the same thing so it must be something I am doing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had mine turned on in weeks. Check and see if there is a preflow window. If so it may have a very long preflow. Then see if you can turn it down. Then if you turn it down, power the machine off and see if it remembers. My employees mess with my Dynastys on occasion and wreck the preflow setting.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

The preflow window is set to 0.3 seconds and post flow is set to 3 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the work clamp hooked up? Pics of everything would really help.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the clamp is hooked up. I even tried touching the torch directly to the clamp. I will add pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1StopJeff View Post
    The preflow window is set to 0.3 seconds and post flow is set to 3 seconds.

Whoa, 3 second post flow is too little.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would power the machine up, strike an arc in the air, then let the post flow run out. Touch tungsten to the metal and lift some 1/16" and hit the pedal. If you are trying to lift arc, the machine will not let you do it. And if the machine will not light up with a gap, it will also turn itself off. That is a self protection feature.

By the way, I really hate the pedal. Used it a few weeks ago on a gate build and standing on the pedal is almost impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

It wont strike an arc in the air, it wont arc anywhere. I am running a 75/25 argon/CO2 mix, could that be the issue? This is so weird to have 2 units do the exact same thing. I have tried it on 220v and 110v and it acts the same way. https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...ac78f7d24d.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1StopJeff View Post
    It wont strike an arc in the air, it wont arc anywhere. I am running a 75/25 argon/CO2 mix, could that be the issue? This is so weird to have 2 units do the exact same thing. I have tried it on 220v and 110v and it acts the same way. https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...ac78f7d24d.jpg

I don't know if the gas will prevent an arc from starting, but you can't TIG weld with 75/25. You need 100% argon....you can use helium or helium/argon blends, but they're expensive and not something a beginner needs to worry about.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having the exact same problem with the protig 205. This is the second one that did this this week. I had the first on for almost 2 months with no problems under daily use. I returned it and got a replacement and 2 days later, I have the same problem. I assumed that I was using it too long for the duty cycle on the first one, so was very careful not to use it for more than one pass without giving it a 10 minute break while running ac tig at 170. After about 6 2inch passes it died last night again. I checked all the wiring, ground a new area for my grounding clamp to make sure it was properly grounded, tried scratch starting it and still nothing. After attempting to scratch start it the machine screen started to blink on and off continuously until I turned it off and on. Pressed the reset button and still nothing. This one won't create an arc at all, but the last one would make a inconsistent chattering arc but not strong enough to weld with. This is a major problem for me because I use this welder to run my business. I'll return it today and get another one and hopefully this will be the last time I have a problem. I'm definitely going to leave a this exact same review on the harbor freight website.

13. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dashwelding View Post
    This is a major problem for me because I use this welder to run my business. I'll return it today and get another one and hopefully this will be the last time I have a problem. I'm definitely going to leave a this exact same review on the harbor freight website.
    I sure wouldn't bet my business on that. At the very least I would dump that HF machine and get a Primeweld 225....you don't see review after review with them not working out of the box, breaking after only a handful of uses, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't even trust that level of machine for business use, but they seem to have far fewer problems than the other cheap imported machines.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

When are you people going to learn after the first one get your money back and go elsewhere. I got a DOA one and had to argue to get my full refund back. They wanted to charge me a restocking fee. NOPE I would not accept that.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist