+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

If that was Ron Covell in the video, he does lots of workshops and had a regular series in Street Rodder magazine under Professor Hammer... try googling those 2 names for a bunch of stuff on sheet metal work. I watched customizing genius Gene Whitfield work with one of those slappers and I was amazed. That's what inspired me to make my own. Making a wooden bowl stump in the shape of a Model A fender is also on my to-do list. The baseball bat hammer is no joke... if you check out some of the metal shaping at the HAMB (Hokey *** Message Board... it's for guys into traditional rodding) that's a favorite among the shape shifters. Of course then you'll also want a power hammer and an English Wheel...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 04-14-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

2. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If that was Ron Covell in the video, he does lots of workshops and had a regular series in Street Rodder magazine under Professor Hammer... try googling those 2 names for a bunch of stuff on sheet metal work. I watched customizing genius Gene Whitfield work with one of those slappers and I was amazed. That's what inspired me to make my own. Making a wooden bowl stump in the shape of a Model A fender is also on my to-do list. The baseball bat hammer is no joke... if you check out some of the metal shaping at the HAMB (Hokey *** Message Board... it's for guys into traditional rodding) that's a favorite among the shape shifters. Of course then you'll also want a power hammer and an English Wheel...
    He also has started a YouTube channel with a Lot of good videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Sometimes it's a matter of not knowing what tools are out there. When I search youtube, I try to keep things open-ended in the search terms. Too specific makes it too specific, if you get my drift. I'll search for "making a fender" even though I don't care one iota about making fenders. The techniques the guy uses are pretty much the same as I'd need for forging heavier stock and it opens up more options for videos. For awhile, I was on a "tinsmithing" kick and it was fun to watch for interesting tools in the background. I was surprised at how many new videos it brought up that had nothing to do with tin-working, and that led me down the path of copper-smithing, auto-body work, etc. It's like the search algorithm is just waiting to drop more videos, but won't do it unless you shake things up a bit.

Once you've made a metal stump like in the video, you'll kick yourself for not making one sooner. With a slapper and a couple bats, you can do some crazy shapes in sheet metal and it really opens the floodgates in terms of what you can build. Wooden dishing stumps are great, of course, but there's something to be said for the heft of a steel stump. When I made mine, I back-filled it with all kinds of crap from the shop and about 30# of sand -- keeps it really stable and deadens any ring it might have. Just need to get a wider base on it so it doesn't rock as much.

My LWS gave me an acetylene tank that is condemned, but dang - not sure if it is stump-worthy...

From what I'm learning, it's filled with some kind of porous media (asbestos, crushed fire brick - seems like lot's of different things could be in it), acetone, and acetylene fumes. The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is:

How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? I'm assuming filling with water and cutting it open can be done safely - but am I left with a toxic smelly mess to try and dispose of? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    My LWS gave me an acetylene tank that is condemned, but dang - not sure if it is stump-worthy...

From what I'm learning, it's filled with some kind of porous media (asbestos, crushed fire brick - seems like lot's of different things could be in it), acetone, and acetylene fumes. The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is:

How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? I'm assuming filling with water and cutting it open can be done safely - but am I left with a toxic smelly mess to try and dispose of? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    I would be super careful with that, because of the filler and acetone those cylinders can off-gas for quite some time. If... you can unscrew the valve and wash the filler out completely with a high pressure water jet, I dont know if I would mess with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my... I'm so happy with tonight's progress!

Name:  20210415_191723-01.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  246.0 KB

Name:  20210415_191745-01.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  203.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Is that dude smoking a cigar in a public area? Hope he brought enough for everyone.

Nice job looks great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is: How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    Shallow dishes aren't bad dishes. It might limit you a bit, but not as much as you think. And it'll certainly get you by until you find another tank with a deeper dish!

Don't worry about the contents of the tank. Some dish soap and water will flush out all the remaining acetylene or whatever might be in there. As soon as you fill it up to the top so it's 100% full of water, there's no room for the gas to exist even inside the strata that the tank might be filled with. Leave it sit for a couple of days, check to see if the water level has dropped, indicating that it's penetrated deeper into the sponge-like filler that might be inside the tank, and top if off if necessary.

Even gasses that are heavier than air.... aren't heavier than water. The water will force the gas up and out the spout as long as you've got the valve removed.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all, but better safe than sorry as they say. Fill it with water and soap, let it sit for two days, then pour it out and cut it open.

If there is some kind of filler medium in there.... it's not a problem for you. Just leave it in there. When you put a flat plate on the bottom, whatever filler material is left in the cylinder will only help deaden any ringing, making the stump far nicer to work with.

That little copper pig tail sticking out the bottom is the only way I could ground the thing as I welded the base on. Oddly enough, just the weight of the stump was enough to get me a good connection and I didn't have any problems running a semi-decent bead. Whatever the alloy of those cylinders is, it welds really nice!

11. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle.
    Just to put my money where my mouth is.... here's the Steel Puck of Awesomeness!

Back ages ago, my dad bought some plastic pucks that are used by sheet-metal guys when making thinks like fenders and tanks. Seemed like a good idea, but too small and too flimsy for blacksmith work. So.... a few got turned on the lathe just to see if they'd be handy.

15º angle, if memory serves, and only about 1/2" deep. I've forged many many many a dish on these things including a ladle that I've never actually used since I forged it!

13. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Is that dude smoking a cigar in a public area? Hope he brought enough for everyone.

Nice job looks great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I keep a few around for friends...

Name:  20210416_103043-01.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  200.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

15. Likes VaughnT, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm pretty much done with this piece (to be the base). Fingers, nose, knees and shoulders today. Cut a grinding ball into 1/4's and shaped to fit the arms and legs. (Killed 1 HF grinder and 5 zip discs.)

The nose is bent and formed and fitted 18ga sheet.

Name:  20210417_142712-01.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  414.9 KB

Name:  20210417_142739-01.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  408.0 KB

Name:  20210417_142759-01.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  428.9 KB

I'm fairly pleased with it. Still some blending/grinding to do, and I think I'll make a necklace - a sea turtle, the missus loves her turtles!

Spittin' image?

Name:  20210417_171356-01.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  116.0 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work,well that explains the Stogy, No complaints yet from the Cancel culture. not me I think its fun
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

18. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shootr, that guy turned out looking great! (not the live one, the steel one. LOL), it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?

20. Likes Shootr, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?
    My vote is to leave both unpainted.

:

22. Likes Shootr, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time looking at this thread.

I think the totem pole looks great.

Like I said from the beginning when you first came to this board,

You have great artistic ideas
    But your welding is a little crappy.

I see the welding skills are coming along a bit.

Keep it up.

You obviously have a vision of what the accomplished project should look like.

And so far everything looks great.

Even though some of those original projects will probably fall down and kill a small dog.

LoL

Nice going you sicko.

Just kidding.

Boy that stogie looks good.
    I wish you were my neighbor
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

24. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That came out awesome. Too bad you couldn't clear coat it. I think it looks great shiny!
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

26. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Shootr, that guy turned out looking great! (not the live one, the steel one. LOL), it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    My vote is to leave both unpainted.

No paint, I like the weathered rusty look. Plus it helps hide the flaws!

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    First time looking at this thread.

I think the totem pole looks great.

Like I said from the beginning when you first came to this board,

You have great artistic ideas
    But your welding is a little crappy.

I see the welding skills are coming along a bit.

Keep it up.

You obviously have a vision of what the accomplished project should look like.

And so far everything looks great.

Even though some of those original projects will probably fall down and kill a small dog.

LoL

Nice going you sicko.

Just kidding.

Boy that stogie looks good.
    I wish you were my neighbor
    I wish you were my neighbor too - I'd gladly trade cigars for welding tips. 18ga and thinner gives me fits and I still struggle with dialing in settings correctly. Sometimes I guess and it's spot on, other times it takes a bit to get in the ballpark. My cheat sheet is slowly growing though and I don't practice enough.

If the dog's in my yard, it's probably taking a dump (that the owner NEVER picks up) - so I'd chalk it up to karma if the basta@rd got squished someday...
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking totem. I vote for the clear coat or let 'er rust if that bakes yer biscuit!!

30. Likes Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work, as always.

If you want to speed up the rusting, you can hit it with some muriatic acid and a spray down with Peroxide. instant rusting and a real pretty "wood grain" appearance, imo.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.45.34 PM.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  47.6 KB

32. Likes Lis2323, Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Started on the second spirit today... Well, cleaned up an old air tank anyways:

Name:  20210523_120544-01.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  288.5 KB

Used a bearing race as the connector/spacer. I swear, being able to see may just improve my QC a bit (and help pay for a "name" welder).

Name:  20210523_120631-01.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  259.3 KB

Name:  20210523-120715-01.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  20210523-120723-01.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  141.1 KB

That'll work just fine:

Name:  20210523-115831-01.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  102.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

34. Likes N2 Welding, VaughnT, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I will be basing this next spirit on - mama bear with her cub.

First challenge: the ears (see pic).

Name:  Screenshot_20210524-085608_Photos.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  120.5 KB

I want them to look like they have thickness, not just sheet metal, but it's not absolutely necessary. However, I do not have the equipment to shape/bend steel like 1/4". They won't have to support the 2 more planned figures on top - I can install a central post to share the load.

For now I'm thinking 11-16ga steel, but layered. A semicircle with details cut from more sheet steel to create some kind of depth.

I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea or two.

Thx
    Last edited by Shootr; 05-24-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

36. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get some pieces of 1/4" or whatever thickness you desire round or square bar and bend to shape. Then skin both sides of the bar with thin gauge material and weld the perimeter.
    Use your new forge to bend the bar easily and get a compound curve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

38. Likes Shootr, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pat, I think that's the way to go. I may sacrifice a 20lb bottle since the radius/diameter is the same, then bend the bar to match it.

With a 3-day weekend coming up, I'm pretty excited. Every evening I've been studying the picture to map out the order of work. I'll make everything before welding to be sure the proportions are good.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

It's real easy to bend 1/4"x1" cold, even going the hard way and bending on edge. Takes time, sure, but it's doable and goes faster than you might think if you've got a wedge for your steel table or anvil. I like using 3/16"x3/4" for a lot of stuff because it has that "right" look in terms of width and thickness, but is easy to work compared to thicker and wider stock.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Post Thanks / Like

A long weekend, the missus has to work all of it, so away I go on the next piece. The nose seems to be the centerpoint so I cut a piece as a guide point.

Someone (wink wink) offered an idea for the ears. I cut up another propane tank and used pieces of it to see how it would look. I'm liking it.
    Name:  20210528_152320-01.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  20210528_165521-01.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  375.4 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

42. Likes 12V71, psacustomcreations, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

T'was a fine Saturday... I like the way the ears came out, not so much the gap at the bottom of them:
    Name:  20210529_083418-01.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  203.1 KB
    Name:  20210529_091936-01.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  107.7 KB

I also like the way the cub came out:
    Name:  20210529_083426-01.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  129.3 KB
    Name:  20210529_134821-01.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  208.8 KB

Can I tuck a small rod into the gap under the ears and weld a (hopefully) nice bead over it to fill in the gap? Or is there another method anyone can suggest?
    Name:  20210529_134834-01.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  126.3 KB

Tomorrow will be eyebrows and eyes.
    Last edited by Shootr; 05-29-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

44. Likes psacustomcreations, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist