+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

As for the gap, adding a rod is fine. That's usually called, slugging.
    If you using stick, 6010 or 6011 will work to fill it. They both are fast freeze rods. Depending on skill level, you can move rod into puddle, blackout, so puddle cools, and then move back in.
    Mig is even easier, just turn machine down.
    Once filled, depending on how you did, reset machine and run over it.
    It maybe easier to grind high spots and then run over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes psacustomcreations, Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's method is how I would do it. Use a piece of a welding rod, scrap rod, etc and bend it to shape to mostly fill the gap between the ears and head. Then run over it with MIG. You could even run over it with TIG if you want.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

4. Likes Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Filler rod is likely the easiest option at this point if you aren't happy about the gap... another would be to spend a little more quality time with the grinder to make the fitment closer before tacking. You will still see a crack or joint however...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Taking a lunch break and watching the Indy 500. The rod worked well - my welding skills...let's just say I'm still the poster child for "grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't".

After three passes with grinding in between got it to where I'm happy enough. Got the eyes done too. This afternoon is the angry eyebrows lol.

Name:  20210530_080159-01.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  96.0 KB
    Name:  20210530_085218.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  88.2 KB
    Name:  20210530_104631-01.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  249.4 KB

Thank you all again (and again) for advice and guidance - I'm thinking/hoping this may be one of my better efforts.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

7. Likes psacustomcreations, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might get shot at for saying this on a welding site, but if you're going to grind and paint it anyway, JB Weld is a lot easier to grind....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

More progress this afternoon. Got a lot of the mouth done (that's not it's final place). Should finish it and the nose up tomorrow - the nose should pull it all together - the piece on there now is just a place holder.
    Name:  20210530_183851-01.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  286.1 KB

I thought I kept the work are pretty squared away - but the polishing wheel has other ideas...
    Name:  20210530_144559-01.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  222.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shootr;8815239]More progress this afternoon. Got a lot of the mouth done (that's not it's final place). Should finish it and the nose up tomorrow - the nose should pull it all together - the piece on there now is just a place holder.

I thought I kept the work area pretty squared away - but the polishing wheel has other ideas...

As for polishing and grinding, a die grinder is really nice for artwork. I bought the Metabo variable speed compact die grinder at add with my old Milwaukee die grinder.

The variable speed is definitely worth having. Wire wheels last a lot longer using at slower speeds. It's great for polishing too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Likes 12V71, Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaand - finished!

I think my practicing is starting to pay off:

Name:  20210531-101655-01.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  82.9 KB

I used cold blue to darken some of the features. Hard to get a good pic in the sun showing it though.

Name:  20210531-125920-01.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  193.2 KB

Name:  20210531-130101-01.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  96.6 KB

I learned a lot on this one. Very pleased with the result. Time for a break and figure out what the next one will be. I know the top piece will be an eagle, just have find something that turns me on for the middle.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post

Name:  20210531-130101-01.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  96.6 KB
    I think I'm going to have to lose the smoking spirit for this project. I think the bears came out so good (IMO) that I want to keep it more traditional and the bottom one just doesn't fit.

Maybe I'll cut a hole in the top of his head, weld in a hemisphere - and sell it as an ashtray!

Also last night it came to me - a moose. I think a moose would fit with the Pacific NW vibe, and be a little humorous as well. Soo Bear, Moose, Eagle - I still need to decide on a 4th.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Shootr, the new addition looks great! I'm from the Pacific Northwest and your piece would look at home here in the land of totems.
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

16. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
    Shootr, the new addition looks great! I'm from the Pacific Northwest and your piece would look at home here in the land of totems.
    Right on, thanks! I am tickled with how it came out and hope the next one's are a little cleaner each time.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BD1;8815269]
    More progress this afternoon. Got a lot of the mouth done (that's not it's final place). Should finish it and the nose up tomorrow - the nose should pull it all together - the piece on there now is just a place holder.

I thought I kept the work area pretty squared away - but the polishing wheel has other ideas...

As for polishing and grinding, a die grinder is really nice for artwork. I bought the Metabo variable speed compact die grinder at add with my old Milwaukee die grinder.

The variable speed is definitely worth having. Wire wheels last a lot longer using at slower speeds. It's great for polishing too.
    I have 1/4" electric die grinder - it's a little unwieldy but I get by with it. I also have an 1/8" flex shaft rotary tool - I really used that a lot on this one and like it as well.

This weekend I'm going to dig into the smoking spirit. Cut a hole in the top for a stainless bowl to sit as the ashtray, along with cigar rests around the perimeter. On the back of the head I'll make a steel "pocket" to hold a lighter and cutter. Next, I think I'm going to add a large brim to the hat - big enough to set a couple glasses of scotch on lol. Lastly I will go over the whole thing with scotchbrite discs and clear coat it.

I think it will be cool - we'll see what the market thinks.
    Last edited by Shootr; 06-03-2021 at 05:04 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shootr;8815629]
    Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

I have 1/4" electric die grinder - it's a little unwieldy but I get by with it. I also have an 1/8" flex shaft rotary tool - I really used that a lot on this one and like it as well.

This weekend I'm going to dig into the smoking spirit. Cut a hole in the top for a stainless bowl to sit as the ashtray, along with cigar rests around the perimeter. On the back of the head I'll make a steel "pocket" to hold a lighter and cutter. Next, I think I'm going to add a large brim to the hat - big enough to set a couple glasses of scotch on lol. Lastly I will go over the whole thing with scotchbrite discs and clear coat it.

I think it will be cool - we'll see what the market thinks.
    Maybe use the small propane torch to heat up some areas of the smoker to add color?

If you are careful, you can get some nice straw color all the way to dark blue.

Then apply the clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

20. Likes whtbaron, LtBadd, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also last night it came to me - a moose. I think a moose would fit with the Pacific NW vibe, and be a little humorous as well. Soo Bear, Moose, Eagle - I still need to decide on a 4th.
    I don't think I've ever seen a moose in western Oregon, but in Anchorage AK, you can see them in your back yard as a friend of mine has.

22. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=psacustomcreations;8815650]
    Maybe use the small propane torch to heat up some areas of the smoker to add color?

If you are careful, you can get some nice straw color all the way to dark blue.

Then apply the clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    I like that idea. I have been staring at it and trying to figure out where it would be good to do.

Do I just try random splotches or stripes, or try to make it look like clothes?

All I've come up with so far is to color the top and soon to be brim so it stands out more like a ball cap. Maybe the arms and legs to look like sleeves and pants?
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a moose in western Oregon, but in Anchorage AK, you can see them in your back yard as a friend of mine has.
    On a fishing trip we drove from Fairbanks to Valdez and saw a bunch along the way - I can certainly see how they kill people and total cars - much bigger than most people think.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shootr;8815721]
    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

I like that idea. I have been staring at it and trying to figure out where it would be good to do.

Do I just try random splotches or stripes, or try to make it look like clothes?

All I've come up with so far is to color the top and soon to be brim so it stands out more like a ball cap. Maybe the arms and legs to look like sleeves and pants?
    I would probably darken the areas where the arms and legs join the body. Then leave the tops or middle parts lighter. That would help to create some contrast like it is in shadow.

While I was initially thinking you could use that to create the chin/beard or differentiate between the mouth and knees, I am second guessing that.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

27. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got most of the parts fabrication done this morning - when it hit 107 around noon - that was enough for this day.

Name:  20210605_095455-01.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  20210605_120415-01.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  275.7 KB

I cut a slot for the brim to slide into and it's nice and stiff. Scared to death of trying to run a decent looking bead all the way across the joint. Thinking of a couple tacks underneath, and maybe an 1/8" rod bent to cover the joint and tacked at each end.

Name:  20210605_120446-01.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  345.7 KB

Name:  20210605_120436-01.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  289.1 KB

I should be able to finish it up tomorrow - liking the progress though!
    Last edited by Shootr; 06-05-2021 at 05:02 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

29. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, wb4rt, whtbaron, VaughnT, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I should be able to finish it up tomorrow - liking the progress though!

Me too!

107 ugh. No thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

31. Likes BD1, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used round , flat stock , and even small angle to conceal a gap or opening.
    Form to fit and only tack on ends where it can be blended by sanding or grinding.
    I’ve used multiple round stock thicknesses
    to give a different look too.
    Forming small angle gives a nice appearance too. It depends on what you prefer.

33. Likes Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like that "end table", Shootr. Everything about it is just perfect, and I can easily see someone wanting that for their cigar bar or man cave.

Looking at it, I think I prefer the hole-in-the-head technique for joining the two pieces, too. While the bearing race works, I think the big gap that it leaves takes something away from the flow of the two sections. With the hole in the head, though, the top section would sit down a little deeper and look more like the whole thing was carved from one steel log.

Next time I find some old gas bottles.....

35. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I really like that "end table", Shootr. Everything about it is just perfect, and I can easily see someone wanting that for their cigar bar or man cave.

Looking at it, I think I prefer the hole-in-the-head technique for joining the two pieces, too. While the bearing race works, I think the big gap that it leaves takes something away from the flow of the two sections. With the hole in the head, though, the top section would sit down a little deeper and look more like the whole thing was carved from one steel log.

Next time I find some old gas bottles.....

Thanks! I agree with the stacking comment - even though "the smoker" is no longer destined to be part of the totem pole, future spirits will be mounted much closer together. I've had some buddy's offer great suggestions on the hat brim: Stick rods with no flux because they look like tiny rope (like Pat and BD1 noted earlier), twisted copper wire to look like braiding, etc. It's 9am, 96 degree's, and time to get to it!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas for filling the crack

I will need to remember that. Thanks, guys

:

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work shooter, I am very impressed. Do you plan on putting some heat on it to add any color, keeping it shiny steel and clearing over or just letting nature have at it with rust in hopes it will darken and almost look like wood? There are chemicals you can use to stain the metal to specific colors but I don’t know much about them. Perhaps other members can share what they know. Looks good man keep it going
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

39. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heck yeah!

Really stoked with how it came out. Final touches include a pouch on the back for lighters and cutters, heat "staining" the arms, toes, and hat brim, and clear coating after I ran over it with a 120grit flapper. I cut up a stainless steel pipe and shaped them into cigar rests, then welded them to a common stainless steel salad bowl for the ashtray.

Name:  20210606_132605-01.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  327.3 KB

Name:  20210606_132622-01.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  401.0 KB

Name:  20210606_132534-01.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  361.5 KB

Practice, practice, practice...

Name:  20210606_100752-01.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  305.1 KB

Name:  20210606_100724.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  81.7 KB

I'm thinking in the $400-$500 range - guess I'll see.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

41. Likes 12V71, VaughnT, LtBadd liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist