+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

Couple beauty/promo shots for the ads...
    Name:  20210606_190040-01.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  392.0 KB

Name:  20210606_190121-01.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  406.1 KB

Name:  20210606_190139-01.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  434.8 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes 12V71, BD1, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That turned out great ! Nice job Shooter.
    Are there any bar / smoke shops by you ??
    I went to one in Florida. They had full bar, cigar shop, nice seating with couches and lazy boys.
    Now that's where that beauty belongs.
    Hopefully they have something similar.
    Many places are becoming popular for beer and cigar smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes VaughnT, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Couple beauty/promo shots for the ads...
    Name:  20210606_190040-01.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  392.0 KB

Name:  20210606_190121-01.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  406.1 KB

Name:  20210606_190139-01.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  434.8 KB
    You are under pricing yourself. And, see BD1’s comment: A smoking cigar shop would snap that up in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes VaughnT, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I'm thinking in the $400-$500 range - guess I'll see.
    At the very last minute, when you're strapped for cash and don't have a choice. Sure.

Until then, ask $1500. Hell, I'd put $2000 on it, then let them talk me down. If you're happy with $500, anything over that it just more gravy on the biscuit!

Marketing it to places around the country makes it very easy to reach wealthier clientele

It doesn't hurt you one bit to hold onto it for a year while you try to find the "right" buyer. If you don't have a cigar bar in your area, shop it out to the nicer places in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Downtown Vegas, etc.

Are you posting pictures of it on any of the cigar aficionado forums where a wealthy member might decide he wants it for himself? Have you reached out to any of the Cigar Bars through their websites to let them know it's there for the buying?

The only downside to marketing something like this to the cigar bars and other aficionados of tobacco is that they might just decide that they want another one or three. Don't say no when they ask you for more. They understand that they're custom orders and will vary in design even if you try to make them identical.

And hurry up with some kind of brass/pewter tag to mark them as yours.

Post Thanks / Like

Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    At the very last minute, when you're strapped for cash and don't have a choice. Sure.

Until then, ask $1500. Hell, I'd put $2000 on it, then let them talk me down. If you're happy with $500, anything over that it just more gravy on the biscuit!

Marketing it to places around the country makes it very easy to reach wealthier clientele

It doesn't hurt you one bit to hold onto it for a year while you try to find the "right" buyer. If you don't have a cigar bar in your area, shop it out to the nicer places in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Downtown Vegas, etc.

Are you posting pictures of it on any of the cigar aficionado forums where a wealthy member might decide he wants it for himself? Have you reached out to any of the Cigar Bars through their websites to let them know it's there for the buying?

The only downside to marketing something like this to the cigar bars and other aficionados of tobacco is that they might just decide that they want another one or three. Don't say no when they ask you for more. They understand that they're custom orders and will vary in design even if you try to make them identical.

And hurry up with some kind of brass/pewter tag to mark them as yours.
    This post will be easy for me. “Everything Vaughn said.”

And no matter what your asking or final selling price is, make it clear that this is the shootr introductory creation and similar additional pieces will be priced higher

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 06-07-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    :

9. Likes VaughnT, psacustomcreations, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Vaughns response.

Pricing unique items or art is tough. As a beginner, it is even harder.

Resist pricing it for what you would pay for it.
    Price it so the customer knows they have a unique item and can brag on it.

You are very good at product photography. That alone brings the price up.

I just had an art show this past weekend. My best one ever. I sold a number of high priced items and the customers all felt they were still getting a good deal. That in turn makes me want to raise my prices even more.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

11. Likes Shootr, VaughnT, gregket1, BD1, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

I just had an art show this past weekend. My best one ever. I sold a number of high priced items and the customers all felt they were still getting a good deal. ****That in turn makes me want to raise my prices even more. ****

AKA "Win Win"

:

Post Thanks / Like

Resist pricing it for what you would pay for it.
    So true!

As the maker, you're the world's worst pricer. That's just the nature of the beast for some reason.

You will always see the flaws in what you make, and never really value it as high as you should.

Plus, if you do stick a $2000 price tag on it and have to wait a couple months to find a decent home for him.... that just gives you time to plan what tools you're going to buy with the money.

Make a list of the things you think would help build more of the little fellas. Drool over that list. Make bullet points and prioritize things. Revise the list ten times.

It's kinda fun and it makes waiting for the right buyer a lot easier. Sure you could sell it for $500 tomorrow, but that would cut down on the number of neat new toys you could buy.

14. Likes 12V71, psacustomcreations, Lis2323, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need any help spending your money, let us know. We are experts at spending other people's money.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

16. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, VaughnT, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need any help spending your money, let us know. We are experts at spending other people's money.

I think you do a pretty darn good job on your own, Pat.

:

18. Likes BD1, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shootr - I have nothing I could possibly add to these professional artists - outside of how blown away I get looking at that - and watching it come together. Truly - a tremendous job that will pay you dividends and inspires hacks like me to experiment more!

Just look at this side by side start to finish! Well done!

Name:  Combo.PNG
Views: 328
Size:  1.26 MB

20. Likes VaughnT, Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing on unique pieces is tough. It's not like silverware dragonflies or birds that go for $15 to $25.
    My Darth Vader log burner was a first larger piece. First time, unique pieces, are time consuming. Getting the layout and best perspective takes time. We need to get paid for that.
    I set my price for $1000.00. I got many offers but not what I wanted.
    I wasn't going to sell for less.
    I sold it this year for the $1000.00 and the woman bought it instantly. She wanted it no matter what and was thrilled getting it.
    It only takes the right person. When they see it and want it, price doesn't matter.
    If they try to negotiate, they aren't the right person.
    I did my first show yesterday, Sunday. It wasn't like a normal show. Weather was fine but no food vendors allowed because of covid. I know this had a impact on customers. I sold the most ever on my $80.00 to $125.00 pieces. They all were bought without negotiating. They saw them and wanted them. That was really nice.
    I wasn't aware they were judging the vendors. It was a pleasant surprise.
    Name:  5B70463E-3368-40ED-8AFA-96EE02190A33.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  168.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

2nd place can be good or bad because 2nd place is the 1st loser. I'm always in awe of the creativity I see at flea markets and such where people have turned simple things into artwork and wonder why I didn't think of that. Shootr must have some pretty creative whiskey meds. that appear to be working great. Shootr should make a toilet base for his cigar smoker. It would be a perfect match! Your price is way too low! It should be at least $1500 and probably more. If something like that was commissioned for a city park or something, it would be a $50000+ project. The chrome balls in the link below were $600,000!!!

https://edmontonsun.com/2017/08/11/k...private-please

23. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Pricing on unique pieces is tough. It's not like silverware dragonflies or birds that go for $15 to $25.
    My Darth Vader log burner was a first larger piece. First time, unique pieces, are time consuming. Getting the layout and best perspective takes time. We need to get paid for that.
    I sold it this year for the $1000.00 and the woman bought it instantly. She wanted it no matter what and was thrilled getting it.
    It only takes the right person. When they see it and want it, price doesn't matter.
    I did my first show yesterday, Sunday. It wasn't like a normal show. Weather was fine but no food vendors allowed because of covid. I know this had a impact on customers. I sold the most ever on my $80.00 to $125.00 pieces. They all were bought without negotiating. They saw them and wanted them. That was really nice.
    Congratulations on the win and sales. I had a show this past weekend as well but will talk about it my scrap metal thread so I do not derail shootr's thread more than normal.
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 06-07-2021 at 06:15 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I think you do a pretty darn good job on your own, Pat.

Well, I am still trying to convince BD1 he needs a metal lathe and so far he is resisting me. What do you think, does Bob need a metal lathe?
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

26. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I wish we could sit around with beers and cigars and talk in person!

I swear, the coolest part is getting constructive tips and ideas that pay off with so many positive comments. When I finished the cigar rests, put it all together, and set it in the grass - that's the point where I sat back, realizing it's completed, and a big smile comes over me. And it's satisfying. The hours flew by. Mistakes were made and lessons learned. As far as I know, that is how a hobby is supposed to be lol.

It usually takes me a week or so to recharge and get focused on the next thing, which for me is getting back to the totem pole. I need to find some more bottles and get after it.

I listed it for $1400 on several sites. I don't belong to any cigar forums but I will. Emailed a couple local lounges with pics to see if they have any interest. Yes, I am my own worst critic, I see the "flaws", and have a hard time believing anyone would pay big bucks for my stuff. I have 6 things listed currently, but all I get are "not interested, but it sure is cool" notices. HEY - that don't pay the bills!!!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

28. Likes VaughnT, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always hardest at the start. Then your name gets known and everyone wants to buy in to the "cool". Next thing you know, you're swamped with orders and you start thinking how it's looking an awful lot like a real job. You want to say no, but you can't bring yourself to turn down one of those big checks they're waving at you. Or, you might, but the wife won't let you because she likes that private jet and she wants dinner in Maui next week.

It's a rough life.

You could be the next Albert Paley.

30. Likes Shootr, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wait until you learn about "Exposure Dollars".
    People and companies will ask you to donate that or another item to them for free. You will be paid with the exposure of having your product seen by their customers or followers. Who of course will contact you to buy something from you.
    Sounds like a great deal right? I had a guy with 15 followers on Instagram and 30 YouTube videos with each having less than 100 views contact me to give him a product of mine.
    Don't be surprised if a shop asks you to put it in their place for "Exposure".

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

32. Likes gregket1, VaughnT, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Congrats, Bob! A great day for a deserving guy.

:

34. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the coolest thing about this is it being a hobby. That is if it is just a fun side hustle that you don't have to depend on for financial support. With that in mind it makes it easier to set a higher price and stick to your guns knowing it won't brake the bank to sit on it for a while. I really like the flying to Hawaii in a private jet " that'll be the day" !
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

36. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wait until you learn about "Exposure Dollars".
    Love me some Exposure Dollars!!

Had a local store try much the same except they wanted me to pay them, too. Of course, they wanted those stupid US Treasury Notes in my wallet rather than the stockpile of Exposure Dollars I had at home. It was odd, too, because I promised to talk them up all around town if they'd just put some of my ironwork in their window. Surely all that exposure would have meant a ton of customers flocking to their doors! No matter how much I tried, though, they wanted those little green slips of paper in trade for their Exposure Dollars. I guess they thought my Exposure Dollars were counterfeit or something.

38. Likes gregket1, psacustomcreations, jkarl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about any flaws. They make it unique. People have scars and other flaws anyway. If it was a steel structure or pipeline, you wouldn't want any flaws. It's a cool piece!

Post Thanks / Like

Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

I guess they thought my Exposure Dollars were counterfeit or something. [/QUOTE]

Dang counterfeit Exposure Dollars.
    Nice work, Shootr!

41. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New bottles! Trying to speed up the venting process:

Name:  20210608-161624.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  140.4 KB

Oh yeaaaaahhhhh

Name:  20210608-162420-01.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  140.6 KB

First thoughts: Cut them in half to make 4 pieces/spirits. Each would be about 24" tall. I like that - one is to be a moose, another an eagle. Moose has antlers and eagle has wings I know, duh) so being a little taller than the others will probably keep the proportions in a good place.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

43. Likes 12V71, N2 Welding, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

shooter I along with others like Bob love to spend others money with that said I think you need a metal roller that will roll metal radius's.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

45. Likes BD1, gregket1, VaughnT liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist