Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    4,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    If that was Ron Covell in the video, he does lots of workshops and had a regular series in Street Rodder magazine under Professor Hammer... try googling those 2 names for a bunch of stuff on sheet metal work. I watched customizing genius Gene Whitfield work with one of those slappers and I was amazed. That's what inspired me to make my own. Making a wooden bowl stump in the shape of a Model A fender is also on my to-do list. The baseball bat hammer is no joke... if you check out some of the metal shaping at the HAMB (Hokey *** Message Board... it's for guys into traditional rodding) that's a favorite among the shape shifters. Of course then you'll also want a power hammer and an English Wheel...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  2. Likes Shootr liked this post
  3. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If that was Ron Covell in the video, he does lots of workshops and had a regular series in Street Rodder magazine under Professor Hammer... try googling those 2 names for a bunch of stuff on sheet metal work. I watched customizing genius Gene Whitfield work with one of those slappers and I was amazed. That's what inspired me to make my own. Making a wooden bowl stump in the shape of a Model A fender is also on my to-do list. The baseball bat hammer is no joke... if you check out some of the metal shaping at the HAMB (Hokey *** Message Board... it's for guys into traditional rodding) that's a favorite among the shape shifters. Of course then you'll also want a power hammer and an English Wheel...
    He also has started a YouTube channel with a Lot of good videos.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  5. #53
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Sometimes it's a matter of not knowing what tools are out there. When I search youtube, I try to keep things open-ended in the search terms. Too specific makes it too specific, if you get my drift. I'll search for "making a fender" even though I don't care one iota about making fenders. The techniques the guy uses are pretty much the same as I'd need for forging heavier stock and it opens up more options for videos. For awhile, I was on a "tinsmithing" kick and it was fun to watch for interesting tools in the background. I was surprised at how many new videos it brought up that had nothing to do with tin-working, and that led me down the path of copper-smithing, auto-body work, etc. It's like the search algorithm is just waiting to drop more videos, but won't do it unless you shake things up a bit.

    Once you've made a metal stump like in the video, you'll kick yourself for not making one sooner. With a slapper and a couple bats, you can do some crazy shapes in sheet metal and it really opens the floodgates in terms of what you can build. Wooden dishing stumps are great, of course, but there's something to be said for the heft of a steel stump. When I made mine, I back-filled it with all kinds of crap from the shop and about 30# of sand -- keeps it really stable and deadens any ring it might have. Just need to get a wider base on it so it doesn't rock as much.

    My LWS gave me an acetylene tank that is condemned, but dang - not sure if it is stump-worthy...

    From what I'm learning, it's filled with some kind of porous media (asbestos, crushed fire brick - seems like lot's of different things could be in it), acetone, and acetylene fumes. The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is:

    How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? I'm assuming filling with water and cutting it open can be done safely - but am I left with a toxic smelly mess to try and dispose of? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  6. #54
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    4,509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    My LWS gave me an acetylene tank that is condemned, but dang - not sure if it is stump-worthy...

    From what I'm learning, it's filled with some kind of porous media (asbestos, crushed fire brick - seems like lot's of different things could be in it), acetone, and acetylene fumes. The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is:

    How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? I'm assuming filling with water and cutting it open can be done safely - but am I left with a toxic smelly mess to try and dispose of? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    I would be super careful with that, because of the filler and acetone those cylinders can off-gas for quite some time. If... you can unscrew the valve and wash the filler out completely with a high pressure water jet, I dont know if I would mess with it.

  7. #55
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Oh my... I'm so happy with tonight's progress!

    Name:  20210415_191723-01.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  246.0 KB

    Name:  20210415_191745-01.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  203.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  8. #56
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    453
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Is that dude smoking a cigar in a public area? Hope he brought enough for everyone.

    Nice job looks great

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  9. Likes Shootr liked this post
  10. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle. I guess it could be a bell or two as well - but my question is: How nasty are these things to make safe and clean out? Maybe leave it in the firepit to dry and then burn it off?
    Shallow dishes aren't bad dishes. It might limit you a bit, but not as much as you think. And it'll certainly get you by until you find another tank with a deeper dish!

    Don't worry about the contents of the tank. Some dish soap and water will flush out all the remaining acetylene or whatever might be in there. As soon as you fill it up to the top so it's 100% full of water, there's no room for the gas to exist even inside the strata that the tank might be filled with. Leave it sit for a couple of days, check to see if the water level has dropped, indicating that it's penetrated deeper into the sponge-like filler that might be inside the tank, and top if off if necessary.

    Even gasses that are heavier than air.... aren't heavier than water. The water will force the gas up and out the spout as long as you've got the valve removed.

    I don't think you'll have any problems at all, but better safe than sorry as they say. Fill it with water and soap, let it sit for two days, then pour it out and cut it open.

    If there is some kind of filler medium in there.... it's not a problem for you. Just leave it in there. When you put a flat plate on the bottom, whatever filler material is left in the cylinder will only help deaden any ringing, making the stump far nicer to work with.



    That little copper pig tail sticking out the bottom is the only way I could ground the thing as I welded the base on. Oddly enough, just the weight of the stump was enough to get me a good connection and I didn't have any problems running a semi-decent bead. Whatever the alloy of those cylinders is, it welds really nice!

  11. Likes Shootr liked this post
  12. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    The bottom is dished, but shallower than an O2 bottle.
    Just to put my money where my mouth is.... here's the Steel Puck of Awesomeness!

    Back ages ago, my dad bought some plastic pucks that are used by sheet-metal guys when making thinks like fenders and tanks. Seemed like a good idea, but too small and too flimsy for blacksmith work. So.... a few got turned on the lathe just to see if they'd be handy.



    15 angle, if memory serves, and only about 1/2" deep. I've forged many many many a dish on these things including a ladle that I've never actually used since I forged it!


  13. Likes Shootr liked this post
  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Is that dude smoking a cigar in a public area? Hope he brought enough for everyone.

    Nice job looks great

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I keep a few around for friends...

    Name:  20210416_103043-01.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  200.3 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  15. Likes VaughnT, 12V71 liked this post
  16. #60
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    I think I'm pretty much done with this piece (to be the base). Fingers, nose, knees and shoulders today. Cut a grinding ball into 1/4's and shaped to fit the arms and legs. (Killed 1 HF grinder and 5 zip discs.)

    The nose is bent and formed and fitted 18ga sheet.

    Name:  20210417_142712-01.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  414.9 KB

    Name:  20210417_142739-01.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  408.0 KB

    Name:  20210417_142759-01.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  428.9 KB

    I'm fairly pleased with it. Still some blending/grinding to do, and I think I'll make a necklace - a sea turtle, the missus loves her turtles!

    Spittin' image?

    Name:  20210417_171356-01.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  116.0 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  17. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pensacola , Fla
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Nice work,well that explains the Stogy, No complaints yet from the Cancel culture. not me I think its fun
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

  18. Likes Shootr liked this post
  19. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    1,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Shootr, that guy turned out looking great! (not the live one, the steel one. LOL), it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?

  20. Likes Shootr liked this post
  21. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    4,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?
    My vote is to leave both unpainted.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  22. Likes Shootr liked this post
  23. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a Rock
    Posts
    6,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    First time looking at this thread.

    I think the totem pole looks great.

    Like I said from the beginning when you first came to this board,

    You have great artistic ideas
    But your welding is a little crappy.

    I see the welding skills are coming along a bit.

    Keep it up.

    You obviously have a vision of what the accomplished project should look like.

    And so far everything looks great.

    Even though some of those original projects will probably fall down and kill a small dog.


    LoL

    Nice going you sicko.

    Just kidding.

    Boy that stogie looks good.
    I wish you were my neighbor
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221


    True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

  24. Likes Shootr liked this post
  25. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Martha Lake, WA
    Posts
    340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    That came out awesome. Too bad you couldn't clear coat it. I think it looks great shiny!
    Tweco Fabricator 211i
    Sieg X2
    AMT radial arm drill press
    AMT belt/disk sander
    HF 4X6 bandsaw

  26. Likes Shootr liked this post
  27. #66
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Shootr, that guy turned out looking great! (not the live one, the steel one. LOL), it's got character. Are you planning on painting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    My vote is to leave both unpainted.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No paint, I like the weathered rusty look. Plus it helps hide the flaws!

    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    First time looking at this thread.

    I think the totem pole looks great.

    Like I said from the beginning when you first came to this board,

    You have great artistic ideas
    But your welding is a little crappy.

    I see the welding skills are coming along a bit.

    Keep it up.

    You obviously have a vision of what the accomplished project should look like.

    And so far everything looks great.

    Even though some of those original projects will probably fall down and kill a small dog.


    LoL

    Nice going you sicko.

    Just kidding.

    Boy that stogie looks good.
    I wish you were my neighbor
    I wish you were my neighbor too - I'd gladly trade cigars for welding tips. 18ga and thinner gives me fits and I still struggle with dialing in settings correctly. Sometimes I guess and it's spot on, other times it takes a bit to get in the ballpark. My cheat sheet is slowly growing though and I don't practice enough.

    If the dog's in my yard, it's probably taking a dump (that the owner NEVER picks up) - so I'd chalk it up to karma if the basta@rd got squished someday...
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  28. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    1,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Great looking totem. I vote for the clear coat or let 'er rust if that bakes yer biscuit!!

  29. Likes Shootr, Lis2323 liked this post
  30. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shootr's New Adventure - Totem Pole Build

    Fantastic work, as always.

    If you want to speed up the rusting, you can hit it with some muriatic acid and a spray down with Peroxide. instant rusting and a real pretty "wood grain" appearance, imo.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 12.45.34 PM.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  47.6 KB


  31. Likes Lis2323, Shootr liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,621,098,578.29422 seconds with 15 queries