+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked John Deere 310D swing tower

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cracked John Deere 310D swing tower

Thanks for the help. I am going to try the grind test this weekend. Would drill shavings tell anything if I drilled in to the crack? I found a thread in a cracked 410d swing frame. Cracked at nearly the same spot. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/th...at&setCookie=1

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by montero1dfw View Post
    Thanks for the help. I am going to try the grind test this weekend. Would drill shavings tell anything if I drilled in to the crack? I found a thread in a cracked 410d swing frame. Cracked at nearly the same spot. https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/th...at&setCookie=1

Mike
    Excellent test, steel will make a continuous chip in most cases where iron will be small flaky chips.

3. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In any case you'll want a skilled welder. If he knows his stuff he will know what to do. I can see a great deal of stress building up in a piece like that. I believe a big heat treat process is in order. Cut it for full penetration weld.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Popeye an old miner;8809590 and if I had my grinder there I could tell you in a minute[/QUOTE]

what u waitin for, get on the phone, he needs u. tell him 2 days @ a thousand a day + materials/move in fee, he's to set u up 2days/3nights at the rowdiest, sleaziest "hotel-saloon" in old downtown memphis, where u can get a new queen each night, and show the locals whose boss. as a bonus, upon completion, he's to give u a milk crate stuffed w/ the finest/smoothest/expensive tennessee whisky's he can get his hands on.
    Last edited by 123weld; 04-08-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    what u waitin for, get on the phone, he needs u. tell him 2 days @ a thousand a day + materials/move in fee, he's to set u up 2days/3nights at the rowdiest, sleaziest "hotel-saloon" in old downtown memphis, where u can get a new queen each night, and show the locals whose boss. as a bonus, upon completion, he's to give u a milk crate stuffed w/ the finest/smoothest/expensive tennessee whisky's he can get his hands on.
    hey Popeye, do ya need a driver ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    suddenly the job sounds somewhat appealing, more like a paid vacation. i, myself, am almost feeling jealous i cant go. the owner might even have the equip needed for the job, and u can make the trip in a car, w/ minimal tools. i was back there 3-4 yrs ago, its like nothing to drive from state to state, as there so small next to oneanother. most of the trip was planned out timewise meeting and visiting particular people. i wish id stayed longer. only had a day or two to do extra things. we stayed w/ a german baptist household/family, so i had to be on my best behavior. that was one dry memeorable week, except for the one night we managed to get out, only cuz it was there towns annual festival/parade.
    being from penn., im sure u understand what i mean, and limited to what extracirricular activities we could do, so it came to three choices on our last days there: 1. go to tennessee to see some campground where the moon or stars light the place up all night or something like that. 2. go to noahs ark, in kentucky. 3. go air mesuem in ohio to see the airforce one, that jfk was alledgely flown back from dallas in. so, #3, i chose, and what a dissapointment it was. i had fun though, enjoyed my stay w/ the german baptist. i was surprised how well the sides of roads were maintained, and liked seeing all the old brick houses, and everyone was so friendly, and them fire flys, are something else
    Last edited by 123weld; 04-09-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post

HELLLLL NO!!!! The price is right but I want the Hilton penthouse for a week, 5 of the highest priced whores money can buy for the whole week, then they gonna KNOW who is BOSS. A bottle of Old Crow and a case of Yuengling Porter upon completion
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 04-09-2021 at 06:11 PM.

9. Likes BD1, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously though, if I was fixin this thing after determining it was cast steel (and Im pretty sure it is) I would weld a piece of 1 1/2" x 6" along the edge of each heavy flange there and cut 2 holes in them wherer the crack is maybe an 1 1/2 long by about 1 inch deep. Drill or burn a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from goin any further.

V out the crack on the outside of the flange first using jet arc, weld 2 runoff tabs each end where the holes I cut in the bar are at. Pre heat it 2 about 350 400 Farinhite. Weld the flange on the outside edge all the way through. Then v out the web section and back gouge the inside of the flange on each side. Weld the web section on one side tying the inside of the flange into it. Backgouge the other side of the web and weld it and the inside of the flange the same way.

Heat it up afterward to about 400 farinhite and wrap it in a blanket. Next day take the blanket off and cut the bars off clean it up and tell the customer to put the ol girl to work
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 04-09-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    Sure come along for the conversation and adventure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Seriously though, if I was fixin this thing after determining it was cast steel (and Im pretty sure it is) I would weld a piece of 1 1/2" x 6" along the edge of each heavy flange there and cut 2 holes in them wherer the crack is maybe an 1 1/2 long by about 1 inch deep. Drill or burn a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from goin any further.

V out the crack on the outside of the flange first using jet arc, weld 2 runoff tabs each end where the holes I cut in the bar are at. Pre heat it 2 about 350 400 Farinhite. Weld the flange on the outside edge all the way through. Then v out the web section and back gouge the inside of the flange on each side. Weld the web section on one side tying the inside of the flange into it. Backgouge the other side of the web and weld it and the inside of the flange the same way.

Heat it up afterward to about 400 farinhite and wrap it in a blanket. Next day take the blanket off and cut the bars off clean it up and tell the customer to put the ol girl to work
    I forgot to mention if the flange is open at all i would weld an eye at each end and pull it together with a comalong before welding the bars on the edges of the flange

Post Thanks / Like

HELLLLL NO!!!! The price is right but I want the Hilton penthouse for a week, 5 of the highest priced whores money can buy for the whole week, then they gonna KNOW who is BOSS. A bottle of Old Crow and a case of Yuengling Porter upon completion
    This would probly kill me and if it didnt Im pretty damn sure Mrs K would cause a very slow painful death afterwards

14. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know Yuengling Porter, But Narragansett Porter is the best beer I ever drank. Like drinking the best slice of buttered dark bread fresh from the oven. If God had anything better, he kept it for himself.

I don't want the whores, you get my share. I'll be your fitter. Yes, I want to try the Porter.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I don't know Yuengling Porter, But Narragansett Porter is the best beer I ever drank. Like drinking the best slice of buttered dark bread fresh from the oven. If God had anything better, he kept it for himself.

I don't want the whores, you get my share. I'll be your fitter. Yes, I want to try the Porter.
    About 12 years a go I was workin near Brandon ( I think thats the name of the little town we were stayin at) Vermont building a dormitory for a college up that way. They had a Porter type beer at the taproom where we ate supper. Good stuff but I dont remember the name of it. The 2 other fellas I was workin with didnt like it but I did. I suppose you got to aquire a taste for Porter just like anything else. Yuengling makes a Black and Tan as well, its a mix of their Porter and Premium beer, its good too. Yuengling dont sell up your way, Ive heard Sam Adams has it all tied up that they cant bring it up there. I dont know if thats true or not

I remember years ago Pizza Hut used to sell a dark Porter type beer in pitchers, back in the day I would eat 3 of there big Pizza pies with all the fixins except anchovies, (never liked them little critters) and drink 3 pitchers of that dark beer. To this day I never knew the name of it, and I dont think they sell it anymore, I havent been to a Pizza Hut in years since i found out the pizza and my wifes homade bread was eatin up my guts when I was about 33 years old so I coukdnt say whether they still sell it or not.

As for the whores, well I was just bein a wiseass, I never was much into that stuff, and since I married this lovely woman 42 years ago I never had no desire to chase another woman. She treats me THAT good.

I have no idea where this guy with the busted backhoe is at but if he was close by Id give this thing a lash, it dont seem all that difficult a fix.
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 04-10-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were in Brandon, working at Middlebury College I'd bet you sampled Drop in Brewery. I've claimed the best beer is their "Heart Of Lothien" If I'm not wrong Lothien is a city in Scotland.

Heart of Lothien is a strong, dark beer. One might be enough. You'll love it, if you don't, I'll finish it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were in Brandon, working at Middlebury College I'd bet you sampled Drop in Brewery. I've claimed the best beer is their "Heart Of Lothien" If I'm not wrong Lothien is a city in Scotland.

Heart of Lothien is a strong, dark beer. One might be enough. You'll love it, if you don't, I'll finish it.
    Middlebury College...yup that was the college. Drop in Brewery dont ring a bell and Heart of Lothien dont ring a bell either, but this was almost 20 years ago

Post Thanks / Like

No Vermonter has even seen the College. Donald Trump isn't rich enough. Brandon is far enough away to have Vermonters, and GOOD beer. Come to think of it Drop In Brewery might not be that old. Otter Creek was around then, Long trail too. It'd be 25 years ago I was doing every November & December walk in cooler energy conservation systems. I was cussing microbreweries. Every beer store had 100 varieties of beer. Coolers were filled past capacity with part boxes of beer, each in a different shaped box. Piling them to the ceiling was simply not going to work! No way I can fly. To work I have to stand on a floor, or my ladder has to.

Post Thanks / Like

About

I have no idea where this guy with the busted backhoe is at but if he was close by Id give this thing a lash, it dont seem all that difficult a fix.

could be he figured it was cheaper to replace the whole backhoe, than to hire us. or he decided to do the job himself, so he could keep all the fun downtown to himself

Post Thanks / Like

im sure glad i got cheap taste buds. just a coors or bud is fine

22. Likes 12V71, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bls repair View Post
    Call John Deere and see what it’s made of.
    Best idea I seen yet....and while you got the man on the phone ask him for a weld procedure for it. IM thginkin its cast steel myself , and if I had my grinder there I could tell you in a minute
    These would be what I would do as well.

Good luck on your repair
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist