Thread: New to me Tig setup ...

Post Thanks / Like

New to me Tig setup ...

My friend and mentor only uses HTP welding machines, and after he convinced me to get a local welding class, he also encouraged me to save my money and buy an HTP welder. I did, of course, and back in 2013 I bought a new HTP Mig 200 welder, which has been 100% flawless so far. So when I told him I wanted to learn and get a Tig setup, since he is no longer welding commercially/professionally, he offered to sell me his HTP Tig setup - the whole thing: HTP Invertig 200 with the water cooler, welder cart (modded to hold two tanks), 25ft ground, 25ft water cooled CK20-R torch, 25-ft CK torch mounted amp control (5-pin), 25-ft foot control (5-pin), inner touch cable cover and outer leather cable snap cover, and all of the rods and tungsten tips he found:

After changing the 220v plug to the one I use in my garage, I did a few simple beads, but decided to start doing some welding to practice for real, so I tried doing some small tacks. I ordered this kit to get me started:

I felt the touch a little heavy for my taste, and I was not yet comfortable with the torch amp control, so I removed it for now and I am using the foot switch until I get more proficient:

These are guts of the water cooled head:

Torch became lighter and easier to maneuver, even did some tacks right handed (I am a lefty):

Did some small tacks:

and a straight weld (both sides):

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to me Tig setup ...

I remembered this 6-sided project "thing" which allowed for tacks and then lots of welding. Since I am getting started I had some small-walled steel - did these at 60Amps, 30CFPH:

Tack:

Lots of welding practice:

I then did it again with 1/8" wall, 125Amp, 30CFPH:

And finally with 1/4" steel, at the full 200Amps, 30CFPH:

Also practiced 1/8" wall side to side:

Group photo of my first welds:

I still need lots more practice, but I am starting to get the hang of things. My next project is a 2x72 grinder, so as I make progress I will post more pictures. I am definitely very happy with my two HTP welders:

3. Likes wb4rt, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The welding looks great!!

The one thing I was taught when doing welds like the 6 sided thing,,
    NEVER start or stop in the corner/end of a part, start or stop in the center of a straight section.
    Then weld while continuously moving as you go around a corner.

This might not seem to matter for a structural part, but, when you need to make a leak tight weld,, it is almost a must.

We had to make a similar assembly, but, we had to put the assembly on a bracket in the weld booth,,
    then, weld the entire thing without ever moving the assembly.
    That is a little more like what real life is like when welding on a ship,,

After we welded it, including flat caps on the ends, the assembly was pressure tested (after filling with water) to 3,500 PSI.
    Mine did not fail, there were only 3 that did not fail out of 70 welders.

Post Thanks / Like

I have much to learn, but thank you for your kind words. And thanks for the tip about welding through the corner - makes sense now that you explain it. I will definitely practice doing some of those welds

Post Thanks / Like

Machine looks great! A classic!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

You may drop the cfph down some, someone here said twice the number of the cup you are using. You might want to invest in some gas lens and 2% Lanthanated electrodes.
    Yes sir a 2" X 72" grinder you will love it here is my second on, buy Jeremy Schmidt's plans $20 great deal. Great project for DIY tig training.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...-Grinder-Build
    Last edited by acourtjester; 04-05-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

THank you Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    You may drop the cfph down some, someone here said twice the number of the cup you are using. You might want to invest in some gas lens and 2% Lanthanated electrodes.
    Yes sir a 2" X 72" grinder you will love it here is my second on, buy Jeremy Schmidt's plans $20 great deal. Great project for DIY tig training.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...-Grinder-Build
    Thanks for the advice. The kit from Weldmonger that I pictured had the gas lens, and I have the 2% Lanthanated on order. I will lower the cfph down to 15-20 with the #8 cup I am using.

And thanks for the link to the grinder project - good to review/study before I get started on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

hey wquiles - when I got my hands on a TIG a few years ago I did something similar with some old, crusty shipping steel to practice! (talk about frustrating - thin, rusted through from the inside at times, coated in what MUST have been toxic to melt off and breathe in - a lot of suspect areas on this thing - but I was learning good lessons! Uuuuuh - Rookie mistake here though - I should have turned it to the "web-thread-post" side where it's prettier! LOL)

But I just kept cutting, cleaning out a new spot, then melting it on - I think I have more sides though!

Nice work on your practice

Name:  learning.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  150.0 KB

10. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    hey wquiles - when I got my hands on a TIG a few years ago I did something similar with some old, crusty shipping steel to practice! (talk about frustrating - thin, rusted through from the inside at times, coated in what MUST have been toxic to melt off and breathe in - a lot of suspect areas on this thing - but I was learning good lessons! Uuuuuh - Rookie mistake here though - I should have turned it to the "web-thread-post" side where it's prettier! LOL)

But I just kept cutting, cleaning out a new spot, then melting it on - I think I have more sides though!

You should list that on ebay, craigslist, or FB market place somewhere. "metal art". It will be worth millions.

Seriously, though - that multi-side contraption with square tube is a slick idea. It also teaches you about part fit up, not just the welding. I have some square around here - cut offs from previous projects - that are sizable enough to cut some slices out of for such contraptions. Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / Like

FlyFishn - LOL - wouldn't that be great - free, sheeeeet shipping steel - recycled - no - UP-cycled into cold green lettuce!

Best part about the "art" side - would be those blow through holes, large bead buildup bubbles from the holes or just plain fugly zippers might not detract from it's "value" !

But seriously - it really - really helped in learning how to control the heat, deal with corners that were thicker vs the middle of the face that was not only much thinner but often paper thin from internal rusting - as you said fit ups, corner joints, butt joints, filling in a hole - or 10! etc. Not to mention- bang for the buck - even with a nice piece of square tube that is 8' - you could get days of welding practice in diff positions even

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post

Nice work on your practice
    Wow - that is so cool to see how your practice "thing" has become so big as you practice more