+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Oh Fishall Fuel Pump Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Oh Fishall Fuel Pump Thread

Back At It

Between not welding for about a month(?), and the continuous eye deterioration (left eye worst), it felt funny to weld again. I truly can't see too well these days, especially running self shielding flux core. It's pretty glary stuff.

And this crap is round

Name:  pump79.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  186.3 KB I just sorta turned the welder up to where I thought it might be in the ballpark. Turns out, it was running a bit hot

Name:  pump75.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  210.7 KB I don't have a positioner, and I have to brace the gun with my left hand to keep it steady...........so I weld stuff like this flat if possible. But it requires a few restarts as I move my bodkin around the pipe. I ain't no pipe welder

Name:  pump76.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  182.6 KB ok.................

Name:  pump77.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  234.0 KB ok................

Name:  pump78.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  194.8 KB not so ok...................... I got some porosity when I messed up one of the transitions between welds. Soon as it cools, I'll leak test it, and if it holds air..........................I AIN'T GONNA MESS WITH IT Sonethin' about letting sleeping dogs lie.....

Post Thanks / Like

IT HOLDS AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walk awayyyy from the welder............................................ .

3. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  pump82.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  197.5 KB The part of the filler neck that attaches to the underside of the bed has a nipple for the inner hose. This is the part that's hard to compensate for when fitting everything up. If the rest of the elbow is too close to this nipple, the inner hose can't make the turn towards the tank.

Name:  pump80.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  184.2 KB I was able to trim the exhaust pipe to fit the clearance for the nipple, and keep it relatively level with the top of the tank inlet.

Name:  pump81.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  206.1 KB The Sch 80 pipe doesn't perfectly fit the hose. I blew this off the first time around, and just tightened the crap out of the clamp. I figured that this time, it should be done better...........and made to fit better. Being behind the rear wheels, this area gets a lot of spray when it's raining. Hate to have any water get in the tank.

Name:  pump83.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  192.6 KB Turned a piece of pipe stub so it would jamb into the part, and tacked it to another piece of pipe for padding the part. I didn't do a great job padding. I just slopped the metal on as best as I could. I had one Hell of a time seeing the difference between adjacent beads when welding (shrug). Probably would have done better if the part was in bright sunshine. Anyways.......is what it is. I probably woulda done better using the stick welder, but I was worried that the metal was too thin.

Knocked the high spots down, and put it on the lathe. I will NEVER do another buildup with that stinkin' flux core. It's hard as diamond, and between embedded slag where the wire brush wouldn't reach, and the interrupted cuts, I ruined a good insert on the tool. 7018 turns like butter, next time I'll either use that, or MIG.

Name:  pump84.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  202.6 KB The insert wasn't cutting too good after it got chipped, but I figured I'd go ahead and just keep it in the tool. No point in ruing another one. The surface finish suffered, but it's gonna be inside a hose............so it's not the end of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  pump85.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  204.6 KB The hose fits nicely, which was the point of the whole exercise I guess

Cut up some pie shaped filler strips for the elbow tomorrow, and weld them up............and hopefully it's a done deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard stuff, especially, but not limited to external cuts screams tool post grinder. I know you don't have one but I also know you could build one. Carry on.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see WTF I'm doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAWD WHAT A MESS Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 258
Size:  13.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

sammm, trying not to get personal, but is the vision problem cataracts?...sounds like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.............I guess it's done. I'm so ashamed of the work that I don't care to show it.

I have welds that trail off into outer space, nowhere near the line. Huge problems with burn through. AND I CHASED LEAKS FOR ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF.

I never got the pie shaped filler right, and wound up using the best of the worst that had some gaps. It's murder trying to fill gaps on 16ga pipe Filling the gaps caused huge droops inside the pipe that had to be hogged out with the die grinder (Thank God for the electric DeWalt die grinder).

I have to admit that I can't run MIG for crap. Actually, never really was good at it when doing thicker STRAIGHT stuff. The thin walled exhaust pipe handed me my head on a platter.

I don't know if it had to do with working outside, but I couldn't get the welder to run on low volts with slow wire feed. I had to run fairly hot with fast wire speed........just to get a good arc, and a decent puddle. I was running 35psi gas, so I figure I was getting some shielding. When the welder ran good, it ran good, but otherwise...........it had a lot of problems with the wire stubbing/popping. Polarity was right, so that wasn't an issue.

Anyways.........................here it is in all its ugly glory

Name:  pump86.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  198.1 KB Using the hinged piece to allow for really precision adjustment of the fitup was a good idea. I gained a good deal of positive slope that should help drainage in between the outer/inner hose. And, using 2" exhaust pipe made for a ton of air void near the filler neck, where it has had a tendancy to pool. I hope to God that I got it right this time.

If we can get ahold of a guy, and he's around on the 4th.................we intend to make about an 80mi round trip tomorrow. I'll top it off before we leave, run off the tank all the way there, and fill it before we head back. That should tell me if the new filler neck is working. 40 miles, running empty, should burn about 5-6 gallons..........enough to allow for gas sloshing back up into the outer hose, and enough tank space to find out if it'll take gas again after the top-off.

Was a miserable day, and the chest is hurting a bit..............I'm hoping it's just muscular. So...................after it was all put together.............K'kins said I could have a bonus Beer Nite. She's a peach. She has a tiny cough lately........I hope she sees what's happened to me, and starts to think about quitting.

Got lined out for a visit with an ENT dood on Tuesday (for the sinus mass thing), and approvals for a lung dood later this month, with a biopsy scheduled sometime in the same period.

So................................

Post Thanks / Like

Now, assuming your test run proves it works, i would have to build a guard to protect the filler assembly from a tire blow out.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

We topped off when we got to Bristow, and ran 120 miles to Stillwell (about 5mi from the Ark border), switched to the front tank before the turnaround, then topped off again in Muskogee on the inbound trip. It took gas on the second top off, so it's a success Full flow, pump handle locked on max. It just needed more space for air flow between the inner/outer hose!!!!!!! And maybe the slight improvement on the incline helped to drain the pooled gas that works its way back into the outer hose from the full tank sloshing around. Either way............we're in business!!

"i would have to build a guard to protect the filler assembly from a tire blow out." Absolutely, I've been thinking about it. I hadn't thought about a blowout, but was thinking about rocks being thrown up by the tires.

As far as the dood that was closer.................he either gets off his butt, and finishes out what we paid him for, or he's gonna get a very unfriendly visit. This trip today cost a ton of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you figure out the leak?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    Did you figure out the leak?
    Oh yeah, I did that before I installed it. It was just frustrating to chase the leaks LEAKS for all that time. I made a mess of the welds And I felt like an idiot trying to get my damn mouth around the stinkin' tube to blow into it while plugging it with my free hand K'kins thought it was funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, What the Hell...........

I've been so upset about this, that I didn't want to get into it. But, there's another thread where a guy's having trouble welding a piece on a jeep frame..................

This is a breakdown of the ultimate ugly.

To give ya some background. I have this small bottle I bought when I bought my first wire welder (the little HH135), and it's still on the ORIGINAL FILL Now it's on the 'new' welder. I DON'T DO MIG. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall...........75/25 gas. I'm still at 500psi on it after all these years, and most of it was on this fiasco of a disaster.

Name:  pump87.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  235.0 KB

Name:  pump88.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  241.5 KB

I could NOT get a good puddle unless the damn welder was set on #3 tap, 50 wire speed. Hobart 190 wire welder.

If I kept the settings high, and ran fast, I got half azzed sorta results. At least a puddle, and a sorta bead. Anything lower on settings, and the puddle turned into a mess.................popping, no wet out, absolutely a mess.

It did well filling voids. I had about 1/4 max voids due to crappy fitup. I was surprised at how well MIG will fill a canyon. Not pretty, but fairly easy.

I have to drag when I weld. Don't gimme crap about it.........it's just the way I'm used to welding. I'm a stick, and flux core, guy. My eyes are so bad that I can't see the damn joint behind the nozzle as I drag. Not enough light, and I'm near sighted in the left eye, and far sighted in the right eye Add cataracts to the mix, and ya got a HOLY MESS.

Anyways................if this helps anybody, I'm cool with it. You have to stick with the proper parameters,, and modify your travel speed to suit the parameters. You can't weld like you're used to welding with other processes. (I don't want to figure out pushing the gun, but I have to I guess)

K'kins had just about enough of me on Saturday. I was "grouching, and grinching" and she was fed up with it. So.................when I get some free time, I guess it's time to learn to use this crap.

Post Thanks / Like

The crappy thing is....................I have to do the welds on what I think is a straight line. I can't see the joint once the arc is struck. I just keep the gun moving in what I think is a straight line. This F'n sucks.

I can see fine where there's a huge gap because there's a lot of air space, but the rest............might as well use Braille.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist