+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to me machine day partially anyway

Post Thanks / Like

new to me machine day partially anyway

I have been looking for a horizontal boring mill for a while and one finally came available about 350 miles away Im 2 trips into it and have 2 more to get it disassembled and hauled the good part is once its here I shouldn't run out of travels and table space for a while here is some pictures of the table of course a rain storm just came through. its cleaned up now, total weight will be around 40000 lbs but it was 13' wide so I had to disassemble it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to me machine day partially anyway

Wowza, that's a chunk of iron.

3. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must me trying to keep up with Brian bloc on you tube. He has a gigantic mill like this
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap. Looking forward to seeing it set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

im trying to figure out what machines in the shop to get rid of so I can get it in and be usable
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    im trying to figure out what machines in the shop to get rid of so I can get it in and be usable
    We had a similarly sized Horizontal boring mill in our shop, it turned out to be my favorite machine.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping its useful once its set up, right now, I have a clapped out cincy #3 vertical and 80% of what I try to do could either be done in a tight bridgeport or I run out of travel and height.

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping its useful once its set up, right now, I have a clapped out cincy #3 vertical and 80% of what I try to do could either be done in a tight bridgeport or I run out of travel and height.
    Our Horizontal mill was a 4 inch Meuser, Full pendant control after the feed levers were set, it was capable of feeding EVERY AXIS on the machine at the same time. Buy or build an angle plate and also try to get your hands on a rotary table.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 04-06-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  mesmerized.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  32.7 KB

12. Likes VaughnT, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  mesmerized.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  32.7 KB
    LOL at this one.... same here - hear "new machine" - didn't expect to see a 40,000lb unit! LOL

14. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it came with a 32 or 36" square rotary table and a home built 48" angle plate. facing head, the tail support and a pallet full of line boring bars so fairly well equipt but never everything of course.

Post Thanks / Like

That's seriously gorgeous. Part of me wants to hit it with some clear poly and use it as the dining room table!

Post Thanks / Like

it came with a 32 or 36" square rotary table and a home built 48" angle plate. facing head, the tail support and a pallet full of line boring bars so fairly well equipt but never everything of course.
    That's awesome, did it have any mill holders or facing mills? Sounds like a nice relatively complete package. enjoy! You NEED some very high precision levels for setup, the ones we used to set up our mill were STARRETT, don't remember what model but were accurate to .00010 per foot, they were so sensitive that breathing on them would effect change in the bubble, had to set them & let EVERYTHING normalize together, ambient temperature will affect the level too, a good trammel may be ok too.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 04-09-2021 at 10:58 PM.
    JEFF

18. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe want to look at some of bcbloc02 videos on you tube of his setting up a big boring mill.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a morse 5 taper and didnt come with any end mill holders im trying to find an adjustable retaining key i dont know how big of face mill i can run on On morse 5 so that kind of stuff is what im in the proccess of ordering and finding. Im not look forward to the process of leveling it at all

Post Thanks / Like

Well bcbloc02 also made a video of making a retaining key.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a morse 5 taper and didnt come with any end mill holders im trying to find an adjustable retaining key i dont know how big of face mill i can run on On morse 5 so that kind of stuff is what im in the proccess of ordering and finding. Im not look forward to the process of leveling it at all
    Our mill had a CAT 40 holder, I have to wonder how well a #5 morse taper would hold with a face mill in it, if it happened to start chattering I can see how it might screw something up real fast. How old is this mill?
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

the guy said it was a 1971 but I didn't verify it could be older it came off of a naval base. dont know why they would have had it. it has the retaining key slot for holding morse cutters in. but we will see. all the cast surfaces still had the scraping marks and it has ground hard ways couldn't see any damage on them but until its here I can't really look it over to see if I bought a lemon or a good machine.

24. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

&1 is only a couple of years older than ours was, it would have been around a 73 or 74.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably make replacement parts for your 16" naval gun mount on that thing. You do own a 16" naval gun don't you??????????????

27. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol no naval guns for me coundnt find powder anyway. I ended up buying an international 4800 Digger derrick on an air force base so that is turning into a cluster trying to get it off the base. Need to get a sponser to get on the base or i guess just have a trucking outfit pick it up not sure how to deal with base access. That is going to tie me up for a while before i can get the rest of the mill

Post Thanks / Like

lol no naval guns for me coundnt find powder anyway. I ended up buying an international 4800 Digger derrick on an air force base so that is turning into a cluster trying to get it off the base. Need to get a sponser to get on the base or i guess just have a trucking outfit pick it up not sure how to deal with base access. That is going to tie me up for a while before i can get the rest of the mill
    Sounds familiar.

I bought an abandoned vehicle from an Army base. The act of just getting through the gate to pick it up, was almost like applying for a passport. I'm surprised they didn't ask for a DNA sample. We spent over 2hrs just getting on base

The real hoot................they just waved us through on the way out. (WOW!) I could have had the base commander lashed to the trailer, and they wouldn't have noticed

30. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The air base in OKC has auctions on some government surplus site. I forget which one.

Anyways, I bought some steering tires for one of the big trucks. Got a good price on the bid.

But!!!!! The way they run the thing there............all stuff that's on the auction site is warehoused in a low security section that's just off base. You go there, show your paperwork, and they load your truck. No messing around with base security. And!!!!! they had some big stuff in that warehouse.........machinery, vehicles, equipment. I was really impressed with the way they run it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really impressive looking table... looking forward to seeing the whole machine put back together!

Me, I'm just starting to think I need a knee mill!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

33. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Sounds familiar.

I bought an abandoned vehicle from an Army base. The act of just getting through the gate to pick it up, was almost like applying for a passport. I'm surprised they didn't ask for a DNA sample. We spent over 2hrs just getting on base

The real hoot................they just waved us through on the way out. (WOW!) I could have had the base commander lashed to the trailer, and they wouldn't have noticed
    My daughter in law works security at a nearby airbase, a few times I've had to go pick her up for whatever reason, sometimes they look at my drivers license, but most of the time when I tell them why I'm there they'll just wave me through, other times they just tell me to pull forward & off to the side, but it's still on the base.
    JEFF

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist