+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to me machine day partially anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to me machine day partially anyway

Congratulations. Throw up a lean-to and keep all the machines.

Have you seen Raymond Menendez (TheMetalRaymond) on youtube? No commentary, just one skilled dude in Spain working his horizontal mill.

Post Thanks / Like

finally all the stars alined and I made it back to montana to get the base of my mill. still need one more trip but it will be a run up there and run back last part can be loaded with forklift easily. this piece was 21000 lbs and had to be lifted off a sub base and rolled out of the building hopefully I can get the last piece next week and start figuring out where im going to put it in the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

3. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They are fun to run.
    They great tool when need one.
    My self like ones where table does not rotate. The rotation is great paper but turn as you run the machine.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    I have been looking for a horizontal boring mill for a while and one finally came available about 350 miles away Im 2 trips into it and have 2 more to get it disassembled and hauled the good part is once its here I shouldn't run out of travels and table space for a while here is some pictures of the table of course a rain storm just came through. its cleaned up now, total weight will be around 40000 lbs but it was 13' wide so I had to disassemble it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Have you seen Raymond Menendez (TheMetalRaymond) on youtube?
    That guy's pretty amazing, isn't he? I love that turntable on his main mill.

Years ago, when I was still an ignorant kid, I turned down a small horizontal mill because I was wholly ignorant of the things and never thought I'd get much use out of it. If only I'd have known!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a G&L?

Post Thanks / Like

finally had time to get this thing in the shop, rented a 15000 forklift because every machine in the shop had to come out to get this in. the smaller fork and the skid steer did most of the work but the mill, radial, and shaper, were to heavy and couldn't be lifted easily with 2 machines no pictures moving them out. picture of the lathe going out. lifted it off of the trailer with my good old drill rig. haven't seen the shop this empty in years.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

8. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

here is some after the table is on but we still have hours of leveling. the lathe is back in, and the machines that have to be fit back in there I think the shaper is going elsewhere I have no place to put it and I don't use it much at all but I'm sentimentally still attached to it

10. Likes Munkul, whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

here is some after the table is on but we still have hours of leveling. the lathe is back in, and the machines that have to be fit back in there I think the shaper is going elsewhere I have no place to put it and I don't use it much at all but I'm sentimentally still attached to it
    Would have been the perfect time to fire up an airless sprayer and get some bright white paint on those OSB walls.

12. Likes whtbaron, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that lathe is no joke.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Wow that lathe is no joke.
    Yeah, I bet we could thread a few rifle barrels on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

the worst part bout the lathe is i have already ran out of swing on it, not length though have used most of it many times. its tired and close to the chuck is fairly inaccurate so get it to within .005 then do it with emory cloth but it works most of the time for what I do. would like to replace it with an accurate 4' bed and just have this one for the longer work, but no room no room. this was a quick move everything out, and move it back in, because I needed my trailers back. so no time to paint if we slow down one of these winters, painting will keep the guys busy for a while
    Last edited by idacal; 06-05-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When you do get to paint, you'll find that older OSB will soak up a pile. Might be easier and not much more money to cover it in white metal. You get the added bonus of better spark protection.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Painting osb is not to bad if you use an oil primer first. Water base primer keeps bleeding through

Post Thanks / Like

the stuff that was painted, was with oil base, most of the shop besides that one corner has sheetrock on top of the osb up 4' for fire. thats where the lathe was and was to tight to work back there. I dont care for metal interior walls in a shop its too sharp once its damaged can't hang anything without special mounts. cant lean anything against the walls without bending it. I was buying osb as needed for temporary projects then using it to sheet the shop, that's why only part of the shop is sheeted or painted, haven't slowed down for 4 years to have time for anything that isn't 100% nessasary

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a pic of an operator standing in front of the machine near the chuck for a size perspective. I know it's a big machine but still can't help but wonder how tall it is.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

That skid plate under it is 10’8” wide it its about 9’ tall facing chuck is 24” with as much shop space as ittakes im having second thoughtS about it. may just put it up for sale, Its easy to get out now we will give it a month and see how much we use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a beast of a machine. I bet if you get rid of it, a job will come in that absolutely would have required the capacity...

What is the lathe, what make? It looks like around 17-19" swing? It's a similar problem to most older lathes these days, they all need bed grinds...
    Last edited by Munkul; 06-07-2021 at 05:42 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

the lathe is a monarch 60 series 20" swing about 13' between centers definitely needs some work, might replace it next year will see how this year goes.

Post Thanks / Like

That's bigger than the photos suggest, then! What a unit.
    Probably worth the cost and hassle of a bed grind...
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

idacal, thank you for sharing your new machine project in search of wider travels and larger work envelope.

There were jobs in mind when you started on the hunt for a bigger capacity machine. Hopefully once the first one comes up, the extra floor space will seem like a reasonable inconvenience.

With regards to how much shop space it is taking up, ... maybe this is a dumb idea ... but could you "when not in use" travel the table up close to the head stock and then park a bunch of fork-lift-able stuff at the far end? The steel floor bracing looks like it would block any roller cabinets, wire racks, or the like.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious what the radial arm drill is? That would be super handy to have.

Post Thanks / Like

its a 4' jet its defiantly not american iron but it works decent gets quite a bit of flex when really working though if I was to get another I would get a heavier older one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist