+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to me machine day partially anyway

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

new to me machine day partially anyway

I have been looking for a horizontal boring mill for a while and one finally came available about 350 miles away Im 2 trips into it and have 2 more to get it disassembled and hauled the good part is once its here I shouldn't run out of travels and table space for a while here is some pictures of the table of course a rain storm just came through. its cleaned up now, total weight will be around 40000 lbs but it was 13' wide so I had to disassemble it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to me machine day partially anyway

Wowza, that's a chunk of iron.

3. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You must me trying to keep up with Brian bloc on you tube. He has a gigantic mill like this
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap. Looking forward to seeing it set up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

im trying to figure out what machines in the shop to get rid of so I can get it in and be usable
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    im trying to figure out what machines in the shop to get rid of so I can get it in and be usable
    We had a similarly sized Horizontal boring mill in our shop, it turned out to be my favorite machine.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping its useful once its set up, right now, I have a clapped out cincy #3 vertical and 80% of what I try to do could either be done in a tight bridgeport or I run out of travel and height.

Post Thanks / Like

Im hoping its useful once its set up, right now, I have a clapped out cincy #3 vertical and 80% of what I try to do could either be done in a tight bridgeport or I run out of travel and height.
    Our Horizontal mill was a 4 inch Meuser, Full pendant control after the feed levers were set, it was capable of feeding EVERY AXIS on the machine at the same time. Buy or build an angle plate and also try to get your hands on a rotary table.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 04-06-2021 at 11:08 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

They are fun to run.
    They great tool when need one.
    My self like ones where table does not rotate. The rotation is great paper but turn as you run the machine.

Dave

I have been looking for a horizontal boring mill for a while and one finally came available about 350 miles away Im 2 trips into it and have 2 more to get it disassembled and hauled the good part is once its here I shouldn't run out of travels and table space for a while here is some pictures of the table of course a rain storm just came through. its cleaned up now, total weight will be around 40000 lbs but it was 13' wide so I had to disassemble it.

Post Thanks / Like

Painting osb is not to bad if you use an oil primer first. Water base primer keeps bleeding through

Post Thanks / Like

the stuff that was painted, was with oil base, most of the shop besides that one corner has sheetrock on top of the osb up 4' for fire. thats where the lathe was and was to tight to work back there. I dont care for metal interior walls in a shop its too sharp once its damaged can't hang anything without special mounts. cant lean anything against the walls without bending it. I was buying osb as needed for temporary projects then using it to sheet the shop, that's why only part of the shop is sheeted or painted, haven't slowed down for 4 years to have time for anything that isn't 100% nessasary

14. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see a pic of an operator standing in front of the machine near the chuck for a size perspective. I know it's a big machine but still can't help but wonder how tall it is.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

That skid plate under it is 10’8” wide it its about 9’ tall facing chuck is 24” with as much shop space as ittakes im having second thoughtS about it. may just put it up for sale, Its easy to get out now we will give it a month and see how much we use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a beast of a machine. I bet if you get rid of it, a job will come in that absolutely would have required the capacity...

What is the lathe, what make? It looks like around 17-19" swing? It's a similar problem to most older lathes these days, they all need bed grinds...
    Last edited by Munkul; 06-07-2021 at 05:42 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist