+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New machine after returning to welding advice.

Post Thanks / Like

New machine after returning to welding advice.

Hey guys I got out of welding at the end of 2016 after 9 years of doing it. But quit after finishing nursing school. I miss building things and now after home purchase and settling everything and having the space again. Now I’m in the market for a new machine my old Hobart 10,000 kicked the bucket. So I’m looking to get into a good mig with the option for dc tig.

I rarely worked with aluminum so ac isn’t that important and if I decide to do more I’d just get a dedicated tig from aht or primeweld.

But I’m looking to buy in a couple weeks.i checked out some everlast but the warranty concerned me after looking into it more and having it serviced so i decided against that. I’m looking at the multimatic 235 and 255. I can’t find much on them other than the specs.

Now granted I’m not gonna be doing production work anymore nor will I be tigging up any root passes for X-ray lol hell I won’t be hammering part after part ever again if I can help it!! But I’m finding it hard to pass the 255 up. Im just not sure whether the extra grand on cyberweld is worth the amperage and mig pulse.

I welded my last 4 years with a 252. I put thousands of pounds of wire at least 3-4 44lb rolls a week and she never had a hiccup minus drive rollers once. So that 255 upgraded inverter of the 252 is calling me hard but is it worth it over the 235. For just trailer work, building bed frames out of 4x4 tubing, and general repairs? I’ll Mostly be welding 1/4-3/8 and half inch sometimes and possible body work on project truck I’m doing. That’s why I’m looking at the pulse as much as I am.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting back into what I loved so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New machine after returning to welding advice.

Quote Originally Posted by drussell0104 View Post
    Hey guys I got out of welding at the end of 2016 after 9 years of doing it. But quit after finishing nursing school. I miss building things and now after home purchase and settling everything and having the space again. Now I’m in the market for a new machine my old Hobart 10,000 kicked the bucket. So I’m looking to get into a good mig with the option for dc tig.

I rarely worked with aluminum so ac isn’t that important and if I decide to do more I’d just get a dedicated tig from aht or primeweld.

But I’m looking to buy in a couple weeks.i checked out some everlast but the warranty concerned me after looking into it more and having it serviced so i decided against that. I’m looking at the multimatic 235 and 255. I can’t find much on them other than the specs.

Now granted I’m not gonna be doing production work anymore nor will I be tigging up any root passes for X-ray lol hell I won’t be hammering part after part ever again if I can help it!! But I’m finding it hard to pass the 255 up. Im just not sure whether the extra grand on cyberweld is worth the amperage and mig pulse.

I welded my last 4 years with a 252. I put thousands of pounds of wire at least 3-4 44lb rolls a week and she never had a hiccup minus drive rollers once. So that 255 upgraded inverter of the 252 is calling me hard but is it worth it over the 235. For just trailer work, building bed frames out of 4x4 tubing, and general repairs? I’ll Mostly be welding 1/4-3/8 and half inch sometimes and possible body work on project truck I’m doing. That’s why I’m looking at the pulse as much as I am.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting back into what I loved so much!

Also just to add I just had my shop reWired and had a couple of 50 amp breaker and wiring to match added for compressor and welder.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist